Maurice Washington Faces Charges

32 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Life trumps football.

Except that is the exact opposite of what happens in nearly all such cases. Instead of letting it first play out through the legal system (which is why we have a legal system), teams exact their own remedies by cutting, suspending, or otherwise separating from the person. In almost all cases, this is done by the presumption of guilt rather than as an effect of a trial, deal, or other such legal recourse.

By teams doing so, almost solely to avoid a public relations hit, they are putting football before life. Whenever people say an organizational body should hold people accountable for such matters, what they are really saying is such bodies should have the power to usurp the legal authorities, but without all of that protecting the innocent or due process nonsense.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

So, Mo sent the text or his adoptive father? Sounds like some teenage bulls#!t that has happened forever, but just happens phones take videos these days. 

11 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I don't believe that statement in regards to your posts on this board defending Mike Riley and seeming to bring down Frost. 

You do realize that Mike Riley had 4 players from OSU physically rape a woman, and he gave them a 1 game suspension right? For "making a bad choice" 

Sooooo many factual errors with the second sentence that I'm not sure where to begin...

11 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I don't believe that statement in regards to your posts on this board defending Mike Riley and seeming to bring down Frost. 

You do realize that Mike Riley had 4 players from OSU physically rape a woman, and he gave them a 1 game suspension right? For "making a bad choice" 

Sooooo many factual errors with the second sentence that I'm not sure where to begin...

As for Washington, let's calm down until we have all of the facts.  

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, I am I said:

Seems like it’s proceeding exactly as it should. It’s hot news now, but it’ll eventually cool and what will be will be. 

Most info coming out suggests that he faces consequences up to and including jail; but there are several other alternates to that sentence including diversion, fines, and reduced plea agreements. 

I’m feeling like he did something stupid and will pay for it. He will serve his punishment and eventually move on. Methinks with the Cornhuskers. That’s my initial inconsequential opinion. 

l don't want him playing for NU.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

It is suspect, as no other news report has had this much detail.  Not even the articles from the CA papers.  Take anything printed by this paper as a grain of salt when the huskers are involved. 

Your first reaction to one news outlet seemingly having more information than others is to essentially accuse them of lying? Come on. That's little more than conspiracy theory. Alia Conley is a kickass reporter.

As for Mo, I'm not sure I get the 'he's gone' talk just yet. His alleged decisions in this case were not good, but, he faces charges for a non-violent misdemeanor and a non-violent felony. Lawyers tend to seek plea deals in these sort of cases and I think whatever limitations set forth by a hypothetical plea will impact his future more than anything else. I have a feeling, and maybe it's a bad feeling, that he's not kicked off the team unless potential penalties make it impossible to remain a student athlete at Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Does this info change anything? We already knew that Washington made a poor decision, and many in this thread already suspected that there was probably more than one text during that exchange. Him being angry doesn't change much, nor should it be surprising. The part that I wonder about is what he actually said when he became "aggressive" and "angry and mean." I imagine that if he had threatened her in some way, that fact would have been included in the reports or the pending charges. 

This has never looked good for him, but I also think that there are as many unanswered questions now as there were before this article.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Does this info change anything? We already knew that Washington made a poor decision, and many in this thread already suspected that there was probably more than one text during that exchange. Him being angry doesn't change much, nor should it be surprising. The part that I wonder about is what he actually said when he became "aggressive" and "angry and mean." I imagine that if he had threatened her in some way, that fact would have been included in the reports or the pending charges. 

This has never looked good for him, but I also think that there are as many unanswered questions now as there were before this article.

The previous texts may shed light on what his intentions were with the video, to the people deciding his fate.