Maurice Washington Faces Charges

12 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I think I know what you are implying but how can he do this legitimately?  He's a college student and I don't think his family is wealthy.  These are questions the NCAA might ask.  I've been thinking of ways for Mo to get money to pay for an attorney.  It makes sense that someone might loan him say $50K if Mo agrees to pay back $100K when he turns pro, so the "collateral" he's putting up is pro potential.  I don't think that somebody can be associated with UNL in any way without running afoul of some NCAA rule.  A CA attorney that is a Nebraska alum willing to handle the case pro bono would probably be considered an impermissible benefit.  Would the NCAA allow Mo to set up a GoFundMe for his defense?  I have no idea how a normal person goes about getting money to pay for defending themselves against a criminal charge but it seems like being a NCAA athlete could restrict the possibilities.  

3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I dont know how difficult of a case this really is and dont know that a lawyer would charge him 50k.  If in the case of the pro bono being an impermissible benefit a lawyer could take a much lower fee.  They could just take the amount he paid for bail and call it a day 

4skers89 raises valid points. Even an attorney lowering a fee would be an impermissible benefit. It really puts a person in Mo's situation in bad situation and I would argue violates his right to a fair trial and to defend himself. 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I dont know how difficult of a case this really is and dont know that a lawyer would charge him 50k.  If in the case of the pro bono being an impermissible benefit a lawyer could take a much lower fee.  They could just take the amount he paid for bail and call it a day 

True...they could also take their normal fee and just never collect it.  

I have a lawyer friend that will tell me all the time that people still have not paid on work he did 3-4 years ago...

So basically you charge your normal rate, wait 6 months to send a bill, then wait to worry about the bill, then make contact about setting up a payment plan, and blah blah blah...before you know it Mo is done at NU and no one gives a f#&%.

• Plus1 2

I'm not a lawyer, but I took some Criminal Justice classes at DONU. Could a Lawyer claim this as pro-bono work and represent him free of charge? Would this still be considered an NCAA violation? Its a 'good deal' for any other citizen...not specifically the next great Husker RB :wub:

5 hours ago, teachercd said:

True...they could also take their normal fee and just never collect it.  

I have a lawyer friend that will tell me all the time that people still have not paid on work he did 3-4 years ago...

So basically you charge your normal rate, wait 6 months to send a bill, then wait to worry about the bill, then make contact about setting up a payment plan, and blah blah blah...before you know it Mo is done at NU and no one gives a f#&%.

Sounds like you need to be in some sort of advisory roll at the University! HA!

Just now, funhusker said:

Sounds like you need to be in some sort of advisory roll at the University! HA!

Ha!

It is just so easy...what is the NCAA going to do?  Ask the lawyer for a copy of the receipt?  Go ahead...they have no power to actually force anyone to turn over the documents.

28 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ha!

It is just so easy...what is the NCAA going to do?  Ask the lawyer for a copy of the receipt?  Go ahead...they have no power to actually force anyone to turn over the documents.

Yea...just tell the NCAA to mind their own business. Thats gonna work out well!

9 minutes ago, JoeSakic2019 said:

Yea...just tell the NCAA to mind their own business. Thats gonna work out well!

Why wouldn't it?

If the NCAA contacted me right now...asking for personal or business information I would reply back with "Sure, send me all your documents first"

What are they going to do?  I don't work for them, they don't have subpoena power, they don't have the ability to arrest people.  They are a company, it would be like Burger King asking me for information.  

Not to mention, wouldn't the cost of the work on his case fall under attorney/client privilege?  

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, JoeSakic2019 said:

Maurice Washington works for the NCAA. You do not.

No...that is like saying I work for the government which I do not.  MW "works" for NU which is governed by the NCAA.  The NCAA does not pay for his tuition or gives him money. 

6 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

What, the NCAA getting in the way of basic individual rights?! I'm shocked. 

I don’t get it. The NCAA is stopping him from getting something he would never have gotten without being a football player, so they’re not really getting in the way at all.

I think it’s messed up that $ can determine whether you get a fair trial and what your sentence is, but the NCAA didn’t cause that.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t get it. The NCAA is stopping him from getting something he would never have gotten without being a football player, so they’re not really getting in the way at all.

I think it’s messed up that $ can determine whether you get a fair trial and what your sentence is, but the NCAA didn’t cause that.

Hmm, not entirely true.  Sometimes lawyers will negotiate fees with the client. What if the NCAA sees that and interprets it as a benefit?

It's also none of the NCAA's business either way but thats a whole different discussion. 

10 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Hmm, not entirely true.  Sometimes lawyers will negotiate fees with the client. What if the NCAA sees that and interprets it as a benefit?

It's also none of the NCAA's business either way but thats a whole different discussion. 

You’re just imagining scenarios now. You don’t know whether they would interpret it as a benefit. People were talking about someone being his lawyer for free. Yes there are pro bono cases but I can’t see this as being the type of case a bunch of lawyers would be lining up to do for free if he weren’t a football player.

It is the NCAA’s business if he’s getting an improper benefit, because it’s against their rules. 

59 minutes ago, JoeSakic2019 said:

Maurice Washington works for the NCAA. You do not.

Not really...but even if he did, the invoice would come from his lawyer...so to get that invoice that NCAA would have to ask his lawyer.

This would be like my boss asking my lawyer for an invoice for work that my lawyer did for me...they can ask...but...

I really don't think we need to worry about how Mo is going to be able to pay a lawyer. Also don't think it will be any sort of NCAA issue.  Lawyer can bill him the going rate with the understanding it will be paid at a later date (maybe 4 or 5 years later), possibly accruing interest along the way. It's not an NCAA violation to not pay a bill or to pay it late and I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to find a suitable lawyer that would understand his earning potential down the road is probably pretty good....or a lawyer that doesn't really care if he ever pays the full amount.

But man I love the off season.

• Fire 2