Grading the 2019 Recruiting Class - Linemen

Mavric

Grading the 2019 Class  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Each poll only allows for three questions so I'll have to break this into multiple topics.

Husker Online gave grades for each position group for the 2019 class.  I was curious what HuskerBoard thought.

Here's who we signed.  You can find out more about each guy in the link.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
RB - 3 - RAHMIR JOHNSON, RONALD THOMPKINS,  JUCO DEDRICK MILLS
WR - 3-4 - JAMIE NANCEDARIEN CHASE, WANDALE ROBINSON, DEMARIYON HOUSTON
TE - 1 - CHRIS HICKMAN
OT - 3 - MATTHEW ANDERSONBRYCE BENHART, JIMMY FRITZSCHE
OG/C - 2 - MICHAEL LYNN

NT - 0 - 
DE - 4 - ETHAN PIPER, MOSAI NEWSOMBRANT BANKSTY ROBINSON
ILB - 3 - JACKSON HANNAHNICK HENRICHGARRETT SNODGRASS

OLB - 2-3 - GARRETT NELSON, JAMIN GRAHAM

CB - 2-3 - QUINTON NEWSOMEJAVIN WRIGHT
S - 2 - MYLES FARMERNOA POLA-GATES

Early Enrollees: McCaffrey, WRobinson, Nance, Hickman, Banks, Henrich, Nelson

1 hour ago, bugeater17 said:

I went with Bs for both.

Benhart and Robinson are both A to At. However, the rest would seem to be projects with loads of upside potential. If either group landed another 4star that would put them into the A category for me. 

The offensive line is an A to me. The fact there is some development needed doesn’t bother me. Offensive lineman often take a couple of years, but when they do start they tend to be multiple year starters. The good offensive lineman that don’t redshirt often leave early, so it can often be a wash. I’m pretty much ignoring Piper/Banks for right now, but of the others I think there are at least 2 starters. The staff wants length, athleticism, and attitude and they got those characteristics.

The defensive line is also an A for me, entirely due to Robinson and Newsom. I would have liked to have seen a prep NG, but Daniels will have to do for a year and maybe that’s where Piper lands. But Robinson and Newsom to me are not only starter quality but maybe future all-conference players. Both have a very high ceiling.

These two areas (O line and D line) were the areas of greatest need in my view on the team.   I think the guys we got are good but may be only one or two potential greats.   We need about 3 more on both sides of the ball.   We trade a WR and a TE for a couple 4 star guys for sure.  Size is there but not sure about the overall athleticism.   We need help ASAP and not sure if we got enough.   I know we recruited hard but came up short I'am afraid.   I like Austin but rebuilding the pipeline and the national reputation will take years to come.

I gave the OL an A because that is far and away the most legit OT candidates we've had in a single class in forever.  All four are potential OTs though word is Lynn will start out at guard because he's a better fit there and we can afford to do that with three other legit OTs.  Benhart should be a four-year contributor and if either of the other two can get close to their potential we'll be set.

Lack of a DT cuts the DL grade but Robinson is legit and I think Newsom will be very solid.  Banks and Piper could both play either side of the ball.