Maurice Washington Faces Charges

Some copies of the texts the two exchanged are in this OWH article. 

With arrest warrant pending, California sheriff says Maurice Washington 'should be held accountable' if guilty

On March 2, about 8:43 a.m., the girl received a text message from Washington from a number that was later found to be registered to Washington’s adoptive father, the document says.

The text contained a 10-second video of a girl performing oral sex on one teen in the back seat of a vehicle, with another teen masturbating while watching her naked behind.

“Remember this hoe,” the text from Washington said, according to the affidavit.

The girl’s mother was able to see all of her daughter’s texts through an iPad, and she immediately told the girl not to look at the video because she believed it was a video of the alleged 2016 sexual assault.

About six hours later, the girl wrote back to Washington: “Send me that again I didn’t see it. Maurice?”

Washington replied, “Send you what”

The girl said, “That video”

He said, “You seen it”

She responded: “I Didn’t tho”

He said: “Oh I didn’t send nun”

A deputy with the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office requested cellphone records from Apple Inc. on March 19 after speaking with the girl’s mother and viewing the video and texts.

And some more details about the University's response to the California authorities.

Suzanne Gage, spokeswoman for the Nebraska Attorney General’s Office, said Tuesday that the office was contacted in August by the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office seeking information about Washington.

An Attorney General’s Office investigator contacted the University of Nebraska — Gage didn’t specify who at NU was called — then received contact information for Washington and made multiple phone calls to him, Gage said.

A university spokeswoman said the Attorney General’s Office called UNL police “requesting a point of contact for Athletics to contact a football player.”

“The contact information for Athletics and the Attorney General’s Office were provided to each,” the spokeswoman said. “The nature of the inquiry was not known at that time.”

Sometime in mid-September, the attorney’s general’s investigator received a call from Jon Bruning, a former Nebraska attorney general. Bruning at the time told the investigator that he represented Washington and that Washington declined to comment.

The Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office said in a statement Wednesday that after their attempts to contact Washington through the AG's Office and UNL police, Bruning contacted their detectives.

"Our detectives were contacted by Mr. Jon Bruning, the attorney for the University of Nebraska's Athletic Department," the Sheriff's Office said. "Mr. Bruning informed our detectives that he was also representing Mr. Washington. We notified Mr. Bruning of the pending investigation and sent a copy of the search warrant, again requesting to interview Mr. Washington. To date, Mr. Washington has not provided us with a statement."

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Damn. If I was a kid in love with a girl who broke my heart, then got sent a video of her giving somebody else in school a blowjob, then she tried to reach out and be nice to me, then I exchanged several messages trying to hook up with her, then she shot me down, then I said some stuff to her so she blocked me, I can't imagine I wouldn't have tried to make her feel the way I did. 

FIFY

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Damn. If I was a kid in love with a girl who broke my heart, then got sent a video of her giving somebody else in school a blowjob, then she tried to reach out and be nice to me, I can't imagine I wouldn't have tried to make her feel the way I did. 

This has been my thought, also.  Especially when you take into consideration the fact that Mo may not have had a solid role model or person in his life to teach him the best ways to go about handling his emotions in a constructive manner.  Having the mental tools, or a lack thereof, in the toolbox to keep those teenage emotions in check is a huge part of this, IMO.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, rocketlb said:

This has been my thought, also.  Especially when you take into consideration the fact that Mo may not have had a solid role model or person in his life to teach him the best ways to go about handling his emotions in a constructive manner.  Having the mental tools, or a lack thereof, in the toolbox to keep those teenage emotions in check is a huge part of this, IMO.

I get what you're saying here but I wrestle with it as it pertains to players on my team. It sucks that these football-talented kids have such s#!tty upbringings and no role models, but does that earn them an exception if they screw up?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I get what you're saying here but I wrestle with it as it pertains to players on my team. It sucks that these football-talented kids have such s#!tty upbringings and no role models, but does that earn them an exception if they screw up?

I don't have an opinion on what should happen to him legally or in regards to team punishment, I just personally don't see any gross moral failing on his part given what I know. 

I do think, in general though, that punitive measures are not nearly as effective towards mistakes as rehabilitative ones are.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
24 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I don't think the fact that they are football-talented kids should earn them an exception if they screw up.  In our society, I think being talented at almost anything earns people more chances than they probably deserve.  I guess I'm just saying that empathy is a good thing to keep in mind for a lot of folks.  I also tend to think, if this becomes a teachable moment for him and he learns a valuable lesson in how to behave as an adult, it isn't something to condemn him for.  I say that under the assumption that he will have consequences for his misdeeds, both in- and outside of the football program.

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, rocketlb said:

I don't think the fact that they are football-talented kids should earn them an exception if they screw up.  In our society, I think being talented at almost anything earns people more chances than they probably deserve.  I guess I'm just saying that empathy is a good thing to keep in mind for a lot of folks.  I also tend to think, if this becomes a teachable moment for him and he learns a valuable lesson in how to behave as an adult, it isn't something to condemn him for.  I say that under the assumption that he will have consequences for his misdeeds, both in- and outside of the football program.

Agreed. And unless California Law Enforcement is interested in making an example of him, I fully expect this to end in diversion at worst. I doubt he gets kicked off the team, but he'll for sure get suspended. Depends on whether anything else comes out if that changes, of course.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, rocketlb said:

If he becomes a felon or has to register as a sex offender, that’s a pretty big consequence. 

16 hours ago, brophog said:

Except that is the exact opposite of what happens in nearly all such cases. Instead of letting it first play out through the legal system (which is why we have a legal system), teams exact their own remedies by cutting, suspending, or otherwise separating from the person. In almost all cases, this is done by the presumption of guilt rather than as an effect of a trial, deal, or other such legal recourse.

By teams doing so, almost solely to avoid a public relations hit, they are putting football before life. Whenever people say an organizational body should hold people accountable for such matters, what they are really saying is such bodies should have the power to usurp the legal authorities, but without all of that protecting the innocent or due process nonsense.

Playing football is a privilege.  People don't have any more or less right to dismiss any player for anything.  It's a right to play, just like right to work. 

• Thanks 1