Mavric

DL Coach Mike Dawson Takes Job with Giants

Whats Ndamukong Suh up too since people are just naming former Husker great d-line players. 

• Plus1 2

44 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

Whats Ndamukong Suh up too since people are just naming former Husker great d-line players. 

Heck, what's Rich Glover doing these days?

22 hours ago, Red Five said:

I see Sam already floating Parrella.  Hopefully that is just Sam thinking out loud with no sources.

Scott needs to get the best available DL coach, not some “former player”.

I’m willing to bet Frost will hire someone he has some form of relationship with. I think Parrella would be a good fit for this staff. Like Mav touched on its hard to judge his coaching ability but I would say he was the 3rd best recruiter on the staff after the Williams’. Which I thought was pretty surprising given his probable lack of connections. 

1 hour ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

I’m willing to bet Frost will hire someone he has some form of relationship with. I think Parrella would be a good fit for this staff. Like Mav touched on its hard to judge his coaching ability but I would say he was the 3rd best recruiter on the staff after the Williams’. Which I thought was pretty surprising given his probable lack of connections. 

and if he never played here he wouldnt be considered...I just want to hire the best damn coach and recruiter we can buy. I hope Frost feels the same way 

23 hours ago, Red Five said:

I see Sam already floating Parrella.  Hopefully that is just Sam thinking out loud with no sources.

Scott needs to get the best available DL coach, not some “former player”.

Speaking of What's Wistrom up to now?  and this guy  :

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/carriker/carriker-chronicles-what-are-nebraska-s-recruiting-needs-before-signing/article_16cf968b-1bf7-502d-a2cd-b531bd42cebe.html

But I agree - we want the best available - former player or not. I would be nice to have some one with the old Nebraska fire in his belly. 

• Plus1 1

On 2/11/2019 at 12:52 PM, Red Five said:

Can we auto ban anyone who mentions Peter or Wistrom as a DL coach?

Opps. glad I didn't see this before I posted mine above

:flush

38 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

and if he never played here he wouldnt be considered...I just want to hire the best damn coach and recruiter we can buy. I hope Frost feels the same way 

That’s not true at all. Frost’s staff here isn’t his staff because they were the best guys Frost could get. It’s because they’re guys Frost had a relationship with and could trust. I don’t know the extent of their relationship but beings they’re both former players and he was on the previous staff I’d at least assume they have some form of relationship. Dante was considered one of the best recruiters in the nation and a rising coaching star but got the boot because Frost had a relationship with Fisher.

We just had the best recruiting class avg ranking wise and the only notable recruiter we have IMO is Held.

11 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

That’s not true at all. Frost’s staff here isn’t his staff because they were the best guys Frost could get. It’s because they’re guys Frost had a relationship with and could trust. I don’t know the extent of their relationship but beings they’re both former players and he was on the previous staff I’d at least assume they have some form of relationship. Dante was considered one of the best recruiters in the nation and a rising coaching star but got the boot because Frost had a relationship with Fisher.

We just had the best recruiting class avg ranking wise and the only notable recruiter we have IMO is Held.

The only connection Frost and Parrella have is they are both alumni, if that is the requirement we have a long list of potential candidates. I floated out Aiken for the reason you mentioned with having coached together at Oregon. He makes more sense to me than Parrella 

8 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

The only connection Frost and Parrella have is they are both alumni, if that is the requirement we have a long list of potential candidates. I floated out Aiken for the reason you mentioned with having coached together at Oregon. He makes more sense to me than Parrella 

It’s hard to say what sort of relationship they have. It’s reasonable that beings they’re both alumni that they have met. I’m sure they played against each other a couple times in the NFL and beings he was on the previous staff you’d imagine Parrella probably tried to keep his job. I’m not saying Parrella should get the job, just that I think ‘hire the best guy available’ is not going to be what Frost does unless that guy also has some connections to Frost.

Personally I like Parrella. Think if given time to build connections he could be a great recruiter. Either way I’ll support whoever Frost hires.

• Upvote 1

I would've called Brian Baker last week...he's a realistic hire considering it would be a pay raise for him - he currently makes $375k I believe. Dude has been all over the NFL and MSU's D line the past few seasons has been top 3 in the nation. Not sure he would take the gig, but he'd be good. More importantly he has landed some whales down south for the D line. 

https://hailstate.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1935&path=football

• Plus1 1

Outside of just knowing who the next D-Line Coach is going to be, I'm real interested in seeing Frost's first hire at Nebraska (outside of bringing the whole staff from UCF). He has a lot more at his disposal, and the pool of candidates is going to be much larger than what he was able to hire when he first landed the UCF job. My hunch is that he goes with comfort, but the money is there for him to try and land a big fish if he chooses.

• Plus1 4

5 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Man I'm getting old..I remember Udeze from when he played at USC.  Now he's coaching.

High character guy who has one heckuva inspirational story oh and he can RECRUIT 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Kineche Udeze if you like to look at who is starting to follow who on twitter....

Like five of the top six are Huskers-related, but just below that there's follows from a ton of different schools: https://twitter.com/CoachBKU/following

35 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Man I'm getting old..I remember Udeze from when he played at USC.  Now he's coaching.

Yeah, I remember some Frost guy from his playing days as well.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Toe said:

@B.B. Hemingway Yep. https://247sports.com/college/usc/Article/USC-football-DL-coach-Kenechi-Udeze-out-at-USC-coaching-changes--125446605/

Just checking CFBStats, USC's rushing defense has slipped from #31 in 2016 to #56 in 2017 to #67 last year. Obviously doesn't tell the whole story, but not a good trend line.

In his first season USC's front limited opponents to 139.6 yards rushing yards per game and Udeze helped graduate transfer Stevie Tu’ikolovatu earn Rose Bowl Defensive MVP honors and become a seventh round NFL Draft. Udeze's unit followed 2016 with another big season, leading the nation in sacks with 46 in 2017. Udeze also helped mold former five-star recruit Rasheem Green into a third-round pick. USC's defensive line was a lot more inconsistent in 2018, finishing No. 42 in the country in sacks (29) and No. 62 in run defense (164.42 yards per game). But some brights spots overall was the play of redshirt freshman defensive ends Jay Tufele and Jacob Lichtenstein from a development stand point under Udeze. 

5 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

In his first season USC's front limited opponents to 139.6 yards rushing yards per game and Udeze helped graduate transfer Stevie Tu’ikolovatu earn Rose Bowl Defensive MVP honors and become a seventh round NFL Draft. Udeze's unit followed 2016 with another big season, leading the nation in sacks with 46 in 2017. Udeze also helped mold former five-star recruit Rasheem Green into a third-round pick. USC's defensive line was a lot more inconsistent in 2018, finishing No. 42 in the country in sacks (29) and No. 62 in run defense (164.42 yards per game). But some brights spots overall was the play of redshirt freshman defensive ends Jay Tufele and Jacob Lichtenstein from a development stand point under Udeze. 

If the front 4 for USC gave up 164 rushing yards a game, how many yards did the defense give up as a whole?

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

If the front 4 for USC gave up 164 rushing yards a game, how many yards did the defense give up as a whole?

55 fewer yards per game than our defense 

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

55 fewer yards per game than our defense 

I should have worded that differently.  I found the statement in the quote you posted weird that they made the DL solely responsible for ALL of the rushing yards USC surrendered per game last year

• Plus1 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

I should have worded that differently.  I found the statement in the quote you posted weird that they made the DL solely responsible for ALL of the rushing yards USC surrendered per game last year

well I answered it literally for you lol 

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

well I answered it literally for you lol 

Yeah I know.  It's my fault for not writing it right.  He wasn't the DC and yet the quote makes it sound like he was responsible for the slip in overall defensive production.

• Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Yeah I know.  It's my fault for not writing it right.  He wasn't the DC and yet the quote makes it sound like he was responsible for the slip in overall defensive production.

wait....so you arent condemning him for this? :sarcasm

8 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

wait....so you arent condemning him for this? :sarcasm

Not yet anyway.  It would be difficult to do considering I don't recall watching a down of USC football during his time there

But the eyeTrollers are sure not happy with my questioning.

• Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Not yet anyway.  It would be difficult to do considering I don't recall watching a down of USC football during his time there

But the eyeTrollers are sure not happy with my questioning.

haha I didnt even notice that you got the eye roll. that is impressive 

3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Kineche Udeze if you like to look at who is starting to follow who on twitter....

His 10 year old daughter is going to LOVE Nebraska over Cali.

Bottom line: It's better that she's not 15 or 16!

Interesting discussion thread: https://247sports.com/college/usc/Board/29/Contents/Kenechi-Udeze-exit-interview-125485460/

• Plus1 1
  • Confused 1

A name I saw get thrown out on another message board was Jerry Montgomery, the Packers current D-line coach. Before joining the Packers he coached d-line at Wyoming, Michigan and Oklahoma. Played with Chin at Iowa and coached d-line at Northern Iowa while Chin and Frost were there. 

Edit- I’m dumb and didn’t realize Montgomery was already mentioned in this thread my apologies.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I would've called Brian Baker last week...he's a realistic hire considering it would be a pay raise for him - he currently makes $375k I believe. Dude has been all over the NFL and MSU's D line the past few seasons has been top 3 in the nation. Not sure he would take the gig, but he'd be good. More importantly he has landed some whales down south for the D line. 

https://hailstate.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1935&path=football

Didn't he get poached by Nick Saban already?  I thought he was at Alabama now.

Two other coaches to consider:

Brian Mohnsen - Defensive Coordinator - South Dakota

Jimmy Williams - Defensive Line - Western Michigan

On 2/13/2019 at 11:29 PM, Bad2theBONES said:

What about Jim Leavitt from Oregon. He left Oregon today, any chance we could get him here? 

This would be a great hire if it were a real possibility.  

I didn't realize that Brian Baker recently left to Bama (of course). Kuligowski is the other guy I mentioned (also at Bama..of course). 

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Guy who hates when Nebraska players or coaches gives the program a black eye, wants to hire a coach who literally gave a player a black eye.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Guy who hates when Nebraska players or coaches gives the program a black eye, wants to hire a coach who literally gave a player a black eye.

I mean, it's been 9 years.  He's been controversy free since.  

In addition, my issue is with players/coaches doing things against women.  I just have a difficult time accepting that more than anything else.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I mean, it's been 9 years.  He's been controversy free since.  

I mean punching a kid that committed to play for him and then going as far as forcing other players and coaches to change their story to help cover it up is ok for you cause it's been 9 years? Got it. 

5 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

I mean punching a kid that committed to play for him and then going as far as forcing other players and coaches to change their story to help cover it up is ok for you cause it's been 9 years? Got it. 

Is there a time frame acceptable to you that allows for second chances?  I think almost a decade seems reasonable.

My sources told me they've seen Jim Tressel walking around campus.  Ron Kellogg confirmed so its a done deal.  The vest as our DL coach.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

You think Chinander would feel the heat with that hire?:lol:

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Is there a time frame acceptable to you that allows for second chances?  I think almost a decade seems reasonable.

Not defending either Washington nor Leavitt, but there is also a difference between the professional expectations of a 50+ year old man vs the emotions and sensibilities of a high school kid.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Ulty said:

Not defending either Washington nor Leavitt, but there is also a difference between the professional expectations of a 50+ year old man vs the emotions and sensibilities of a high school kid.

There is.  And I think Leavitt paid his price.  He was fired.  He didn't coach anywhere for 2 years afterward.  And didn't coach in college for 6 years after the incident.