DL Coach Mike Dawson Takes Job with Giants

Mavric

11 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

That’s not true at all. Frost’s staff here isn’t his staff because they were the best guys Frost could get. It’s because they’re guys Frost had a relationship with and could trust. I don’t know the extent of their relationship but beings they’re both former players and he was on the previous staff I’d at least assume they have some form of relationship. Dante was considered one of the best recruiters in the nation and a rising coaching star but got the boot because Frost had a relationship with Fisher.

We just had the best recruiting class avg ranking wise and the only notable recruiter we have IMO is Held.

The only connection Frost and Parrella have is they are both alumni, if that is the requirement we have a long list of potential candidates. I floated out Aiken for the reason you mentioned with having coached together at Oregon. He makes more sense to me than Parrella 

8 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

The only connection Frost and Parrella have is they are both alumni, if that is the requirement we have a long list of potential candidates. I floated out Aiken for the reason you mentioned with having coached together at Oregon. He makes more sense to me than Parrella 

It’s hard to say what sort of relationship they have. It’s reasonable that beings they’re both alumni that they have met. I’m sure they played against each other a couple times in the NFL and beings he was on the previous staff you’d imagine Parrella probably tried to keep his job. I’m not saying Parrella should get the job, just that I think ‘hire the best guy available’ is not going to be what Frost does unless that guy also has some connections to Frost.

Personally I like Parrella. Think if given time to build connections he could be a great recruiter. Either way I’ll support whoever Frost hires.

• Fire 1

I would've called Brian Baker last week...he's a realistic hire considering it would be a pay raise for him - he currently makes $375k I believe. Dude has been all over the NFL and MSU's D line the past few seasons has been top 3 in the nation. Not sure he would take the gig, but he'd be good. More importantly he has landed some whales down south for the D line. 

https://hailstate.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1935&path=football

• Plus1 1

Outside of just knowing who the next D-Line Coach is going to be, I'm real interested in seeing Frost's first hire at Nebraska (outside of bringing the whole staff from UCF). He has a lot more at his disposal, and the pool of candidates is going to be much larger than what he was able to hire when he first landed the UCF job. My hunch is that he goes with comfort, but the money is there for him to try and land a big fish if he chooses.

• Plus1 4

56 minutes ago, Toe said:

@B.B. Hemingway Yep. https://247sports.com/college/usc/Article/USC-football-DL-coach-Kenechi-Udeze-out-at-USC-coaching-changes--125446605/

Just checking CFBStats, USC's rushing defense has slipped from #31 in 2016 to #56 in 2017 to #67 last year. Obviously doesn't tell the whole story, but not a good trend line.

In his first season USC's front limited opponents to 139.6 yards rushing yards per game and Udeze helped graduate transfer Stevie Tu’ikolovatu earn Rose Bowl Defensive MVP honors and become a seventh round NFL Draft. Udeze's unit followed 2016 with another big season, leading the nation in sacks with 46 in 2017. Udeze also helped mold former five-star recruit Rasheem Green into a third-round pick. USC's defensive line was a lot more inconsistent in 2018, finishing No. 42 in the country in sacks (29) and No. 62 in run defense (164.42 yards per game). But some brights spots overall was the play of redshirt freshman defensive ends Jay Tufele and Jacob Lichtenstein from a development stand point under Udeze. 

5 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

In his first season USC's front limited opponents to 139.6 yards rushing yards per game and Udeze helped graduate transfer Stevie Tu’ikolovatu earn Rose Bowl Defensive MVP honors and become a seventh round NFL Draft. Udeze's unit followed 2016 with another big season, leading the nation in sacks with 46 in 2017. Udeze also helped mold former five-star recruit Rasheem Green into a third-round pick. USC's defensive line was a lot more inconsistent in 2018, finishing No. 42 in the country in sacks (29) and No. 62 in run defense (164.42 yards per game). But some brights spots overall was the play of redshirt freshman defensive ends Jay Tufele and Jacob Lichtenstein from a development stand point under Udeze. 

If the front 4 for USC gave up 164 rushing yards a game, how many yards did the defense give up as a whole?