Maurice Washington Faces Charges

https://www.1011now.com/content/news/University-officials-knew-of-allegations-against-Husker-running-back-last-fall--505801811.html

An attorney for The University of Nebraska Athletic Department was informed of the nature of the case against Maurice Washington in mid-September of 2018, according to law enforcement documents obtained by 1011 NOW.

Those documents also show that Washington did not respond to repeated requests for an interview by law enforcement, made to Washington directly and to an attorney hired by the University.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Washington did get banged up in the Michigan game a little if I remember, but he didn’t play against Purdue... which was last game in September. Which sets up possibly that Nebraska did hold him out that week to investigate what was going on. Perhaps they did, and at that point felt comfortable with him continuing on the team?

25 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

https://www.1011now.com/content/news/University-officials-knew-of-allegations-against-Husker-running-back-last-fall--505801811.html

An attorney for The University of Nebraska Athletic Department was informed of the nature of the case against Maurice Washington in mid-September of 2018, according to law enforcement documents obtained by 1011 NOW.

Those documents also show that Washington did not respond to repeated requests for an interview by law enforcement, made to Washington directly and to an attorney hired by the University.

My theory now is UNL is hoping to differentiate between lawyers who are under their permanent employ and a lawyer they hired to represent Washington.

Not really sure why they'd lie about it though. Lying is always worse, and waiting for charges is a reasonable explanation for why he still played, imo.

• Plus1 1

I guess I dont get why people are upset Washington didn't want to talk to the cops.  He's not under any obligation to do it and was probably told not to.   The rest of this seems bad and bad on the school but whether it's this case or any other crime I'm not talking to the cops unless they arrest me and I have a lawyer sitting there with me.

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

My theory now is UNL is hoping to differentiate between lawyers who are under their permanent employ and a lawyer they hired to represent Washington.

That would seem to be the case.

I honestly don't see anything in the article that contradicts what the Athletic Department said.  From a lawyer-ly point-of-view.

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, FearAmeer said:

People are blowing this story up into something more then it really is. I do not understand why people are up in flames all of a sudden thinking we are the next michigan state/baylor etc.

It's nowhere near that stage, but there is an awful lot of smoke surrounding the football program at the moment. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1