Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Moiraine

Porn

Recommended Posts

Quote

Arizona state Rep. Michelle Udall, R-Mesa, introduced a resolution declaring "pornography is a crisis leading to a broad spectrum of individual and public health impacts."

 

The resolution says pornography "perpetuates a sexually toxic environment that damages all areas of our society."

 

Quote

Utah was the first state in the nation to declare pornography a public health crisis in 2016, but measures have been passed in 11 other states since.

 

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/02/09/health/arizona-porn-public-health/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

 

 

I would need to do more research on it and see what these states’ claims are, but my immediate thought is that things that would indicate it’s a crisis are probably falling. Most/all violent crime has fallen over the years. It’s just talked about more in the news because we have more national news and stuff like that probably makes the news more profitable.

 

So, what are some things that would be indicative of a public health crisis caused by porn? Here are a couple I thought of and they don’t lend creedence to the idea:

 

reported-forcible-rape-rate-in-the-us-si

 

uljcqc1924z11.jpg

 

domestic+violence+1.GIF

 

 

I don’t think we even need to look before the 90’s, because that’s the start of when porn became a lot more accessible, but I’m fairly certain we would see the same trend, just like with most other violent crime data I’ve seen. 

 

If porn is a crisis, we should be seeing big rises in domestic violence and rape, because it’s so much easier to view porn now than it was before the internet.

 

Feel free to chime in with other negative impacts I’m missing. One I didn’t think of is trafficking but even then it’s hard to link that to porn. 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did some research earlier today.  Findings thus far were minimal, much more research is required.

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally off topic but still about porn.

 

How much has the internet done for porn?  For so long it was really thought of as women in porn being exploited and down on their luck and used...but now they are basically in charge of their own sites/webcam stuff, charging 10-20 a month to subscribe (So I have been told, wink wink) and have thousands of subscribers and make crazy money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Totally off topic but still about porn.

 

How much has the internet done for porn?  For so long it was really thought of as women in porn being exploited and down on their luck and used...but now they are basically in charge of their own sites/webcam stuff, charging 10-20 a month to subscribe (So I have been told, wink wink) and have thousands of subscribers and make crazy money.

 

 

Hopefully that's the case with a lot of them. I'm sure many are still being exploited. That is what should be the focus, imo. How are the actors affected? But even if the effects are very negative, it's not a public health crisis. It's something that affects a tiny part of the population and should be more heavily regulated or made illegal for that reason. I'm guessing the people saying it's a public health crisis just want porn to be bad because they think it's bad.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has been a pretty big feminist shift on this issue. Apparently porn and other sex trade industries are now considered empowering for women, and blowjobs are no longer considered an act of subservience, but of control.

 

That's certainly one way to look at it. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

 blowjobs are no longer considered an act of subservience, but of contol.

 

Hey, if that helps increase repetition, they can believe what they want to believe.

 

"Damn, honey. You've got me right where you want me...."

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

But now they are basically in charge of their own sites/webcam stuff, charging 10-20 a month to subscribe

 

s#!t. I've only been charging $7.99!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redux said:

I did some research earlier today.  Findings thus far were minimal . . .

 

Oh, I bet they were.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

 

Oh, I bet they were.

 

What are you implying 

36 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

 

s#!t. I've only been charging $7.99!

 

That's a bargain right there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is where my libertarian side is exposed. 

 

I wouldnt do it and I would hope my family members don’t. 

 

However, if everyone is adult and doing it by their own choice, why should the legal system care and government care?

 

Now, I would support laws that protect preople from being exploited. One issue I can see is if two college coeds from Michigan decide to make a home made porn video and post it on line, what control do they have if that video and if they decide 5 years later they don’t want it on line, what can they do to take it down?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is where my libertarian side is exposed. 

 

I wouldnt do it and I would hope my family members don’t. 

 

However, if everyone is adult and doing it by their own choice, why should the legal system care and government care?

 

Now, I would support laws that protect preople from being exploited. One issue I can see is if two college coeds from Michigan decide to make a home made porn video and post it on line, what control do they have if that video and if they decide 5 years later they don’t want it on line, what can they do to take it down?

Nothing, they can't do a freaking thing.

 

I "made love" to a girl that was in College Girls Exploited, she used a fake name and stuff but whatever...anyway...that stuff is never coming down or going away and that was like 7 years ago and she did it when she was like 19.  Man, did I disappoint her in bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Nothing, they can't do a freaking thing.

 

I "made love" to a girl that was in College Girls Exploited, she used a fake name and stuff but whatever...anyway...that stuff is never coming down or going away and that was like 7 years ago and she did it when she was like 19.  Man, did I disappoint her in bed.

It’s really something that young people will need to be extremely smart about as they get into adulthood. Now that we have the internet, what you possibly do at 19 will never be forgotten. 

 

But, I’m wondering if there are some laws that can be out in place regulating the sites these videos are put on. 

 

Problem is, a site based in Indonesia has nothing to fear from the us government. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It’s really something that young people will need to be extremely smart about as they get into adulthood. Now that we have the internet, what you possibly do at 19 will never be forgotten. 

 

But, I’m wondering if there are some laws that can be out in place regulating the sites these videos are put on. 

 

Problem is, a site based in Indonesia has nothing to fear from the us government. 

Exactly!

 

It is why snapchat is so big...since it "disappears"  even though it really doesn't...but regardless, think you are 20...at a college party...getting smashed off Fireball and you flash the crown, pics get snapped and your boobs end up "out there".

 

I could not imagine being a girl in HS or college right now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Exactly!

 

It is why snapchat is so big...since it "disappears"  even though it really doesn't...but regardless, think you are 20...at a college party...getting smashed off Fireball and you flash the crown, pics get snapped and your boobs end up "out there".

 

I could not imagine being a girl in HS or college right now...

Thank god I grew up without cell phones. 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Thank god I grew up without cell phones. 

Hahah!

 

No kidding!  And the scary thing is, dudes push for the pics and videos in HS and college and girls (not all of them) go for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a few shoe boxes full of 4×6 nudes of girls I fooled around with. Quite the collection. The "cell phone nudes" were just becoming a thing as I was entering college. I say "had" because my last girlfriend (wife now) found them when I was moving stuff out of my parent's house. She had them in the parent's burning barrel before I knew what happened. Always thought that was areally rude thing to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I had a few shoe boxes full of 4×6 nudes of girls I fooled around with. Quite the collection. The "cell phone nudes" were just becoming a thing as I was entering college. I say "had" because my last girlfriend (wife now) found them when I was moving stuff out of my parent's house. She had them in the parent's burning barrel before I knew what happened. Always thought that was areally rude thing to do.

tenor.gif?itemid=10630582

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MLB 51 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10630582

I burned my stash before my ex ever seen them. Huge mistake on my part. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from the very large issue of sexual exploitation in the porn industry as a business, one health cost of the proliferation of pornography is erectile dysfunction. Porn creates neural pathways and rewards your behavior with dopamine hits, which leads to unrealistic expectations of real world sexual encounters, which leads to...basically all sorts of unfavorable trends. It's a supernormal stimulus. Look up how supernormal stimuli work in experiments with animals as examples and come up with your own ideas on whether or not you imagine it'd be a net good or bad.

 

https://www.webmd.com/sex/news/20170512/study-sees-link-between-porn-and-sexual-dysfunction#1

 

I'm on bad wifi and can't pull up any studies related, but I'd imagine it also has links to increases in sexual addiction in general. It's engineered to be an addicting 'substance' or habit. 

 

Here's a good TED Talk on it (i think this is the right one I'm thinking of but again, internet is garbage and I can't get it to load):

 

 

Here's two more studies:

 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27527226

 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21259151

 

 

 

All of those psychological/sociological/relational issues and dangers aside, the issue of abuse and exploitation of women is a huge one. There's a huge link between legitimate sex trafficking and the porn industry, and even outside of that there's all sorts of degrees of informal pressure and trapping of women which is essentially the same thing as sex trafficking.

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I'm not arguing against any of that.  Like I said, I wouldn't do it and hope none of my family does it.

 

Simple question though, do you support banning porn produced by willing and able adults who have freely given their consent?

 

If so, on what constitutional grounds and how do you believe that should be enforced knowing how the internet works?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not arguing against any of that.  Like I said, I wouldn't do it and hope none of my family does it.

 

Simple question though, do you support banning porn produced by willing and able adults who have freely given their consent?

 

If so, on what constitutional grounds and how do you believe that should be enforced knowing how the internet works?

1st Amendment rights come into play.  I think banning it will have the same affect as banning whiskey by Prohibition.  It will create a desire for more.  Ban that which exploids children, sex trafficking and slavery and educate on the rest.   Here is a non-conservative, non-libertarian idea: Tax it and watch our nation debt fall to Zero in 1 month.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 1:30 AM, Landlord said:

Aside from the very large issue of sexual exploitation in the porn industry as a business, one health cost of the proliferation of pornography is erectile dysfunction. Porn creates neural pathways and rewards your behavior with dopamine hits, which leads to unrealistic expectations of real world sexual encounters, which leads to...basically all sorts of unfavorable trends. It's a supernormal stimulus. Look up how supernormal stimuli work in experiments with animals as examples and come up with your own ideas on whether or not you imagine it'd be a net good or bad.

 

https://www.webmd.com/sex/news/20170512/study-sees-link-between-porn-and-sexual-dysfunction#1

 

I'm on bad wifi and can't pull up any studies related, but I'd imagine it also has links to increases in sexual addiction in general. It's engineered to be an addicting 'substance' or habit. 

 

Here's a good TED Talk on it (i think this is the right one I'm thinking of but again, internet is garbage and I can't get it to load):

 

 

Here's two more studies:

 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27527226

 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21259151

 

 

 

All of those psychological/sociological/relational issues and dangers aside, the issue of abuse and exploitation of women is a huge one. There's a huge link between legitimate sex trafficking and the porn industry, and even outside of that there's all sorts of degrees of informal pressure and trapping of women which is essentially the same thing as sex trafficking.

 

 

Abuse has gone down over the years. Porn availability has gone up. 

 

And:

 

Exploitation%20types_05.12.2017-01_0.png

 

Human trafficking overall a gone up but sex trafficking share has gone down. Say trafficking has doubled in the past 15 years. The share of sex trafficking has reduced from 60% to 12% so it has still been a reduction. Meanwhile porn is easier to view. I don’t see an association let alone a cause-effect relationship.

 

Do you have evidence of the “huge link” claims in your last paragraph?

 

 

@TGHusker  The question isn’t whether there are negative consequences of porn usage. Marriages end in divorce due to too much video game usage, too. The question is whether it’s a public health crisis.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×