Maurice Washington Faces Charges

Callahan mentioned that the court appearance is this week. I just looked it up and it’s July 25th.

He also stated that he (paraphrasing) gets the vibe that Washington is going to be playing this year and that they’re going to be able to plea these down to lesser charges. He (Callahan) didn’t give any more information on why he feels that way. I believe he talked about it in the Media Days summary video.

• Plus1 5

29 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Callahan mentioned that the court appearance is this week. I just looked it up and it’s July 25th.

He also stated that he (paraphrasing) gets the vibe that Washington is going to be playing this year and that they’re going to be able to plea these down to lesser charges. He (Callahan) didn’t give any more information on why he feels that way. I believe he talked about it in the Media Days summary video.

If true this is great great news. 

3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

According to the roster Washington is 190 now. Matching his high school playing weight. Do we know if that is accurate or where it sits now?

I'm not sure what his weight has to do with his legal troubles, but I would assume his roster weight is correct. It's actually a 20lb improvement, he showed up on campus at 170. 

2 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

I'm not sure what his weight has to do with his legal troubles, but I would assume his roster weight is correct. It's actually a 20lb improvement, he showed up on campus at 170. 

The post about Callahan saying he should play got me wondering what kind of strides he made gaining weight. If he is at 190 that would be a big help for on the field production. But the roster last year said 190 and it says 190 this year. I was curious if any insiders on the board know if he truly put in weight or if he is still super skinny. 

5 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The post about Callahan saying he should play got me wondering what kind of strides he made gaining weight. If he is at 190 that would be a big help for on the field production. But the roster last year said 190 and it says 190 this year. I was curious if any insiders on the board know if he truly put in weight or if he is still super skinny. 

He wasnt 190 last year.  I'm 6'1 200 lbs and i remember what i looked like at 190 on film.  He was closer to 175 unless he just has really heavy bones

14 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

He wasnt 190 last year.  I'm 6'1 200 lbs and i remember what i looked like at 190 on film.  He was closer to 175 unless he just has really heavy bones

What @Huskers93-97 is getting at is he was listed at 190 last year but his real weight was 15lbs lighter. So it's hard to know if he's actually 190lbs nown even though he's listed at 190.

46 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I get that.  I guess we will know if he plays and looks bigger than last year and is still only listed as 190 

I know Mo was light last year, but one thing that makes him look skinnier than traditional I-backs is that he’s a legit 6’1”. That’s a tall RB. Most RB’s are in the 5’10-11 range. The only other “tall” RB that I remember at NU was Lawrence Phillips who was probably around 6’1”. LP was a “skinny” freshman who probably weighed 195 lbs. He didn’t bulk up to 215-220 until his sophomore year.

Mo’s max weight probably wouldn’t be much more than 200 lbs, but his long strides and quickness in the open field is what makes him such a threat in the passing game. I am sure he will be plenty effective at 185-195 lbs. 

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know Mo was light last year, but one thing that makes him look skinnier than traditional I-backs is that he’s a legit 6’1”. That’s a tall RB. Most RB’s are in the 5’10-11 range. The only other “tall” RB that I remember at NU was Lawrence Phillips who was probably around 6’1”. LP was a “skinny” freshman who probably weighed 195 lbs. He didn’t bulk up to 215-220 until his sophomore year.

Mo’s max weight probably wouldn’t be much more than 200 lbs, but his long strides and quickness in the open field is what makes him such a threat in the passing game. I am sure he will be plenty effective at 185-195 lbs. 

I concur.  I don't want him heavier than that, that's what Mills is for.

As a Broncos fan, I witnessed how Von Miller became way less effective when he gained 20 lbs because he lost the explosiveness.  Dropped the weight and he was right back being a terror.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

People can play this off how they want, but having Maurice this season is big. Hope all goes well and is settled Thursday 

I don't think people are playing this off, and most people agree that Maurice would be a huge component to our offense and vital to team's success this season.  He is a special talent, and the sooner he can get through his legal issues the better.

• Plus1 1

He is special but I guess I don't view him as one of those guys that is the difference between winning or losing a game or two this year.  Maybe I'm wrong but I think we have enough weapons on our offense to score plenty of points if he can't be on the field.  If he was the same type of talent on defense, I would view his presence or lack of much more important.  

5 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

He is special but I guess I don't view him as one of those guys that is the difference between winning or losing a game or two this year.  Maybe I'm wrong but I think we have enough weapons on our offense to score plenty of points if he can't be on the field.  If he was the same type of talent on defense, I would view his presence or lack of much more important.  

One person, besides a QB, probably won't make or break things by himself.  The thing that he can affect greatly however is boosting the number of options that have to be accounted for by the defense.   That is when things open up.  Harder to account for 4 playmakers versus 3, 5 versus 4 etc.  Cumulative effect.

4 hours ago, runningblind said:

The thing that he can affect greatly however is boosting the number of options that have to be accounted for by the defense.   That is when things open up.  Harder to account for 4 playmakers versus 3, 5 versus 4 etc.  Cumulative effect.

Last year is case in point. When Morgan and JD couldn’t get open (or just weren’t available) is when this offense slowed down.

This year should be a lot better, even if it were without Washington. I’d really love him to play as I think he brings an element that the others don’t, but we’d be ok either way. Rahmir is an interesting guy in that he’d be the guy talked about in a lot of other classes yet he’s almost forgotten in this one. I don’t think he’ll be forgotten by the time this is done. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1