DL Coach Mike Dawson Takes Job with Giants

Mavric

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Can we auto ban anyone who mentions Peter or Wistrom as a DL coach?

My trigger finger is itching. :cop:

In seriousness, and in reference to your comment about Parrella, I don't know if that's Sam just speculating or not. My guess is leaning towards speculation. Parrella was a pretty interesting hire the first time around (a lot of people thought it was little more than placating the masses by getting a "Nebraska guy" on the staff). He didn't have much if any division one coaching experience that I can recall. His unit also didn't perform well. Some might view that as more of Diaco's and Riley's fault (they'd probably be right) but the result still is what it is.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

My trigger finger is itching. :cop:

In seriousness, and in reference to your comment about Parrella, I don't know if that's Sam just speculating or not. My guess is leaning towards speculation. Parrella was a pretty interesting hire the first time around (a lot of people thought it was little more than placating the masses by getting a "Nebraska guy" on the staff). He didn't have much if any division one coaching experience that I can recall. His unit also didn't perform well. Some might view that as more of Diaco's and Riley's fault (they'd probably be right) but the result still is what it is.

That's the issue with Parrella.  His unit didn't play well.  Whose fault was that?

Personally, I would prefer to go get someone with a fresh start here.  If he came in, I think there would still be some guys on the team he coached before.  Not sure how they would feel about an old Riley coach coming back now after seeing the difference in the attitude of the coaching staffs.

Parrella's connections to both Nebraska and Riley obviously helped him a lot last time around. If he ever does come back, let it be purely on the merit of how his resume looks at that point in time.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

Are Power 5 d-line coach hires normally d-line coaches from smaller schools, or is it more likely to be someone's first position coach job?

Defensive line coach is typically not an entry sort of position. Special teams and tight ends are probably the two most common. In other cases you may do like we did for Rudd where you split a position group so there’s a veteran coach available to help.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Edit - Interesting tidbit: this is his first foray into coaching in the NFL. His whole professional career has been at the college ranks though he did play three seasons in the NFL.

2014-15: Philadelphia Eagles, Assistant Coach (Assistant Defensive Line)
2013: Philadelphia Eagles, Defensive Quality Control

Huskers.com

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's the issue with Parrella.  His unit didn't play well.  Whose fault was that?

By all accounts, we were completely dysfunctional as a staff.  Devaney was telling people one thing.  Coordinators were doing another.  Most reports say Diaco wouldn't even let the position coaches do individual skill work with their guys.  Everyone just kind of stood around while Diaco did his thing.

I'm not willing to put much of any blame on any of the position coaches for everything that was or wasn't going on during that time.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, Mavric said:

By all accounts, we were completely dysfunctional as a staff.  Devaney was telling people one thing.  Coordinators were doing another.  Most reports say Diaco wouldn't even let the position coaches do individual skill work with their guys.  Everyone just kind of stood around while Diaco did his thing.

I'm not willing to put much of any blame on any of the position coaches for everything that was or wasn't going on during that time.

Good points.  But, because of all that dysfunction (strain) on the staff, we really don't even know if he's a good defensive line coach....do we?  I would prefer to go out and get someone who has proven some success at this job.

Now, it's very possible that it's well known in the coaching circles that he's an absolute stud and, if that's the case, fine...bring him back.  Frost and Chinander would know.  But, with the information I have....I'd look elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good points.  But, because of all that dysfunction (strain) on the staff, we really don't even know if he's a good defensive line coach....do we?  I would prefer to go out and get someone who has proven some success at this job.

Now, it's very possible that it's well known in the coaching circles that he's an absolute stud and, if that's the case, fine...bring him back.  Frost and Chinander would know.  But, with the information I have....I'd look elsewhere.

That's fair.  I agree that I really can't say one way or the other based on his time here.  I wouldn't say the poor results are indicative of him being a bad coach but I wouldn't say that automatically means he deserves another chance either.