Maurice Washington Faces Charges

4 hours ago, runningblind said:

One person, besides a QB, probably won't make or break things by himself.  The thing that he can affect greatly however is boosting the number of options that have to be accounted for by the defense.   That is when things open up.  Harder to account for 4 playmakers versus 3, 5 versus 4 etc.  Cumulative effect.

JD, Washington and Wandale with maybe mills on the field at the same team could cause major issues for a defense. I throw mills in there for the power effect. If the defense is chasing down those other 3 guys it may open up the middle for Mills to pound some power game.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

JD, Washington and Wandale with maybe mills on the field at the same team could cause major issues for a defense. I throw mills in there for the power effect. If the defense is chasing down those other 3 guys it may open up the middle for Mills to pound some power game. 

Or 2AM gets loose in the open field.

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Or Jack Stoll wide open down the seam

2 hours ago, brophog said:

Last year is case in point. When Morgan and JD couldn’t get open (or just weren’t available) is when this offense slowed down.

This year should be a lot better, even if it were without Washington. I’d really love him to play as I think he brings an element that the others don’t, but we’d be ok either way. Rahmir is an interesting guy in that he’d be the guy talked about in a lot of other classes yet he’s almost forgotten in this one. I don’t think he’ll be forgotten by the time this is done. 

I don’t know why “no one” is talking about Rahmir.  I think they will be soon enough.

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I wouldn’t expect that personnel grouping. The point of our R receiver is to be able to go 2 back without actually needing 2 backs. We saw Mo and Oz together some last year because we really didn’t have that capability. With Wandale we do. Optimally, Miles Jones can help there, too. Really optimally, we develop enough receivers who can play multiple spots that something like a JD/Noa/Wandale trio results in any of the three playing that spot on any given play.

What you’re describing with Mills is what we already do. Put an unbalanced set to the wide side to get a light box, and Mills does the rest. I think he’s really well suited for that application because it is so hard for one person to take him down.

• Plus1 4

On 7/23/2019 at 10:37 AM, Hilltop said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I think we have enough weapons on our offense to score plenty of points if he can't be on the field.

I think one of MW's greatest values is he has tangible playmaking experience in this offense. Spielman is the most proven commodity. Otherwise, a significant portion of the players who will likely start this year at the skill positions either a) didn't play for Nebraska in 2018 or b) had only a handful of touches all of 2018. It's probably also worth pointing out that J.D. has a history of missing portions of seasons due to injury. So, I ultimately think that's what has been one of the most concerning things about MW's legal troubles (from a football standpoint) is there was a real opportunity for him to grow and develop this off season to provide some measure of stability.

Of course, this isn't to say a lot of these new faces can't be what the team needs them to be in 2019. I just think the coaches obviously would've preferred an uninhibited offseason for MW.

6 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

My favorite player in the class....

There are just too many promising players for me to pick favorite- Wandale, Noa, Ty, Benhart, Rahmir, Luke, etc. It’s going to be fun when we can get them on the field. 

• Plus1 1

Still another 4-6 weeks ... he has the weed issue ... this is all set up for a perfect injury season for him.  You just don't step into Div I football too often with success with this type of history.  If it was the NFL, this type of situation would lead to an injury early in and be out the rest of the season.

All that to say, I'm wondering if it carries into game 3 or 4 if one doesn't look at just playing him for four games and making it a red shirt season.  I'm sure if they play him they will certainly reduce his role early and let him get into game shape.  If not, my fear would be an injury that leads to a long rehab process.

I think Frost said he has been working out with the team and is participating in fall camp so I think he should be in game shape. 

Also I think Frost said he was going to let this take its course before he makes a decision so until its resolved I think his role on the team continues as if nothing happened. 

Does anyone actually think the weed thing matters- he didnt even get caught with weed like some of the other players. It was a device in his room- we dont even know if it was his. 

My take is he plays early and often. Assuming this thing resolves in 6 weeks and he pleads down like Callahan thinks they will he will get a punishment that will be released that they are handling internally.