Maurice Washington Faces Charges

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

So any person who makes an accusation is to be believed, period?  Because that's a really, really bad policy.

Should probably report those posts, then.

I think it is okay to believe a person when they claim something like this.  But then the FACTS need to be investigated to either prove or disprove.  

I figured with the number of Mods weighing in, one of them would have taken action.  Maybe they have.

Just now, knapplc said:

So any person who makes an accusation is to be believed, period?  Because that's a really, really bad policy.

Knapp, that's certainly not what I said. Additionally, you clearly didn't read what I put out there. 

Yes, there are false allegations. However, those numbers are extremely low with the most generous of numbers putting it at 5% of reported rapes which are thought to be (generously again) at 17% of all rapes. 

But I will say it here. Yes people should be believed and yes people should be given due process. And yes, we as a society are awful about blaming the victim in rape situations. And yes, we will get it wrong once in awhile, the same way we do with any other crime. 

• Plus1 2

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

I think it is okay to believe a person when they claim something like this.  But then the FACTS need to be investigated to either prove or disprove.   

I feel like both parties should be treated equally.  The alleged victim could be right or making false accusations. The alleged victim deserves no special privileges, but does deserve a safe space to make their accusation.

In the same way, the alleged perpetrator deserves a safe space before all the facts are in. Personally, I don't think the accused should be named in rape cases until they go to trial.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Personally, I don't think the accused should be named in rape cases until they go to trial.

Interestingly, I feel like this could be applied to any number of criminal proceedings. "Mugshot" galleries are a pretty good example of what I'm on about. The Journal Star has been a big fan of sharing those for years, I imagine largely because it drives a lot of page views.

But, the perception of someone changes as soon as they put on the traditional garb and take a mugshot. Could be a DUI, could be murder, could be rape, could be some sort of minor felony. We're incredibly hesitant to name the children victims and victims of sexual assault, as we should be, yet we seem to have no issue dragging the accused's name through the mud before they've ever had any opportunity at due process.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

Knapp, that's certainly not what I said. Additionally, you clearly didn't read what I put out there. 

Yes, there are false allegations. However, those numbers are extremely low with the most generous of numbers putting it at 5% of reported rapes which are thought to be (generously again) at 17% of all rapes. 

But I will say it here. Yes people should be believed and yes people should be given due process. And yes, we as a society are awful about blaming the victim in rape situations. And yes, we will get it wrong once in awhile, the same way we do with any other crime. 

You're claiming that this thread is the problem.  If you're talking about specific people in this thread, you should be more specific, because I can tell you without a doubt I am not part of the problem. Having posted in this thread, that's a tough thing to hear.

8 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

This isn't how the world works, there's no evidence this is how the world works. None of the literature supports this notion. In fact, the literature says that the reason people don't report rape is for exactly what has been going on in this thread. People are arguing about semantics, questioning if she just wants to save face or not, saying that oral sex can't be forced. We are all the problem here and we use it as further justification to discredit the victim. 

The bold - don't speak for me like this. I am not part of the problem you're talking about here, and generalities like this don't help the discussion. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

First, thank you for framing this as an opinion. 

No.

Just no. 

This isn't how the world works, there's no evidence this is how the world works. None of the literature supports this notion. In fact, the literature says that the reason people don't report rape is for exactly what has been going on in this thread. People are arguing about semantics, questioning if she just wants to save face or not, saying that oral sex can't be forced. We are all the problem here and we use it as further justification to discredit the victim. 

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/BF00160012.pdf - legal journal

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1077801210387749 - psych journal probably the best article to read. 

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1077801216630147 - psych journal

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1077801213487044 - psych journal

https://xyonline.net/content/false-allegations-sexual-assault-and-domestic-violence - less scientific but a decent summary. 

I'm embarrassed by this thread. It's not a good look for us. Even more so, that the nature of the crime as it's relevant to Nebraska football has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SEX. It has to do with the video and sharing the video. 

Wait...are you saying that you don't think people have had sex, regretted that sex and then made up an excuse as to why that sex happened?

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I didn't say they ALL spoke up immediately.  Some sure did. The horror is that they weren't listened to, or were shut down.

12 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Interesting that there are some posters in here doing the same thing to the girl in this situation.  Some even suggesting that SHE was in control of the situation.

4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Here's one

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Here's another

You  can understand my confusion when you're saying that in response to my post, but clearly not talking about me. 

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I feel like both parties should be treated equally.  The alleged victim could be right or making false accusations. The alleged victim deserves no special privileges, but does deserve a safe space to make their accusation.

In the same way, the alleged perpetrator deserves a safe space before all the facts are in. Personally, I don't think the accused should be named in rape cases until they go to trial.

Both parties should be treated equally.  But if someone claims assault, then the cops investigate an assault.  And then go where the evidence and facts lead them.  But in no way could a cop do their job effectively if they immediately didn't believe a claim.  They wouldn't put the effort into proving or disproving

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I again want to encourage you to read some of the data on false accusations. The numbers are small. 

However, I'm curious about this. Do you feel like these same rights should be given to people charged with other crimes? Lets look at other crimes that involve 2 people regularly, murder. So if someone is accused of murder and the claims have at least some weight (so like in this case, we have a video showing a sexual act....lets say there's a video of the murdered person and someone accused of murder recently arguing and it's known that the person accused has access to a weapon) should the accused be able to walk around freely without having their name disclosed until their day in court? 

If no, why is this different? 

If yes, is there any case where a person without definitive proof should have their freedom stripped before they are found guilty? 

This is a genuine question, not trying to prove a point. 

• Plus1 1