Maurice Washington Faces Charges

3 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I was replying the same way you'd posed your comments before - misunderstood I guess.  Obviously you and I are out of synch this evening with tone here.

We were talking about the laws about being a 15 year old and having sex. Not about the specific incident.

We just disagree... that's okay. IMO, if Washington knew it was sexual assault or had heard she said it was sexual assault, he should be kicked off the team for sure. And maybe he should be kicked off the team anyway, but I don't think the whole thing is cut and dried.

2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

What's the penalty for teen sex in Cali? 

Dunno, but they almost never do anything about it. Looks like in Nebraska it's fine. And Nebraska differentiates between people < 25 having sex with minors and people >= 25 having sex with minors. I think that's kind of a good idea but it should be more like 20. I just have a hard time thinking it's wrong for an 18 year old and 15 year old dating each other and doing things of a sexual nature. That could be a Freshman and Senior in high school.

So can someone clarify - he forwarded said message sometime a year or so ago when she reached out to congratulate him for his NE commitment  - why is this just now hitting our news?  Was a warrant issued?  Did she decide to press charges recently (I thought I read she did not) or did the state just pull the trigger?  Did it have anything to do with him turning 18 or something?

2 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

So can someone clarify - he forwarded said message sometime a year or so ago when she reached out to congratulate him for his NE commitment  - why is this just now hitting our news?  Was a warrant issued?  Did she decide to press charges recently (I thought I read she did not) or did the state just pull the trigger?  Did it have anything to do with him turning 18 or something?

He was 18 when he sent it to her.

14 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

We were talking about the laws about being a 15 year old and having sex. Not about the specific incident.

We just disagree... that's okay. IMO, if Washington knew it was sexual assault or had heard she said it was sexual assault, he should be kicked off the team for sure. And maybe he should be kicked off the team anyway, but I don't think the whole thing is cut and dried.

I'm not sure we even disagree - I'm just misunderstanding your posts.  Must be bed time.

30 minutes ago, I am I said:

stupid move from a jilted high schooler,  no doubt. 

after the facts are laid out, I’ll make my own inconsequential opinion. 

Until then, I’ll reserve judgement 

Level headed brevity? In this thread? That's some hip hop hogwash, sir. 

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

I was going to bring this very thing up but didn't feel like being attacked by the super people.  But it true.  So very very true.  

The amount of boob/dick pics that go around between "minors" would probably make most people shocked.

My oldest son graduated last year and I know for a fact that it happens ALL THE TIME.   He was very open about what got sent to him or what was getting sent around school.   My wife is the assistant volleyball coach and it was hard on her hearing what some of her players were doing and sending.   She has even said that the girls would talk about it at practice and no one seemed bothered by it.   

Maybe the university is in a tough spot.  Maybe they couldn’t do anything.  Maybe they could have

Its just with all of the instances of sexual misconduct of varying degrees happening at colleges and constant cover ups and preferential treatment of athletes, I guess I was hoping UNL would have been able to be transparent from the start of this months ago.  It’s not a good look.  

I don’t wish or hope MW is gone.  I don’t hope or wish Frost gets in trouble.  I just want my team/athletic department to be better than the rest of them with stuff like this.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Maybe the university is in a tough spot.  Maybe they couldn’t do anything.  Maybe they could have

Its just with all of the instances of sexual misconduct of varying degrees happening at colleges and constant cover ups and preferential treatment of athletes, I guess I was hoping UNL would have been able to be transparent from the start of this months ago.  It’s not a good look.  

I don’t wish or hope MW is gone.  I don’t hope or wish Frost gets in trouble.  I just want my team/athletic department to be better than the rest of them with stuff like this.

+1

17 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

My oldest son graduated last year and I know for a fact that it happens ALL THE TIME.   He was very open about what got sent to him or what was getting sent around school.   My wife is the assistant volleyball coach and it was hard on her hearing what some of her players were doing and sending.   She has even said that the girls would talk about it at practice and no one seemed bothered by it.   

So very true

31 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I agree with you, but you don't know what they knew, and for all we know the athletic department/Frost have been transparent with leadership within the university, and authorities in California.

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

I'm sure it's true now, and I know it was when I was in HS/college 11-15 years ago.