Maurice Washington Faces Charges

35 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I would argue with these tweets to say that I would be absolutely shocked if UNL has not already looked into this. A statement such as "we have not had a chance to review the charges" would be accurate since there are no charges yet. A school the size of UNL and a program such as this would not sit on their hands if they had been contacted by the AG's office and the police. Especially for a star athlete. 

I work at a school with a relatively small Title IX office where the athletics are bupkis compared to Nebraska, but even so, there is an agreement between the student conduct office and the athletic department to make each other aware of any issues that even remotely have the potential to cause problems. In addition, there are regular meetings between everyone on campus who touches Title IX related issues to be aware of any new situations so they can be addressed. Any rumblings of anything like this, and a lot of mechanisms start running.

So let's say in this case they heard something from the AG, or the police, or from a lawyer, but did not have any details and did not even know it had anything to do with sex, a hell of a lot of questions would have been asked in order to get to the bottom of it. At the very least, the university would want to put themselves in a legally defensible position and try to stem off any bad PR, even before trying to protect the athlete or the coach. UNL has a big Title IX office, and a big General Counsel office, and a lot of people whose jobs deal in PR, not to mention the size and influence of the athletic department and football team. I guarantee they have pulled all the stops in addressing this situation long before it came to light this morning. 

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That's the way it sounds to me too. Although I'm coming to a conclusion just like the rest of us, without knowing. But if he knew she was raped, it's a really weird reply. The fact she was an ex girlfriend makes it sound way more like a "you cheated on me" or "you're a slut" type of a reply.

I think that is exactly what happened because at the time they were both in high school still correct? 

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Once the video was sent to students

So basically:

The video was taken in 2016

It gets sent to people in the school including Washington

School notifies police

and on and on and on

Whenever the video was sent to Washington, he was not at the school. He was already gone by the time the incident happened. When the police got involved, he was nowhere close to it.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Moiraine said:

She was 15 in the video. I assume she's 17 or 18 now, but that part doesn't matter.

Oh i know it doesnt matter in the context of the actual law but two high school kids is different to me than two adults. I am just glad no high school kids have pics or videos of naked high school kids. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Oh i know it doesnt matter in the context of the actual law but two high school kids is different to me than two adults. I am just glad no high school kids have pics or videos of naked high school kids. 

It's the law that matters.

Although after that is dealt with and if there aren't any charges, what you're saying might matter to Frost/the AD.

I do wondering if Washington will be treated more harshly because he was 18 at the time. The other guys were under 18.

25 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I wouldn't be so sure the athletic department, and/or Frost come away unscathed here. It's going to be really interesting.

For everything that has happened up to this point....assuming the worst case in StPaul's mind, I'm not sure how someone is "scathed" by this other than looking bad and damaging a reputation.

Although she did not report the incident as a rape at the time because she says she felt ashamed, Taylor told NBC Bay Area the video depicts a sexual assault, not a consensual sex act.

“I was just like, ‘Oh my God, everyone thinks I made a sex tape, everyone thinks that I’m some freak who wanted to have sex on video camera and send it to my school,’” Taylor said. “I’m 15 years old, how could you believe that?”

Taylor’s father Brian said the family was trying to move on from the incident, but he supports her speaking out, and said the family is considering whether they will pursue sexual assault charges.

The above is also from the article linked, and imo makes it pretty unlikely Washington knew of the rape allegation. She didn't make it at the time. It seems even clearer now that to him this was his girlfriend or ex girlfriend at the time having a threesome. i.e. cheating on him or breaking up with him then acting like a "hoe."

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The above is also from the article linked, and imo makes it pretty unlikely Washington knew of the rape allegation. She didn't make it at the time. It seems even clearer now that to him this was his girlfriend or ex girlfriend at the time having a threesome. i.e. cheating on him or breaking up with him then acting like a "hoe."

Forget the rape or sexual assault or legal aspects for a moment. If Mo sent the text, then he sent a sex video in order to humiliate this girl. Is that not enough for him to be kicked off the team?

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1