Which of the new recruits do you see playing significant snaps as a freshman

Dagerow

38 minutes ago, brophog said:

I think college football is past that model, which is one reason for the redshirt rule change. With so many early entrees now, redshirting can actually cost you a year rather than gaining one. Transfers are so common teams really need that influx of young talent. The kids expect to play early. How many times do we now hear a kid commit and say he’ll spend 3-4 years at that university.

They’re also just more ready to play early. Some of these kids are just behemoths and the high school schemes more than ever resemble college systems. With all of the year round training, camps and the like, it’s just a different beast these days. 

I know true freshman play more. But I think we will have more than average playing this year and maybe next year due to depth, which I don’t think will be as much of an issue after Frost is here a few more years. 

1 hour ago, brophog said:

I would expect Washington to get the most carries, but situationally one is used more than the other. At the end of the season a breakdown of 2 backs, R, and QB. How that breaks down exactly will have a lot to do with how effective the R is out of the backfield. 

The one one thing to definitely expect is fewer called QB runs. That was often the best option when we needed a few yards, but we don’t want to put unnecessary wear on the QB. It’s a big reason why we got Mills. 3rd/4th and very short killed a lot of drives last year.

I think Maurice Washington is gonna have a huge boost from this offseason, especially with the time spent on Duval.  I expect big things from Washington this year and I don't know that Mills will be used as much as people think.  

2 minutes ago, Beez said:

I think Maurice Washington is gonna have a huge boost from this offseason, especially with the time spent on Duval.  I expect big things from Washington this year and I don't know that Mills will be used as much as people think.  

I agree on Washington, but Frost hasn’t had a RB with more than 13 carries per game as a head coach, and it’s very rare to have a RB get 20 in any one game. So, expect opportunities for other backs, whether that be Mills or someone else.

• Fire 1
10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Not sure what people see in Mills that makes them think he’ll start over Washington. 

As others have said, it’s not that he’ll start over Washington.  It’s that he will get significant meaningful carries.  Not just for situational areas, but also to allow Washington to stay fresh throughout the year.  

I also expect most number of our new rbs to get carries, but they won’t be at key times (unless they show something significant during practice or in games).  There is a lot a very good and speedy rbs in this class.

12 minutes ago, Dagerow said:

There is a lot a very good and speedy rbs in this class.

It’s a great class. Johnson is very fast, with exceptional acceleration. We’re taking Thompkins somewhat to stay in good graces with a very important school, but moreso because he has tremendous upside if he gets healthy. He’s got good speed, but he also runs with a lot of power. I think it was Frost that said he wondered if we’d keep him if he hadn’t torn that second ACL because everyone wanted him.

Then there is Mills, whose problems are between his ear holes. On the field he was a freshman All-American and preseason All-ACC player as a sophomore. I hope the tough love approach Held uses gets through to him, because he could be making a lot of money one day after playing in this offense.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Dagerow said:

As others have said, it’s not that he’ll start over Washington.  It’s that he will get significant meaningful carries.

I’m talking specifically about the people who say Mills is going to start. Unless they indicate they think Washington will be on the field a lot at the same time, this implies to me that they think Mills will start over Washington. 

I think we’ll see Washington and Robinson on the field together a lot more often than Mills and either of them. 

Wandale is the closest to a 'lock' for pt imo anyway.  After that honestly it could be anyone.  So many talented young guys but they're all green.  A lot of learning curve to be had if you're an o linemen or on defense but we have some excellent coaches who I think could have someone much better prepared than our previous staff would have if and when they happen to play this year.

7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I’m talking specifically about the people who say Mills is going to start. Unless they indicate they think Washington will be on the field a lot at the same time, this implies to me that they think Mills will start over Washington. 

I think we’ll see Washington and Robinson on the field together a lot more often than Mills and either of them. 

I would expect both to "start". I doubt many think that Mills is better than Washington. Washington could be special and will probably be moved around the field. Mills is more of a true RB and I think will play along side Washington. Just depends on the situation which many have already mentioned.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Wandale is the closest to a 'lock' for pt imo anyway.  After that honestly it could be anyone.  So many talented young guys but they're all green. 

This class is so driven, I wouldn’t put anything past them. We would have seen more young guys last year had it not been for some injuries. Sounds like most of those guys are on pace with their recovery.

Offensively, I also like both Chase and Nance to get early consideration. Nance is here early, and Chase is the most developed of the receivers. 

Defensively, it’ll depend more on how numbers shake out. Several positions could be forced into early action.