Maurice Washington Faces Charges

11 hours ago, WhatDoIKnow said:

I will be surprised if he is a member of the football team in 2019.

At the risk of beating a dead horse or feeding a fed horse (sorry PETA)... I don't think there's any substantial reason to hold this opinion, at least not yet. Let's get the low-hanging fruit out of the way first and say this is all alleged. Innocent until proven guilty.

Second, legal precedent and the circumstances surrounding what he's accused of doing suggest the very plausible outcome that he would likely only receive probation/diversion if he were to do something like take a plea deal.

Lastly, the university has chosen so far to stick with Mo, despite being well within their right to back away from him and provide distance. This suggests they're going to wait and see what the legal system says. If Mo gets what amounts to a minor penalty or slap on the wrist, he will probably be back on the team. The only thing that would likely remove him from the team is if the legal system causes it.

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Enhance said:

At the risk of beating a dead horse or feeding a fed horse (sorry PETA)... I don't think there's any substantial reason to hold this opinion, at least not yet. Let's get the low-hanging fruit out of the way first and say this is all alleged. Innocent until proven guilty.

Second, legal precedent and the circumstances surrounding what he's accused of doing suggest the very plausible outcome that he would likely only receive probation/diversion if he were to do something like take a plea deal.

Lastly, the university has chosen so far to stick with Mo, despite being well within their right to back away from him and provide distance. This suggests they're going to wait and see what the legal system says. If Mo gets what amounts to a minor penalty or slap on the wrist, he will probably be back on the team. The only thing that would likely remove him from the team is if the legal system causes it.

Probably the most level headed post to date on here. 

59 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Again, I do not completely disagree with what you're saying.  There are still a lot of IFs.  IF he held onto the video for two years, or obtained it again from someone he knew still had it, that shows some poor character IMO.  He had plenty of time to do the right thing and delete it.  Why would you hold onto a video of your current GF engaged in acts with someone else?  Again, all IFs.

The university can support Washington through the process, and I would hope they would do so.  Even if he does get what amounts to a slap on the wrist, it is my opinion that he shouldn't be a member of the team if he used the video for revenge.  At some point character matters.

All IFs.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

It's going to be interesting to see how people react to Washington staying on the team. Several people drawing lines in the sand that are going to be difficult to walk back.

I wonder how much cache Frost is going to spend to keep him on the team. Probably not a lot locally, but nationally might be a different story. 

1 hour ago, WhatDoIKnow said:

The university can support Washington through the process, and I would hope they would do so.  Even if he does get what amounts to a slap on the wrist, it is my opinion that he shouldn't be a member of the team if he used the video for revenge.  At some point character matters.

I can name you about 20 Huskers from the last 20-25 years who should've never played a down at Nebraska if we're saying what Mo is accused of doing constitutes as low enough character to be removed from the team. And those are just the ones I can name.

I won't excuse what he is accused of doing. It's idiotic and definitely a "low character" move, but we're talking about non-violent crime accusations here. This is an interesting line to draw in the sand when taken into context of what could happen and things that have happened with university athletes.

• Plus1 2
17 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

I think the vast majority of people posting about this have noble intentions,  just differences of opinion. 

Yeah this.  Problem is people are emotionally investing themselves in this and lashing out at anyone who has a differing opinion.  Example, MW thread 2.0

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, WhatDoIKnow said:

At some point character matters.

It does, but this is a correctable matter. Everyone has low character moments in their lives. Occasionally, people see those moments. That doesn't mean they are a low character person that cannot change. This is bad mistake but one that can be learned from and not a permanent smudge on his character imo. If he has a pattern of this behavior, things change.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Nah, I'm just saying it's weird. It's like those people who declare they're moving to Canada if their politician isn't elected. They never move, do they?

I don't recall anyone saying they wouldn't still be a Husker fan if Washington didn't receive the punishment they think he deserves.

I thought he should be gone from the team.  I've since softened that stance to 4-6 games suspension.  If Frost decides anything less than that, I'm still a fan of Nebraska football.

• Plus1 1

I think this is a case of a 17-18 year old high school kid who is immature and did something stupid that he probably regrets. Enough of the "Nebraska program is holier than though". People love to say stuff in the recruiting thread all the time making excuses for poor behavior by recruits by saying "they are just high school kids". Like making a commitment then backing out like 5 different times. 

I am not naive to understand what washington did does not compare to backing out on a commitment. My only comparison is people give passes all the time to these young kids by saying they are just an 18 year old high school kid. So why all of a sudden should they not be judged as such. 

Seriously most of you probably remember being in high school and college. Doing stupid things you regret. Saying stupid things, doing stupid things and so on. Maybe you never had a video of your ex giving a dude a BJ. But I am sure many have done dumb things- so lets not judge the kid too harshly. I am guessing most of us grew up before iphones and social media so our stupid mistakes were not documented.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

I just didn't understand the "walk back" part of your statement.

I think he was just saying it's going to be somewhat awkward for the people who are chastising Washington now if/when he doesn't get kicked off the team.  Are they going to cheer for him if he doesn't get kicked off the team and continues to do well?  Or are they going to continue to hold the opinion he's not a good person and that he shouldn't be playing?  I think most will probably go with the former, hence walking back their comments.

• Plus1 3