Maurice Washington Faces Charges

3 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I just think we have to be aware of how we coddle some of these men because of their talent.  If this was a walk on it wouldn't make headlines, and likely also wouldn't generate this sort of heated debate.  It's easy to walk away from a risky player when they aren't destined to be a rock star contributor.  

And I agree - until we know all the facts, we can't determine appropriate punishment.  The debate here has sure been eye opening/disheartening though!

Look up the Lauren Cook situation.

It's not just men that get preferential treatment. It's star athletes.

It would appear he has been advised to go back to California, turn himself in and be cooperative with authorities.

He gets to tell his side of the story and take whatever consequences get decided upon if any.

I see it as his mentors, certainly including Frost are taking the commitment he made to Washington seriously.

Frost fully understands his role with these young men is beyond football.

For those wanting to judge who Frost would recruit, I'd simply remind you how many times we've seen Frost and a player hugging or in tears because of the difference Frost has made to them.

No way do I think Frost gives up on Washington. 

I think Frost wants to develop him into a confident, mature, responsible man.

• Plus1 4

If formally charged - - yes - - the accused is not guilty pending the results of a trial or plea.   However, until resolved, the image (of MW being on the active roster) is a total dumpster fire.     I suspect UNL will have no other alternative but put him on a type of suspension from the program pending the courts findings or an acceptable plea that "may" keep a window open in the future.

Edited by Railroader
typo
4 minutes ago, Billsantosa said:

If this new info pulled up by the OWH is true, then I just don’t know what is going to happen. I would lean towards the negative side. 

It is suspect, as no other news report has had this much detail.  Not even the articles from the CA papers.  Take anything printed by this paper as a grain of salt when the huskers are involved. 

8 minutes ago, Railroader said:

If formally charged - - yes - - the accused is not guilty pending the results of a trial or plea.   However, the image (of MW being on the active roster) is a total dumpster fire.     I suspect UNL will have no other alternative but put him on a type of suspension from the program pending the courts findings or an acceptable plea that "may" keep a window open in the future.

The police made one contact about an interview.  No other details were shared at that time.   Put out your dumpster fire!

Seems like it’s proceeding exactly as it should. It’s hot news now, but it’ll eventually cool and what will be will be. 

Most info coming out suggests that he faces consequences up to and including jail; but there are several other alternates to that sentence including diversion, fines, and reduced plea agreements. 

I’m feeling like he did something stupid and will pay for it. He will serve his punishment and eventually move on. Methinks with the Cornhuskers. That’s my initial inconsequential opinion. 

• Plus1 2