Maurice Washington Faces Charges

18 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I hope you’re right but I didn’t see anything in the article to suggest this will happen tomorrow. This is Mo’s first court date so he’ll probably plead not guilty, bail will be determined and his next court date set.  Prosecutors are in no rush to agree to a lesser charge.  Living in Nebraska is a big disadvantage for Mo. As a college student he has limited funds but the state of CA does not. Also the prosecutor would probably want this to drag out past the summer and into the season.  I wouldn’t expect any kind of agreement to a lesser charge until the real trial approaches, possibly the day of. It’s also possible that they might really go after Mo to make an example of how serious they take this new law. If the case is still pending this fall and is getting a lot of attention, Frost may not play him. This isn’t even worst case scenario for Mo.

It's possible a plea deal has already been agreed upon and, if so, they would discuss it today. If it is complete, they'd be able to present that to the judge and enter their plea of either guilty or no contest. It happens with some regularity at these initial hearings, depending on the alleged crimes and any other motives the prosecution may or may not have.

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It's possible a plea deal has already been agreed upon and, if so, they would discuss it today. If it is complete, they'd be able to present that to the judge and enter their plea of either guilty or no contest. It happens with some regularity at these initial hearings, depending on the alleged crimes and any other motives the prosecution may or may not have.

This is what a self-described defense attorney believes has happened. From "RacistJudicata" on Reddit.

Hi, defense attorney here. He has likely already accepted a plea deal. It could go straight to sentencing but I'm not sure how it goes in California, they might wait until a later date. My hope (and best guess) is that this involves some kind of probation if Mo pleas guilty to a lesser charge, and they can drop the second charge. As for what that means for him on the football team, that's up to Frost. If he is returning to Nebraska, it's likely they will let him serve probation in Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It’s possible. I presented what also could happen so people aren’t disappointed if it’s not resolved today.  This could drag on for a while... wheels of justice.

Kids an incredible talent and I hope all ends well with this. I don't think he could have ever imagined having a video of an ex-girlfriend on his phone would have blown up to this. Hopefully he cleans it up and moves forward. I would hate to have another LP situation here. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

What "fake narratives" is he talking about here?

I think context is needed for this tweet to make sense. Maybe this was Frost’s response when asked about Mo’s legal woes?  The tweet makes it sound like Frost was asked about Mo’s classroom performance though.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

This is just speculation, but if he's having all these legal issues and he's not playing this spring, people could be worried about his grades. I guess we'll have to wait and see if any more context comes out.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

To continue the speculation, I wonder if there's a "fake narrative" that this staff doesn't recruit the most high character guys, that will do well on and off the field and that the staff cares more about winning?  There has been some of those questions around a few of the guys this staff has recruited.

I think there's also the assumption that since Washington almost didn't qualify, maybe he's not very bright or at least unmotivated. I don't think that's true since it sounds like a lot of the issues had to do with transferring schools, but I've heard people reference the concerns with him as a student. Seems like it's a non-issue.

• Plus1 1