Huskers Get Transfer Punter from Michigan State

Mavric

William Przystup is staying in the Big Ten.

The former Michigan State punter, who head coach Mark Dantonio last month said planned to transfer, announced Monday on Twitter that he's heading to Nebraska.

"Blessed to become part of @HuskerFBNation and this talented program," Przystup tweeted.

Przystup was part of a carousel of punters used by the Spartans last season because of injuries to starter Jake Hartbarger and Tyler Hunt. Fellow walk-on Bryce Baringer and backup quarterback Rocky Lombardi (in an emergency situation following Harbarger's injury at Arizona State) also saw action.

Przystup, a freshman, was the primary punter in the final four games, including the Redbox Bowl, and averaged 40.6 yards on 27 punts. Nine of his punts landed inside the 20-yard line.

Link

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Nine of his punts landed inside the 20-yard line.

This is by far and away the most important number of the stats commonly kept in punting these days. Gross yardage is a bad punting stat because it reflects more on where the punt started than it’s efficacy. Net punting adds the errors of gross yardage to coverage errors. Unfortunately, like many things in this game, punting stats are woefully inadequate as a metric.

Lightbourn was ultimately benched because he lacked accuracy. He can kick the laces off the damn thing, but his control is non-existent. Punting these days is about precision so your cover team can do it’s job.  We were giving up way too many returns with Lightbourn, despite his big leg.

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, brophog said:

This is by far and away the most important number of the stats commonly kept in punting these days. Gross yardage is a bad punting stat because it reflects more on where the punt started than it’s efficacy. Net punting adds the errors of gross yardage to coverage errors. Unfortunately, like many things in this game, punting stats are woefully inadequate as a metric.

Lightbourn was ultimately benched because he lacked accuracy. He can kick the laces off the damn thing, but his control is non-existent. Punting these days is about precision so your cover team can do it’s job.  We were giving up way too many returns with Lightbourn, despite his big leg.

I agree.  I actually wish they would have a stat of the average distance from the goal line that the punt was downed.  If you have that, you know how accurate the punter is.  Average length of the punt is a little useful because you at least need to know if they guy as a decently strong leg for when you're back up into your own territory.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think would think he is getting a scholarship to transfer from Michigan State to Nebraska.  He was probably getting scholly offers from other schools which he was interested in transferring to.

I assumed the same thing until I read the article Mav posted which states, "Fellow walk-on Bryce Baringer ..." As such, it looks like he was a walk-on at MSU who got some playing time at the end of last year but will now be buried on the depth chart as the starter is now healthy and MSU brought in an Aussie scholarship punter.

My guess now would be that he is coming here to walk-on and try to earn a scholarship after sitting out a year. However, this again is an assumption on my part. 

12 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

I assumed the same thing until I read the article Mav posted which states, "Fellow walk-on Bryce Baringer ..." As such, it looks like he was a walk-on at MSU who got some playing time at the end of last year but will now be buried on the depth chart as the starter is now healthy and MSU brought in an Aussie scholarship punter.

My guess now would be that he is coming here to walk-on and try to earn a scholarship after sitting out a year. However, this again is an assumption on my part. 

Thanks for looking into it further.  I admit I was going off broad assumptions of his status at Michigan State.