Maurice Washington Faces Charges

53 minutes ago, JoeSakic2019 said:

Held and Walters both kind of hinted last week that there may be some off the field issues. 

Yeah, I heard about something too.  Something about a video of an ex-girlfriend or something.  I'm not really sure.  But there is definitely something going on. :P

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Why would he, as he is a friend.  Sorry, if a friend means something different to you!

I think he was being sarcastic. As in, I think anyone could have guessed that. It wouldn't take a lawyer to come to that conclusion. 

At least that's how I interpreted it.

8 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think he was being sarcastic. As in, I think anyone could have guessed that. It wouldn't take a lawyer to come to that conclusion. 

At least that's how I interpreted it.

It was also a humorous jab at lawyers charging for everything but how did he know I only have a-holes for friends?

3 hours ago, Day by Day said:

This is just speculation, but if he's having all these legal issues and he's not playing this spring, people could be worried about his grades. I guess we'll have to wait and see if any more context comes out.

Context

I think Frost's first thought in answering the question of how Mo has been doing the past couple months was how Mo was doing grade wise which reminded him of the team GPA which is probably something he had wanted to tell the press about for a while.  It's one thing to have your coach congratulate the team for this accomplishment but it probably makes them feel more pride if they know Frost was praising them for it to the public.  So he answers it by talking about the team GPA and how Mo contributed to it.  I don't see a deflection.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/husker-running-back-maurice-washington-pleads-not-guilty-in-california/article_07e17786-3ab8-50ed-86d9-caf251438b6e.html

Hopefully Mo was advised to use a public defender for this trial to conserve his limited funds.  The next trial on May 13 is to determine which lawyer will represent him essentially forcing him to find and pay for an attorney in CA.  I'd advise borrowing money or selling assets in order to get good legal representation.  I firmly believe "lawyering up" helps when trying to reach a plea agreement and sadly the severity of punishment received is inversely proportional to how much money you have and are willing to expend to fight in court.  I don't think his prospects are good if he is represented by a public defender.

22 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Gotcha, thanks.

He's been out on bail.  Since part of today's hearing was to review the bail amount I suppose the judge could have raised the amount and if Mo couldn't pay it then he would get locked up.  To play it safe, Mo should check out some UNL distant learning courses for fall semester.  

Washington had posted 10 percent of his $35,000 bail in March and was released from Santa Clara County custody within hours of being booked into jail. 

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/husker-running-back-maurice-washington-pleads-not-guilty-in-california/article_07e17786-3ab8-50ed-86d9-caf251438b6e.html

23 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'm sure he will be able to "pay" a decent lawyer 

I think I know what you are implying but how can he do this legitimately?  He's a college student and I don't think his family is wealthy.  These are questions the NCAA might ask.  I've been thinking of ways for Mo to get money to pay for an attorney.  It makes sense that someone might loan him say $50K if Mo agrees to pay back $100K when he turns pro, so the "collateral" he's putting up is pro potential.  I don't think that somebody can be associated with UNL in any way without running afoul of some NCAA rule.  A CA attorney that is a Nebraska alum willing to handle the case pro bono would probably be considered an impermissible benefit.  Would the NCAA allow Mo to set up a GoFundMe for his defense?  I have no idea how a normal person goes about getting money to pay for defending themselves against a criminal charge but it seems like being a NCAA athlete could restrict the possibilities.  

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I think I know what you are implying but how can he do this legitimately?  He's a college student and I don't think his family is wealthy.  These are questions the NCAA might ask.  I've been thinking of ways for Mo to get money to pay for an attorney.  It makes sense that someone might loan him say $50K if Mo agrees to pay back $100K when he turns pro, so the "collateral" he's putting up is pro potential.  I don't think that somebody can be associated with UNL in any way without running afoul of some NCAA rule.  A CA attorney that is a Nebraska alum willing to handle the case pro bono would probably be considered an impermissible benefit.  Would the NCAA allow Mo to set up a GoFundMe for his defense?  I have no idea how a normal person goes about getting money to pay for defending themselves against a criminal charge but it seems like being a NCAA athlete could restrict the possibilities.  

I dont know how difficult of a case this really is and dont know that a lawyer would charge him 50k.  If in the case of the pro bono being an impermissible benefit a lawyer could take a much lower fee.  They could just take the amount he paid for bail and call it a day