Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dagerow

Which of the new recruits do you see playing significant snaps as a freshman

Recommended Posts

I think most agree that Frost got a great recruiting class.  The question is which will make the most impact next year.  

 

The easy and obvious answer starts with Wandale Robinson.  But who else?  This, to me is more complicated due to existing depth.

 

My top 3:

Wandale

Mills (if he makes it here)

Noa

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to include our new grad transfer to the DL from Okla State--    Darrion Daniels .   Not a traditional  recruit  but he will have a big impact on the D. 

 

But I agree with you top 3. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

Wandale for sure

Benhart has a pretty good shot at starting early

I agree with Noa as well

A sleeper might be Darien Chase

 

Agree - except I'd say Nance has a better chance to play as freshman over Chase since Nance is here this spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wandale and anyone who is in a position we’re thin at.

 

It’ll be nice in a year or 2 when we aren’t as thin and there are just a few true freshman stars we expect to play. This year I wouldn’t be surprised if 6 or more redshirts are burned.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how they could keep Wandale R on the bench.  He has too much talent to hide.  As was stated Nance probably sees duty as well.  I think we are only an injury away to any already thin position, of having a freshman step in and play. OL, DE CB, S and RB.  Some of these kids may get tossed in the fire early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. Wandale - freshman 
  2. Mills - juco
  3. Daniels - grad transfer 

I think there will def be more than that, especially with the 4 game rule. Benhart, Pola-Gates, Henrich, Nance, Johnson, Nelson...

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

Wandale for sure

Benhart has a pretty good shot at starting early

I agree with Noa as well

A sleeper might be Darien Chase

Benhart is a great talent and I think he will have a good career here. However, he needs some time in the weight room and training table. He may see some snaps this year, but I don’t see him starting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:
  1. Wandale - freshman 
  2. Mills - juco
  3. Daniels - grad transfer 

I think there will def be more than that, especially with the 4 game rule. Benhart, Pola-Gates, Henrich, Nance, Johnson, Nelson...

This is what I kinda see as well.  Good chance that Daniels and Mills start with Wandale getting some reps. Could definitely see Johnson, Chase, Nance all contributing depending on whether Williams, Woodyard, McQuitty, Miles Jones step up and stay healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Ty Robinson. I think he takes a shirt but I think the coaches get as much out of the 4 game rule as possible with this kid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Benhart is a great talent and I think he will have a good career here. However, he needs some time in the weight room and training table. He may see some snaps this year, but I don’t see him starting. 

 

He’s a lot like Jaimes was, a guy you don’t really want to start but it may be needed. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

 

It’ll be nice in a year or 2 when we aren’t as thin and there are just a few true freshman stars we expect to play.

 

I think college football is past that model, which is one reason for the redshirt rule change. With so many early entrees now, redshirting can actually cost you a year rather than gaining one. Transfers are so common teams really need that influx of young talent. The kids expect to play early. How many times do we now hear a kid commit and say he’ll spend 3-4 years at that university.

 

They’re also just more ready to play early. Some of these kids are just behemoths and the high school schemes more than ever resemble college systems. With all of the year round training, camps and the like, it’s just a different beast these days. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, brophog said:

 

He’s a lot like Jaimes was, a guy you don’t really want to start but it may be needed. 

Agree. If he starts, it’s a bad sign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not sure what people see in Mills that makes them think he’ll start over Washington. 

 

I would expect Washington to get the most carries, but situationally one is used more than the other. At the end of the season a breakdown of 2 backs, R, and QB. How that breaks down exactly will have a lot to do with how effective the R is out of the backfield. 

 

The one one thing to definitely expect is fewer called QB runs. That was often the best option when we needed a few yards, but we don’t want to put unnecessary wear on the QB. It’s a big reason why we got Mills. 3rd/4th and very short killed a lot of drives last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, brophog said:

 

I think college football is past that model, which is one reason for the redshirt rule change. With so many early entrees now, redshirting can actually cost you a year rather than gaining one. Transfers are so common teams really need that influx of young talent. The kids expect to play early. How many times do we now hear a kid commit and say he’ll spend 3-4 years at that university.

 

They’re also just more ready to play early. Some of these kids are just behemoths and the high school schemes more than ever resemble college systems. With all of the year round training, camps and the like, it’s just a different beast these days. 

 

 

I know true freshman play more. But I think we will have more than average playing this year and maybe next year due to depth, which I don’t think will be as much of an issue after Frost is here a few more years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wandale is the obvious choice. Gates needs to get alot bigger I think it may take a year for him. I think benhart and Nelson have a shot at playing early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brophog said:

 

I would expect Washington to get the most carries, but situationally one is used more than the other. At the end of the season a breakdown of 2 backs, R, and QB. How that breaks down exactly will have a lot to do with how effective the R is out of the backfield. 

 

The one one thing to definitely expect is fewer called QB runs. That was often the best option when we needed a few yards, but we don’t want to put unnecessary wear on the QB. It’s a big reason why we got Mills. 3rd/4th and very short killed a lot of drives last year.

 

I think Maurice Washington is gonna have a huge boost from this offseason, especially with the time spent on Duval.  I expect big things from Washington this year and I don't know that Mills will be used as much as people think.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Beez said:

 

I think Maurice Washington is gonna have a huge boost from this offseason, especially with the time spent on Duval.  I expect big things from Washington this year and I don't know that Mills will be used as much as people think.  

 

I agree on Washington, but Frost hasn’t had a RB with more than 13 carries per game as a head coach, and it’s very rare to have a RB get 20 in any one game. So, expect opportunities for other backs, whether that be Mills or someone else.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Not sure what people see in Mills that makes them think he’ll start over Washington. 

As others have said, it’s not that he’ll start over Washington.  It’s that he will get significant meaningful carries.  Not just for situational areas, but also to allow Washington to stay fresh throughout the year.  

 

I also expect most number of our new rbs to get carries, but they won’t be at key times (unless they show something significant during practice or in games).  There is a lot a very good and speedy rbs in this class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dagerow said:

There is a lot a very good and speedy rbs in this class.

 

It’s a great class. Johnson is very fast, with exceptional acceleration. We’re taking Thompkins somewhat to stay in good graces with a very important school, but moreso because he has tremendous upside if he gets healthy. He’s got good speed, but he also runs with a lot of power. I think it was Frost that said he wondered if we’d keep him if he hadn’t torn that second ACL because everyone wanted him.

 

Then there is Mills, whose problems are between his ear holes. On the field he was a freshman All-American and preseason All-ACC player as a sophomore. I hope the tough love approach Held uses gets through to him, because he could be making a lot of money one day after playing in this offense.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dagerow said:

As others have said, it’s not that he’ll start over Washington.  It’s that he will get significant meaningful carries.

 

 

I’m talking specifically about the people who say Mills is going to start. Unless they indicate they think Washington will be on the field a lot at the same time, this implies to me that they think Mills will start over Washington. 

 

I think we’ll see Washington and Robinson on the field together a lot more often than Mills and either of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wandale is the closest to a 'lock' for pt imo anyway.  After that honestly it could be anyone.  So many talented young guys but they're all green.  A lot of learning curve to be had if you're an o linemen or on defense but we have some excellent coaches who I think could have someone much better prepared than our previous staff would have if and when they happen to play this year.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

I’m talking specifically about the people who say Mills is going to start. Unless they indicate they think Washington will be on the field a lot at the same time, this implies to me that they think Mills will start over Washington. 

 

I think we’ll see Washington and Robinson on the field together a lot more often than Mills and either of them. 

I would expect both to "start". I doubt many think that Mills is better than Washington. Washington could be special and will probably be moved around the field. Mills is more of a true RB and I think will play along side Washington. Just depends on the situation which many have already mentioned.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Wandale is the closest to a 'lock' for pt imo anyway.  After that honestly it could be anyone.  So many talented young guys but they're all green. 

 

This class is so driven, I wouldn’t put anything past them. We would have seen more young guys last year had it not been for some injuries. Sounds like most of those guys are on pace with their recovery.

 

Offensively, I also like both Chase and Nance to get early consideration. Nance is here early, and Chase is the most developed of the receivers. 

 

Defensively, it’ll depend more on how numbers shake out. Several positions could be forced into early action. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×