Maurice Washington Faces Charges

I've always really liked Mo too.  My hope is that he can get whatever it is together and not squander the opportunity he's been given here at Nebraska and being an integral part of our offense.  

If were talking football easily one of our best weapons.  Loved watching him when he turned on the speed.  Took some great angles along with that speed too.  I hope this story doesn't end on a sad note.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

First, any "bad press" is coming from Iowa fans and it's almost out of artificial rivalry banter. The national media wont run with any story because we aren't relevant in any sense to make this into a big story, no matter what story comes of all this, if any. If there is a story, it's going to be written up by some Iowa person trying to throw shade at a program that they remember dominated the Midwest, and therefore, their program, for the last 50 years. 

With that, and making absolutely zero excuses for young adults making the bad decision after bad decision, I would venture to guess most of us typing here on this forum come from a rather decent upbringing and have carried that into our adult lives. Things have probably been pretty cookie cutter for the most part for all of us. Unfortunately there are people out there who are not as fortunate as many of us and haven't had it as easy as most of us have. Some of these players in college are not dealt the best of hands growing up and sometimes playing athletics is their opportunity to leave behind the difficulties they had growing up. Sometimes athletics and having a coach and teammates is the first structure in some of these young adults lives. Some of these players have had to grow up far faster than any child should, and grow up without having that structure and guidance.

Reading Coach Frost's comments about it, I am glad Frost has that approach. Some of these young men need sports, need coaches, need teammates. If coaches took a holier than thou approach and kicked a player off at the first wrong doing then they'd be doing that individual no favors. It did seem while Washington was on the team Frost did hold him accountable, and did try to teach him lessons, all awhile giving him all the tools, resources, and opportunities to change his behavior, and most importantly provided him structure and support to be there and help him grow as a person.

I don't agree with Washington's actions or behaviors, but I understand why Frost kept him around. Coaches have a far more important role in these players lives than just teaching them X's and O's, they have to teach them in their most critical times how to navigate through life, and in some cases how to teach them from being a young man to a man. A college coach wears many hats from being a coach, mentor, counselor, role model, etc. 

I agree with you, and I think Frost and his coaches are strong enough to run their locker room this way. I do think at this time, this staff has given Mo ample opportunity to succeed here and wouldn't fault them if they moved on. I think you need to prioritize the 149 other guys in the locker room, that are following the rules, that are showing up, that are putting in the work. It's almost not fair to them if you continue to give someone not invested the same opportunity as the kids that are invested. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

I love that Sports Nightly on 1400am wasted no time whatsoever in making this story about them.  We should have known this whole time because Mo didn't give interviews hehehheheheh.  I am so over media inserting themselves into everything.

Come the f#&% on my dudes.  Half the fan base is like "lEsS tAlK mOrE pLaY."

With that being said, I hope this is one less distraction in the locker room and Mo finds a way to return the faith Frost showed in him.  I have my doubts.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

The entire situation just is horrible. I liked Mo a lot. I wanted the 30 for 30 ending here.  I was hopeful that getting him into a stable and supportive environment would allow him to succeed in life and was so thankful when he finally made it to campus last year because I believed it would be the big break he needed to get his life completely turned around and on a path for great things. I defended him over and over the Cali charges because they are trumped up BS and I wanted him to be vindicated from all of that as well. On top of all of that, I love watching him play ball. I mean, who doesn't? When the kid is on, he is on. Would have loved to see what a college degree and a shot at the NFL would have done for him. Maybe we still get to see it, here, or honestly, anywhere, but 18 months in the program leading to this, I guess I feel I have to let the "what could be," dream die. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

You take chances on kids. Some work, some don't. Mills learned and has matured. Mo hasn't gotten to that point yet and idk if he will

Good point. Off topic but I have been impressed with Mills this year. He struggled at the start and could have gone Greg Bell on us but he just kept grinding and has only gotten better. I love his attitude.

• Plus1 2