Grading the 2019 Recruiting Class - Offensive Skill Positions

Mavric

Grading the 2019 Class  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Each poll only allows for three questions so I'll have to break this into multiple topics.

Husker Online gave grades for each position group for the 2019 class.  I was curious what HuskerBoard thought.

Here's who we signed.  You can find out more about each guy in the link.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
RB - 3 - RAHMIR JOHNSON, RONALD THOMPKINS,  JUCO DEDRICK MILLS
WR - 3-4 - JAMIE NANCEDARIEN CHASE, WANDALE ROBINSON, DEMARIYON HOUSTON
TE - 1 - CHRIS HICKMAN
OT - 3 - MATTHEW ANDERSONBRYCE BENHART, JIMMY FRITZSCHE
OG/C - 2 - MICHAEL LYNN

NT - 0 - 
DE - 4 - ETHAN PIPER, MOSAI NEWSOMBRANT BANKSTY ROBINSON
ILB - 3 - JACKSON HANNAHNICK HENRICHGARRETT SNODGRASS

OLB - 2-3 - GARRETT NELSON, JAMIN GRAHAM

CB - 2-3 - QUINTON NEWSOMEJAVIN WRIGHT
S - 2 - MYLES FARMERNOA POLA-GATES

Early Enrollees: McCaffrey, WRobinson, Nance, Hickman, Banks, Henrich, Nelson

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Grading the 2019 Recruiting Class - Offensive Skill Positions

Probably a homer but here goes:

QB - A - I think McCaffrey was the perfect guy to bring in this year.  He only played QB as a senior (the two QBs ahead of him in HS both went FBS) but he was a good enough athlete to play receiver and other spots until he got his chance at QB.  He is a great athlete but will need some development as a QB.  Prefect guy to bring in and redshirt a year to get some separation from Martinez.

RB - A - We got a JUCO guy who was a freshman All-American at Georgia Tech.  We got a highly-rated guy out of New Jersey who can fly.  And we got a great talent from a Georgia powerhouse who was a bit under the radar due to injuries.  Not sure we could ask for much more.

WR - A - Robinson is tailor-made for Frost's offense.  And then we got speed.  Exactly what Frost wants.

• Plus1 3
51 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Probably a homer but here goes:

QB - A - I think McCaffrey was the perfect guy to bring in this year.  He only played QB as a senior (the two QBs ahead of him in HS both went FBS) but he was a good enough athlete to play receiver and other spots until he got his chance at QB.  He is a great athlete but will need some development as a QB.  Prefect guy to bring in and redshirt a year to get some separation from Martinez.

RB - A - We got a JUCO guy who was a freshman All-American at Georgia Tech.  We got a highly-rated guy out of New Jersey who can fly.  And we got a great talent from a Georgia powerhouse who was a bit under the radar due to injuries.  Not sure we could ask for much more.

WR - A - Robinson is tailor-made for Frost's offense.  And then we got speed.  Exactly what Frost wants.

Completely agree. Was a bit hesitant to give QB an A, bc I think McCaffery needs a couple years to develop - mostly throwing with accuracy and reading pre-snap college defenses. However, as you point out, he’s the perfect fit to stick around and develop while putting separation in classes from Amart. 

1 hour ago, Melby said:

I wonder if McCaffrey ends up at WR. He can play very soon and wouldn't be sitting behind Martinez for the next three years. He hasnt played a lot of QB in HS.  I think the next starter after Martinez will be brought in on the next recruiting cycle.  

I think he would excel at wr but qb is where he needs to be at. For not playing qb much, he actually is fairly polished in his mechanics. He has above average arm strength already. Verdu will mold him into a star at the quarterback spot

1 hour ago, Melby said:

I wonder if McCaffrey ends up at WR. He can play very soon and wouldn't be sitting behind Martinez for the next three years. He hasnt played a lot of QB in HS.  I think the next starter after Martinez will be brought in on the next recruiting cycle.  

That QB then, is already chosen, as we have our 2020 QB commit.

QB  -   I'll be disappointed if McCaf doesn't actually push Adrian for the job.   I think Adrian is excellent but I think Luke will be as well.  He has been around superior football his entire life and no doubt has learned from the very best.   His knowledge of the game should be off the charts and he looks to be every bit the runner and a very capable thrower.  Some comments have suggested he will have a lot to learn but I tend to think he's probably watched and studied as much football as many coaches.

RBs - I think we are upgrading considerably but not sure yet if these are the caliber of backs that the Huskers have always been known for.   Hope so but ?

WRs -  Speed  aplenty.  Size ?   Blocking skills?  Ball skills and hands?   YAC - Yes.

4 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Completely agree. Was a bit hesitant to give QB an A, bc I think McCaffery needs a couple years to develop - mostly throwing with accuracy and reading pre-snap college defenses. However, as you point out, he’s the perfect fit to stick around and develop while putting separation in classes from Amart. 

Yeah, I was going to mention it's probably more of a B grade by itself. He is fairly high ranked but hasn't had the time to really learn all the little things about playing the position. But I went with A when considering other factors.