Mavric

DL Coach Mike Dawson Takes Job with Giants

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Assistant D-line coach with the Cleveland Browns.

Thanks.

Not the most ideal position group to lose a coach right now.

• Plus1 1

Damn.  It's definitely a bump in the road.  Frost and co hopefully can fill this hole with the right person.  I mean I can't blame Dawson so wish him the best.  

I see Sam already floating Parrella.  Hopefully that is just Sam thinking out loud with no sources.

Scott needs to get the best available DL coach, not some “former player”.

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, YellowShirt said:

Thanks.

Not the most ideal position group to lose a coach right now.

Sort of stinks to lose any coach because of the general turnover we've seen in the program in the last 4-5 years. I was selfishly hoping we'd see this group stay together for at least two full years before any of the assistants took new gigs.

That's the fourth coaching change in that position group in five years, too. I don't remember who it was in Bo's last year (maybe Papuchis?) but after that it was Hank Hughes (fired), Parella (fired/was not retained) and now Dawson.

Edit - Interesting tidbit: most of his professional career has been at the college ranks.

DL coach - give me anyone with true southern ties. That's where the big boys are. I would have loved to get Craig Kuligowski from Mizzou but of course he's at Bama now 

Where were all of the "insiders" on this? During the Frost hiring process you would of thought we had 15 people inside the program!:lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Can we auto ban anyone who mentions Peter or Wistrom as a DL coach?

My trigger finger is itching. :cop:

In seriousness, and in reference to your comment about Parrella, I don't know if that's Sam just speculating or not. My guess is leaning towards speculation. Parrella was a pretty interesting hire the first time around (a lot of people thought it was little more than placating the masses by getting a "Nebraska guy" on the staff). He didn't have much if any division one coaching experience that I can recall. His unit also didn't perform well. Some might view that as more of Diaco's and Riley's fault (they'd probably be right) but the result still is what it is.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

My trigger finger is itching. :cop:

In seriousness, and in reference to your comment about Parrella, I don't know if that's Sam just speculating or not. My guess is leaning towards speculation. Parrella was a pretty interesting hire the first time around (a lot of people thought it was little more than placating the masses by getting a "Nebraska guy" on the staff). He didn't have much if any division one coaching experience that I can recall. His unit also didn't perform well. Some might view that as more of Diaco's and Riley's fault (they'd probably be right) but the result still is what it is.

That's the issue with Parrella.  His unit didn't play well.  Whose fault was that?

Personally, I would prefer to go get someone with a fresh start here.  If he came in, I think there would still be some guys on the team he coached before.  Not sure how they would feel about an old Riley coach coming back now after seeing the difference in the attitude of the coaching staffs.

Parrella's connections to both Nebraska and Riley obviously helped him a lot last time around. If he ever does come back, let it be purely on the merit of how his resume looks at that point in time.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

Are Power 5 d-line coach hires normally d-line coaches from smaller schools, or is it more likely to be someone's first position coach job?

Defensive line coach is typically not an entry sort of position. Special teams and tight ends are probably the two most common. In other cases you may do like we did for Rudd where you split a position group so there’s a veteran coach available to help.

32 minutes ago, Toe said:

Parrella's connections to both Nebraska and Riley obviously helped him a lot last time around. If he ever does come back, let it be purely on the merit of how his resume looks at that point in time.

I hope it is Jerry Montgomery current Packers D line coach.  

36 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

What about mentioning Peters or Winstrom?

Only if Osbourn makes a recommendation.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Edit - Interesting tidbit: this is his first foray into coaching in the NFL. His whole professional career has been at the college ranks though he did play three seasons in the NFL.

2014-15: Philadelphia Eagles, Assistant Coach (Assistant Defensive Line)
2013: Philadelphia Eagles, Defensive Quality Control

Huskers.com

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's the issue with Parrella.  His unit didn't play well.  Whose fault was that?

By all accounts, we were completely dysfunctional as a staff.  Devaney was telling people one thing.  Coordinators were doing another.  Most reports say Diaco wouldn't even let the position coaches do individual skill work with their guys.  Everyone just kind of stood around while Diaco did his thing.

I'm not willing to put much of any blame on any of the position coaches for everything that was or wasn't going on during that time.

• Plus1 3
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mavric said:

By all accounts, we were completely dysfunctional as a staff.  Devaney was telling people one thing.  Coordinators were doing another.  Most reports say Diaco wouldn't even let the position coaches do individual skill work with their guys.  Everyone just kind of stood around while Diaco did his thing.

I'm not willing to put much of any blame on any of the position coaches for everything that was or wasn't going on during that time.

Good points.  But, because of all that dysfunction (strain) on the staff, we really don't even know if he's a good defensive line coach....do we?  I would prefer to go out and get someone who has proven some success at this job.

Now, it's very possible that it's well known in the coaching circles that he's an absolute stud and, if that's the case, fine...bring him back.  Frost and Chinander would know.  But, with the information I have....I'd look elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good points.  But, because of all that dysfunction (strain) on the staff, we really don't even know if he's a good defensive line coach....do we?  I would prefer to go out and get someone who has proven some success at this job.

Now, it's very possible that it's well known in the coaching circles that he's an absolute stud and, if that's the case, fine...bring him back.  Frost and Chinander would know.  But, with the information I have....I'd look elsewhere.

That's fair.  I agree that I really can't say one way or the other based on his time here.  I wouldn't say the poor results are indicative of him being a bad coach but I wouldn't say that automatically means he deserves another chance either.

Whats everyone think of Peter or Wistrom? Or how bout both as Co- Defensive line? They each get half salary, share a business card. Peter on one side- flip it over and sure enough Wistrom on the back? Double the pleasure- Double the fun.

Former USC D-line coach needs a job. His name is Kenechi Udeze and he would be an interesting hire. 

Jerry Montgomery coached at UNI when Scott did and I am not sure of his role with the Packers. So he would be my way too early guess at this point.

More info will come out but I do not know who we go after now that Dawson leaves in early February. 

15 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Would really love some Poly ties with this hire.

Why? How about we hire the best person available that can get the job done. You can recruit Poly players without being of their descent. We need to get a good hire for this one because QB pressure needs to increase next year for us to be successful. 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Why? How about we hire the best person available that can get the job done. You can recruit Poly players without being of their descent. We need to get a good hire for this one because QB pressure needs to increase next year for us to be successful. 

First off, I said I would love some Poly ties. I’m not saying it’s hire a Poly coach or shut down the football program. Yes, I agree there are other variables that are important.

However, it’s absolutely incorrect to just brush it off and say we can recruit Poly players with anyone we hire. That is just not how it works in the college football landscape. Washington has done an incredible job recruiting Poly players because Peterson hired Malloe and made it a priority. And there are a ton of great options as DL coaches with Poly ties out there. Works great in a 3-4 defense especially since those players have no trouble putting on 300lbs.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Whats everyone think of Peter or Wistrom? Or how bout both as Co- Defensive line? They each get half salary, share a business card. Peter on one side- flip it over and sure enough Wistrom on the back? Double the pleasure- Double the fun.

Absolutely not on Peter. I know nothing about Wistrom's coaching abilities. Being a former Nebraska player, no matter how good, does not qualify someone to be a coach.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Washington has done an incredible job recruiting Poly players because Peterson hired Malloe and made it a priority. And there are a ton of great options as DL coaches with Poly ties out there. Works great in a 3-4 defense especially since those players have no trouble putting on 300lbs.

Do you have data on how well they recruited Poly players before?

Because many, many people move to Washington from Hawaii. There is a very big Polynesian population there. Washington has the 5th highest % of Pacific Islands Americans in the U.S. (I realize this includes more than just Polynesians but my point still stands). And Seattle has the 8th highest # of Asian Americans. For whatever reason, Hawaiians really like to move there.

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

I see Sam already floating Parrella.  Hopefully that is just Sam thinking out loud with no sources.

Scott needs to get the best available DL coach, not some “former player”.

Hear you, however we have some "former players" on the staff now that are kicking A$$

2 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Former USC D-line coach needs a job. His name is Kenechi Udeze and he would be an interesting hire. 

Jerry Montgomery coached at UNI when Scott did and I am not sure of his role with the Packers. So he would be my way too early guess at this point.

More info will come out but I do not know who we go after now that Dawson leaves in early February. 

I would actually like either of those to take over at DL.

7 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Ron Aiken? 

36 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Ron Aiken could be a name to look at as well

Hmmmm 

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

Udeze would be a nice get

Would be fantastic