Maurice Washington Faces Charges

1 hour ago, huskerfan22 said:

So he has done multiple dumb things then

I'm a well-respected member of my community. A community leader in many respects.

From age 15 through about age 19 I did multiple ignorant, criminal acts. For which I was prosecuted, and paid penalties under the law.

I deserved those penalties. I probably wasn't subjected to the full penalties I should have been, to be honest.

But... here I am. Today, a pretty decent man. Flawed, but still very well-respected in my community. A leader. A person others look up to.

I feel like if I were to be judged for the crimes I committed when I was a teenager, I'd still be in prison to please some people.

Thank goodness that's not a reality.

I mean... congratulations to those of you who have never been stupid in your life. Good on you for that. But for those of us imperfect people... maybe figure out some empathy, huh?

• Plus1 7
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

A little heat coming Frost's way (Sorry, if it's been posted. I'm not skimming 139 pages at 7 posts a page:D)

And, again, that's maybe not why Washington was suspended. If these pages weren't cut to snippets you wouldn't have to go back very far to see some possible explanations for why Washington was given a half-game suspension.

Let's leave the muckrakers to their muckraking. Let's just stop being hysterical until we know all sides of this story.

Because not one person responding to this thread knows Mo Washington's side yet - he's never said anything public.

Everyone is reacting to half the story. 

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

A little heat coming Frost's way (Sorry, if it's been posted. I'm not skimming 139 pages at 7 posts a page:D)

I read her statement. She says “I am not going to sit back anymore and just watch what happens to me. I am going to say something.”

Which is more evidence that Washington didn’t know about the sexual assault accusation, which imo is important. Maybe not when it comes to the law but when it comes to the morality of the thing.

And this poster is acting like he’s been convicted. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't think it would be good policy at all for our athletic department or football team to leave these types of decisions in the hands of public opinion, especially those from social media. I couldn't give two sh#ts what a handful of haters say on social media and neither should Frost. You could easily find a thousand people that want players who have been caught for misdemeanor possession charges kicked off the team. Doesn't mean jack squat. And if Huskerboard is any indication, the calls for punishment are the loudest from those who don't know jack sh#t about what even happened. They hear girl, football player and something about sex and that's enough to dust off the rope and light the torches. Sad.

• Plus1 4
8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And, again, that's maybe not why Washington was suspended. If these pages weren't cut to snippets you wouldn't have to go back very far to see some possible explanations for why Washington was given a half-game suspension.

Let's leave the muckrakers to their muckraking. Let's just stop being hysterical until we know all sides of this story.

Because not one person responding to this thread knows Mo Washington's side yet - he's never said anything public.

Everyone is reacting to half the story. 

I agree. And the half story they think they know has not been verified or proven. That pretty much leaves next to nothing to base any calls for punishment on. 

I may end up being wrong but at least I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming innocent until proven guilty. I can change my position after the facts come out, if needed, and it won't be contradictory at all. Some other folks in here can't say the same thing.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree. And the half story they think they know has not been verified or proven. That pretty much leaves next to nothing to base any calls for punishment on. 

I may end up being wrong but at least I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming innocent until proven guilty. I can change my position after the facts come out, if needed, and it won't be contradictory at all. Some other folks in here can't say the same thing. 

I'm not going to be wrong because I'm reserving judgment until all the facts are out.

What a crazy world it would be if we all did that.

But hot takes on the forums are so much more important than patience, yanno!!!

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don't think it would be good policy at all for our athletic department or football team to leave these types of decisions in the hands of public opinion, especially those from social media. I couldn't give two sh#ts what a handful of haters say on social media and neither should Frost. You could easily find a thousand people that want players who have been caught for misdemeanor possession charges kicked off the team. Doesn't mean jack squat. And if Huskerboard is any indication, the calls for punishment are the loudest from those who don't know jack sh#t about what even happened. They hear girl, football player and something about sex and that's enough to dust off the rope and light the torches. Sad.

So maybe one reason some people think those even with misdemeanors shouldn’t play is because there’s a precedent for that. 

Here’s a sophomore wr from Texas with a pending misdemeanor weapons charge (owning a firearm without a license, in Texas!) serving a suspension until it’s over. 

Surely you see from an optics standpoint how this keeps the staff, program and University looking like they’re trying to do the right thing?  No one is looking for the “rope and torches” like you’re implying. I’d just like Nebraska to not get this type of Pr hit. 

• Plus1 1