Maurice Washington Faces Charges

12 hours ago, Landlord said:

y'all know that teenagers these days send and receive sexually explicit photos/videos/language all the time, right? Especially women receiving dick pics. It's probably morally and ethically wrong and in poor taste, but it's also extremely normal.

I think this is the problem Landlord. You're saying it's normal so nothing should be done about it. Rather than saying it's normal and that's messed up. This stuff does harm to people and there's evidence that the culture we're living in increases the likelihood of more severe downstream behaviors. So while it is normal, I'd also say we need to take it seriously and provide consequences to make it understood it's not acceptable. It's not that sexuality in and of its self is bad. However, when you talk to those girls getting dick pics, how many of them do you think the women want to see? How many do you think were solicited? We're using sex both as a weapon (such as what is being suggested MW did) and we're using it in inappropriate and non-consensual ways and that isn't "morally and ethically wrong and in poor taste" it's causing psychological harm to the victims and sometimes harm in the career/life domains and should be taken seriously, not dismissed as this is just the world we live in. 

We all need to take a hard look at ourselves if we're going to defend the alleged actions.

I'm not going to rush to judgment until all the info comes out, but if he sent that video he should be held accountable and there should be consequences. Do I think it should ruin his career? Probably not, but maybe he should get some help with emotion regulation and get suspended long enough to make time for him to change some of what's going to get in the way of his life down the road. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Was it a sexual assault?

Don't know. The context here was "this stuff happens more often than you think" lumping the accusation itself with the other stuff, like dick picks.

If it was not sexual assault, the suggestion is that it was a willing three way with a girl who now wants to bring Maurice Washington down, and that's a fresh new hell of speculation we could get into. 

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Don't know. The context here was "this stuff happens more often than you think" lumping the accusation itself with the other stuff, like dick picks.

If it was not sexual assault, the suggestion is that it was a willing three way with a girl who now wants to bring Maurice Washington down, and that's a fresh new hell of speculation we could get into. 

Wrong.

It doesn’t need to be one or the other.

I am sure that it went exactly like the girl and her mother are saying. She sent him a text that said "congratulations on your accomplishments Maurice I am so very proud of you!" and then he called her a hoe and sent a sex tape....I know when I was a senior in high school my text conversations were only two total text messages when an ex reached out to me. 

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

@StPaulHusker If you had to guess, how many guys on Nebraska's roster would fit the description of "low character" for doing things with the same or similar intent as Washington is alleged to have done in this instance? 

Could be all of them.  Could be none of them.  But if that is the hill you want to die on, then maybe we can dispense with notion Frost is only recruiting players of high character.

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I am sure that it went exactly like the girl and her mother are saying. She sent him a text that said "congratulations on your accomplishments Maurice I am so very proud of you!" and then he called her a hoe and sent a sex tape....I know when I was a senior in high school my text conversations were only two total text messages when an ex reached out to me. 

I don’t think it would be that weird, actually. Especially between exes. But one of the 2 articles I read said Maurice wanted to get together with her and she said no, then came the video text.

10 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

But if that is the hill you want to die on, then maybe we can dispense with notion Frost is only recruiting players of high character.

How's this for you? If you put a gun to my head, I really don't give a s***. I want to win football games. I want there to be rules for the team that attempt to build character in these guys, a la "The Osborne Method."

But go ahead and count me in the camp that is NOT creating some false dichotomy where Frost either recruits 85 Mother Theresas or he recruits 85 Charlie Starkweathers. Holy s***...

*Edit: For extra clarity though just so this doesn't get misconstrued: He just plain shouldn't have sent the video back to her, though. That part is obvious. And imagine how painfully obvious it is to him now one year later, also.

• Plus1 3
38 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Has this been covered?  Came out about 20 minutes ago

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/nebraska-maurice-washington-charged-assault-video/

"Hamilton said she decided to file charges Dec. 17 and is now waiting for a judge to sign a warrant for Washington’s arrest. She said it typically takes two or three months for a warrant to be signed after charges of this type are filed. Once a warrant is signed, Washington would face extradition from Nebraska or he could return to California on his own and surrender to authorities."

So now last names are being used?

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t think it would be that weird, actually. Especially between exes. But one of the 2 articles I read said Maurice wanted to get together with her and she said no, then came the video text.

or maybe she saw an ex that was going D-1 and he thought she was wanting to get with him and he thought this was a mean way to tell his ex to pound sand? All we know is what the girl and her mom are saying and I am sure the mother doesnt want to believe her daughter was having threesomes at 15. 

• Plus1 3

17 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

or maybe she saw an ex that was going D-1 and he thought she was wanting to get with him and he thought this was a mean way to tell his ex to pound sand? All we know is what the girl and her mom are saying and I am sure the mother doesnt want to believe her daughter was having threesomes at 15. 

I wasn’t disagreeing with that possibility. I’m disagreeing that this conversation couldn’t have been only 2 texts. Seems like a normal scenario to me.