Maurice Washington Faces Charges

54 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm a well-respected member of my community. A community leader in many respects.

From age 15 through about age 19 I did multiple ignorant, criminal acts. For which I was prosecuted, and paid penalties under the law.

I deserved those penalties. I probably wasn't subjected to the full penalties I should have been, to be honest.

But... here I am. Today, a pretty decent man. Flawed, but still very well-respected in my community. A leader. A person others look up to.

I feel like if I were to be judged for the crimes I committed when I was a teenager, I'd still be in prison to please some people.

Thank goodness that's not a reality.

I mean... congratulations to those of you who have never been stupid in your life. Good on you for that. But for those of us imperfect people... maybe figure out some empathy, huh?

You sure think highly of yourself 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I'm a well-respected member of my community. A community leader in many respects.

From age 15 through about age 19 I did multiple ignorant, criminal acts. For which I was prosecuted, and paid penalties under the law.

I deserved those penalties. I probably wasn't subjected to the full penalties I should have been, to be honest.

But... here I am. Today, a pretty decent man. Flawed, but still very well-respected in my community. A leader. A person others look up to.

I feel like if I were to be judged for the crimes I committed when I was a teenager, I'd still be in prison to please some people.

Thank goodness that's not a reality.

I mean... congratulations to those of you who have never been stupid in your life. Good on you for that. But for those of us imperfect people... maybe figure out some empathy, huh?

This is the blend of vanity, and humility I come to this board for everyday....;)

• Haha 2

Let’s all air some laundry. Who’s up? Me first. 

I got arrested in college. Twice. Stupid college mistakes. 

Paid my dues, embarrassed, beat myself up. Lost respect and trust. 

That was 21 yrs ago. I’m a much different man today than the idiot I was then. Family, friends, and football helped me get past that. 

Washington did something really stupid and sent a hurtful video. 

Hopefully Washington can have a second chance too. Pay his dues, learn, beat himself up, and not do those things again. 

If Frost is serious about running a clean program and not having bad kids in town, and keeps Washington on the team, then I’ll trust that’s it’s handled with utmost sincerity for this particular case. It can’t be that it just slides, I’ll fully trust Frost and the administration to make that call for appropriate punishment pending outcome. From .5 game suspension to full dismissal. Until the court decides, then Frost, then the administration, I’ll hold and wait. And trust it’s done the right way. No matter the scrutiny either way, and there will be scrutiny either way. 

• Plus1 5
3 hours ago, I am I said:

Let’s all air some laundry. Who’s up? Me first. 

I got arrested in college. Twice. Stupid college mistakes. 

Paid my dues, embarrassed, beat myself up. Lost respect and trust. 

That was 21 yrs ago. I’m a much different man today than the idiot I was then. Family, friends, and football helped me get past that. 

Washington did something really stupid and sent a hurtful video. 

Hopefully Washington can have a second chance too. Pay his dues, learn, beat himself up, and not do those things again. 

If Frost is serious about running a clean program and not having bad kids in town, and keeps Washington on the team, then I’ll trust that’s it’s handled with utmost sincerity for this particular case. It can’t be that it just slides, I’ll fully trust Frost and the administration to make that call for appropriate punishment pending outcome. From .5 game suspension to full dismissal. Until the court decides, then Frost, then the administration, I’ll hold and wait. And trust it’s done the right way. No matter the scrutiny either way, and there will be scrutiny either way. 

Thank you for being so forward. We all have made some bad choices in life. Those bad choices may have resulted in formal or informal discipline, but they don’t define who we are as a person. They may be part of our story, our evolution/growth, but they do not define us. @I am I, I can tell you’re a good person from the simple fact that you felt shame from the couple actions you took that were mistakes and you’re willing to take ownership of them. I’m sure Maurice feels shame from his mistake too. The coaching staff and the administration both see that side of Maurice. It’s a side we’ll never see unless we have the opportunity to meet him. We don’t get to see the fact that he’s a good son, a good nephew, a good neighbor, or a teammate. One day he will probably be a good dad, a good spouse, a good patriarch of his family who helps his grand children work through their own mistakes and take ownership of them to resolve them... the same way we all will.

That being said, repeated behaviors that go unaddressed due to a lack of remorse or conscience... that will define you. Maurice is far from that pattern of behavior. Has he done some selfish things? Yes. Did all of those things cause emotional distress for someone else and he continued to overlook and commit those types of mistakes? No. @huskerfan22, you’re not Maurice’s judge and jury now, and you’re sure as hell not the all seeing eye of his life. You can predict his behavior and prejudge him all you want, but you don’t get to define him, or anyone else for that matter. He does not have a pattern of behavior that indicates he is a sociopath. On the other hand, I hope you realize that your prejudgement can cause emotional distress for others as well when it is made public. Hopefully prejudgement isn’t a pattern of behavior for you and those in your life. If it has. been, I hope you feel some remorse from that pattern. If not, that would be unfortunate, and borderline sociopathic. I’ll let you be your own judge.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ZMagers22 said:

Thank you for being so forward. We all have made some bad choices in life. Those bad choices may have resulted in formal or informal discipline, but they don’t define who we are as a person. They may be part of our story, our evolution/growth, but they do not define us. @I am I, I can tell you’re a good person from the simple fact that you felt shame from the couple actions you took that were mistakes and you’re willing to take ownership of them. I’m sure Maurice feels shame from his mistake too. The coaching staff and the administration both see that side of Maurice. It’s a side we’ll never see unless we have the opportunity to meet him. We don’t get to see the fact that he’s a good son, a good nephew, a good neighbor, or a teammate. One day he will probably be a good dad, a good spouse, a good patriarch of his family who helps his grand children work through their own mistakes and take ownership of them to resolve them... the same way we all will.

That being said, repeated behaviors that go unaddressed due to a lack of remorse or conscience... that will define you. Maurice is far from that pattern of behavior. Has he done some selfish things? Yes. Did all of those things cause emotional distress for someone else and he continued to overlook and commit those types of mistakes? No. @huskerfan22, you’re not Maurice’s judge and jury now, and you’re sure as hell not the all seeing eye of his life. You can predict his behavior and prejudge him all you want, but you don’t get to define him, or anyone else for that matter. He does not have a pattern of behavior that indicates he is a sociopath. On the other hand, I hope you realize that your prejudgement can cause emotional distress for others as well when it is made public. Hopefully prejudgement isn’t a pattern of behavior for you and those in your life. If it has. been, I hope you feel some remorse from that pattern. If not, that would be unfortunate, and borderline sociopathic. I’ll let you be your own judge.

Aye aye, Captain!