Maurice Washington Faces Charges

I see a bad-moon arising . . . . because of months & months long delaying tactics & disinformation (incompetence OR  . . . . coverup)???

If UNL doesn't handle right, this may exceed the nature of the original allegations.    Hope UNL & football ops gets their act together . . . . quickly.   Before the Big 10 Office or NCAA get curious.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Railroader said:

I see a bad-moon arising . . . . because of months & months long delaying tactics & disinformation (incompetence OR  . . . . coverup)???

If UNL doesn't handle right, this may exceed the nature of the original allegations.    Hope UNL & football ops gets their act together . . . . quickly.   Before the Big 10 Office or NCAA get curious.

K

5 minutes ago, RedNebraskan said:

Question:  Does any of this warrant NCAA or B1G sanctions? 

I’m not an expert or anything but I don’t see why it would. Washington wasn’t a student at the time. The girl isn’t a UNL student. Washington didn’t assault anyone nor was he involved in the taping.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Railroader said:

Investigators had Washington’s phone # and called him. The incident occured before he was a UNL student. What are you even talking about? Should they have put him in a box and shipped him to California? It’s not up to UNL or the AD to deliver him to them. They didn’t have a warrant and they knew where he was and how to call him. 

So far none of this sounds to me like cause for an investigation into UNL. All I am seeing right now is the potential for some bad PR for letting him play. None of that is illegal or against the rules. It just potentially looks bad. 

• Plus1 1

If the California authorities get tired of spinning their wheels regarding interview/questioning MoWash . . . and feel they're getting stonewalled by UNL then, the problem could morph into obstruction etc.    We want to avoid that scenario and provide what the local Bay area  authorities are requesting (nicely so far).  Let's all just cooperate to get this over with.

Edited by Railroader
mo betta info

I have been following this story but have waited to comment. I am still waiting to see how this plays out, but if this was known in August it certainly casts doubt on the types of players we are willing to take/keep in the program. Perhaps the extent of these charges were not known, but this will bring some negative sustained PR for the football program given it appears the staff knew something was up. I hope Frost makes it clear he will not tolerate such misconduct no matter how talented a player is.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Railroader said:

If the California authorities get tired of spinning their wheels regarding interview/questioning MoWash . . . and feel they're getting stonewalled by UNL then, the problem could morph into obstruction etc.    We want to avoid that scenario and provide what the local Bay area  authorities are requesting (nicely so far).

Why don’t you explain how the AD can provide anything to them or how they obstructed anything.

I also suggest you keep up, seeing as his lawyer has said Washington is going to surrender himself once the warrant is issued. 

3 minutes ago, Railroader said:

If the California authorities get tired of spinning their wheels regarding interview/questioning MoWash . . . and feel they're getting stonewalled by UNL then, the problem could morph into obstruction etc.    We want to avoid that scenario and provide what the local Bay area  authorities are requesting (nicely so far).  Let's all just cooperate to get this over with.

You don't have to cooperate with anything until charges are filed, which was today.  You have the right to remain silent, and not indict yourself.   It is a smart practice to not talk with police, you know,  anything you say can,  and will,  be used AGAINST you in a court of law.

4 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I have been following this story but have waited to comment. I am still waiting to see how this plays out, but if this was known in August it certainly casts doubt on the types of players we are willing to take/keep in the program. Perhaps the extent of these charges were not known, but this will bring some negative sustained PR for the football program given it appears the staff knew something was up. I hope Frost makes it clear he will not tolerate such misconduct no matter how talented a player is.

I feel like we have been recruiting very upstanding kids.  It doesn't seem like this was known and he hadn't shown other behavior like this to my knowledge.  Let's see how they respond.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

My theory now is UNL is hoping to differentiate between lawyers who are under their permanent employ and a lawyer they hired to represent Washington.

Not really sure why they'd lie about it though. Lying is always worse, and waiting for charges is a reasonable explanation for why he still played, imo.

Or the investigators misinterpreted what was told to them. It’s very possible Bruning told them that he was hired to represent Mo without saying who hired him and the investigators assumed he was hired by the university. And from there it became an issue one investigator noting in the file Bruning was UNLs attorney. It’s sad but this type of miscommunication happens all the time.