Maurice Washington Faces Charges

22 minutes ago, huskerguy said:

What happens at these dates though. It’s literally every 4-6 weeks. We wait for it to come and when it does the night before something always leaks out about “we’ll wait another 4-6 weeks for a possible resolution”

The Judge has other cases to hear and the attorneys/prosecutors have other case to try. They need time to prepare their documents, their statements, and review previous cases for legal basis. They have regular lives too, they take vacations like the rest of us. It fits in to the calendar when  it fits in. It all takes time my dude.

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, huskerguy said:

What happens at these dates though. It’s literally every 4-6 weeks. We wait for it to come and when it does the night before something always leaks out about “we’ll wait another 4-6 weeks for a possible resolution”

This is very typical of a case like this.  It's a legal procedure and making motions on evidence...etc.

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

My guess is this thing keeps delaying until sometime around January 2020 

At a minimum, I agree.

I think such a scenario actually gives Frost the leeway to say, "Well we're still waiting for the legal status of things to get sorted out." In that scenario Maurice will be playing this fall, as long as the court dates & associated travel don't somehow spill into Saturdays (which I highly doubt would even be a thing).

I actually feel more confident about him playing in the majority of games than I have at any point up till now.

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You don't keep a kid on the team like they have...just to kick him off.

I think that's probably correct. The only consideration would be if he receives some sort of legal punishment making it impossible to stay on the team.

From my perspective, it's innocent until proven guilty and he's accused of a non-violent crime. I'm not a big fan of punishing people before due process has played out, with some exceptions.

• Fire 1

I have hardly any experience in the legal world besides watching Suits... That being said when something like this keeps getting dragged out doesn't that mean it's good for the defendant? If the prosecutor were trying to make an example he's already lost the initial news coverage interest and they just extended it out for almost 6 more weeks and Washington doesn't even need to be present. It doesn't seem like this is taking high priority for them, but like I said I have no idea how this stuff works.

3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I have hardly any experience in the legal world besides watching Suits... That being said when something like this keeps getting dragged out doesn't that mean it's good for the defendant? If the prosecutor were trying to make an example he's already lost the initial news coverage interest and they just extended it out for almost 6 more weeks and Washington doesn't even need to be present. It doesn't seem like this is taking high priority for them, but like I said I have no idea how this stuff works.

I'm 99% sure he will not receive a hard punishment for this. He will play, well at that, and we will hear rival fans cry about that and kids on our team smoking j's. Just like the good ol days

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Yes.  Generally speaking, the longer this drags out, the better it is for the defendant.  

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, Enhance said:

From my perspective, it's innocent until proven guilty and he's accused of a non-violent crime.

This is a really great summary. The only thing that would invalidate it would be if he somehow pleads guilty, but I don't think that's the case.

In the scenario of a 'not guilty' pleading, how could Frost possibly even suspend him for game one if the proceedings are still ongoing? That would create a total cluster.