Maurice Washington Faces Charges

I’m sure this has been stated before (maybe)... one of the kids in the actual video performing the sexual assault ended up sending the video to the entire school (lots of kids at the school). So he had similar charges but also had the assault charges and he ended up with 1 year probation..

Right or wrong, Washington won’t receive any harsher punishment than that. In terms of status with Nebraska he may receive some sort of suspension but length could be 1 drive or 6 games (highly doubt that) and he’ll probably do some community service with victims of sexual assault/ abuse. He won’t lose his scholarship based on the info and charges we have now 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

I’m sure this has been stated before (maybe)... one of the kids in the actual video performing the sexual assault ended up sending the video to the entire school (lots of kids at the school). So he had similar charges but also had the assault charges and he ended up with 1 year probation..

Right or wrong, Washington won’t receive any harsher punishment than that. In terms of status with Nebraska he may receive some sort of suspension but length could be 1 drive or 6 games (highly doubt that) and he’ll probably do some community service with victims of sexual assault/ abuse. He won’t lose his scholarship based on the info and charges we have now 

I disagree somewhat.  The kid who got probation was not charged for sexual assault.  Washingtons second charge is a felony, which is serious.  But I think it is reach & the prosecutors are throwing that in the mix so they can get plea and some type of conviction.   Even if it is minor.  I also believe he will get community service and keep his scholarship. 

• Plus1 3
50 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I disagree somewhat.  The kid who got probation was not charged for sexual assault.  Washingtons second charge is a felony, which is serious.  But I think it is reach & the prosecutors are throwing that in the mix so they can get plea and some type of conviction.   Even if it is minor.  I also believe he will get community service and keep his scholarship. 

Charge up, plead down.  That's how it works, whether it is right or wrong is another topic.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

This is a broad question.  Is probation one coming out of prison or probation as plea bargin.  Totally different instances. 

They're not that different.  Parole, which is what guys from state prison get, is a situation where guys get out early, but aren't necessarily free as they have stipulations they must adhere to.  Violations of their parole can result in their parole being revoked and the parolee can be returned to prison to finish out their original sentence.  Common stipulations are no drugs/alcohol, no contact with victims, no new crimes, weekly visits with their Parole/Probation Officer.

Probation is pretty much the same thing but comes from the county.  It, too, has the same stipulations attached and can also be revoked.  In the situation of a plea bargain, a revocation of probation can result in that person being sent to jail to do the time that is associated with their crime.  Remember, a plea bargain is still a plea of guilt.

The real differences between the two besides who (state or county) dolled them out is the crimes associated with them and the duration (time) of their sentences.  Here in Oregon, anybody sentenced to a correctional facility for up to a year will find themselves in a county jail (eligible for probation).  A year and a day or more and they will become the ward of the Department of Corrections and find themselves in a state prison (eligible for parole).   

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

They're not that different.  Parole, which is what guys from state prison get, is a situation where guys get out early, but aren't necessarily free as they have stipulations they must adhere to.  Violations of their parole can result in their parole being revoked and the parolee can be returned to prison to finish out their original sentence.  Common stipulations are no drugs/alcohol, no contact with victims, no new crimes, weekly visits with their Parole/Probation Officer.

Probation is pretty much the same thing but comes from the county.  It, too, has the same stipulations attached and can also be revoked.  In the situation of a plea bargain, a revocation of probation can result in that person being sent to jail to do the time that is associated with their crime.  Remember, a plea bargain is still a plea of guilt.

The real differences between the two besides who (state or county) dolled them out is the crimes associated with them and the duration (time) of their sentences.  Here in Oregon, anybody sentenced to a correctional facility for up to a year will find themselves in a county jail (eligible for probation).  A year and a day or more and they will become the ward of the Department of Corrections and find themselves in a state prison (eligible for parole).   

The big difference is if you are coming out prison, you did much more than being sentenced probation for a plea bargain.

Even if this gets the charges pled down to probation, wouldn’t he have to serve that probation in CA?

I know there are circumstances where under the Interstate Compact probatation can be moved from one state to another, but the state that put him on probation (CA) would have to decide if the case qualifies and also approve the transfer.  Obviously NE would have to approve the request. If approved they would also have to allow travel outside of NE during his probation. 

31 minutes ago, NoKoolAidForME said:

Even if this gets the charges pled down to probation, wouldn’t he have to serve that probation in CA?

I know there are circumstances where under the Interstate Compact probatation can be moved from one state to another, but the state that put him on probation (CA) would have to decide if the case qualifies and also approve the transfer.  Obviously NE would have to approve the request. If approved they would also have to allow travel outside of NE during his probation. 

Possibly could require a RS year.

Washington is suspected of storing the video on his cellphone and sending it to the victim last March. He is charged with a felony count of possessing a video or photograph of a person under 18 who is engaging in or simulating sexual conduct and a misdemeanor count of posting a video or photograph of a person engaging in or simulating sexual conduct without consent, leading to the person suffering emotional distress. Washington was a star at The King's Academy in Sunnyvale, California, where he met the girl. He later attended high school in Texas.

Ball stressed that Washington was not involved in the alleged assault.

"Mr. Washington had absolutely nothing to do with the alleged sexual assault," Ball said in a statement. "The young woman in this case did not even allege that the recorded incident was sexual assault and nonconsensual until recently, after she allegedly received the video from Mr. Washington, years after the alleged assault happened. This is about two young people who were once boyfriend and girlfriend in the eighth grade, and their communications years later. Without all the facts, any judgment of anything in this case is premature, and would be based only on speculation and conjecture. Mr. Washington is presumed to be innocent. He will address this case in a court of law, relying on rules of evidence and due process."

I'm failing to see how it's going to stand up in court that he posted a video of "sexual conduct without consent" when no one has even been convicted of "sexual conduct without consent." How can they even label it that way?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25999653/arrest-warrant-issued-nebraska-maurice-washington-explicit-video-case

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm failing to see how it's going to stand up in court that he posted a video of "sexual conduct without consent" when no one has even been convicted of "sexual conduct without consent." How can they even label it that way?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25999653/arrest-warrant-issued-nebraska-maurice-washington-explicit-video-case

I think it's saying posting the video without consent. Not posting a video of a non consensual sex act. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, I am I said:

Let’s just wait and see what happens  

But people have emotions and hot takes and stuff. We're just supposed to wait and be patient and let all the facts come out before making a firm decision?

I think I need to sit down. I'm not ready for a rational world right now.

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, NoKoolAidForME said:

Might depend on the state but didn't alex lewis get to serve his time and probation in Nebraska even though he dropped that dude on his head in Colorado.