Maurice Washington Faces Charges

15 hours ago, I am I said:

Deangelo Evans was the next great superstar 20 yrs ago. 

For reasons different than Washington he ended up of all places at Emporia State and I played against him my senior year. He was nothing special. He had lost weight, lost a step of speed, wasn’t really that tough, and you could tell he was just going through the motions; even on tape. 

If Washington doesn’t figure it out here, chances are he’ll get unmotivated, drop what muscle he does have, not be studying film, feel sorry for himself,  get worse friends, etc etc.  I hope he has a path back to the Huskers and I hope it’s a tough path. But don’t kid yourself, if he doesn’t make it here he isn’t making it anywhere. And I mean just finishing school and being productive in his 20s, let alone some kind of football star. 

I hope he he makes it back and proves what his ability has shown. 

Didn’t Evans have a season ending injury after a decent first season?

I got hurt my Freshman year in college.  After 8 months of rehab, I lost the love.

• Plus1 1

54 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I got hurt my Freshman year in college.  After 8 months of rehab, I lost the love.

Yeah Evans had osteitis pubis which forced him out of the entire 1997 season, and then he was kind of a jack a$$ in the 1998 season. He quit them team, wanted to come back, and the players voted to not allow him back. 

50 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah Evans had osteitis pubis which forced him out of the entire 1997 season, and then he was kind of a jack a$$ in the 1998 season. He quit them team, wanted to come back, and the players voted to not allow him back. 

Yeah, I can't remember everything that Evans said during that time period, but he was a whiny baby about it. Too bad because he was great in 1996. My Halloween costume that year (I believe it was 1999) was a #4 jersey with an adult size diaper.

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Yeah, I can't remember everything that Evans said during that time period, but he was a whiny baby about it. Too bad because he was great in 1996. My Halloween costume that year (I believe it was 1999) was a #4 jersey with an adult size diaper.

the bolded seemed to be a theme of that team.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

8 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

That’s a good possibility. I was the same way in high school with track. Was running my PR for the 800, blew out my hammy early in the year. After fighting to get back, tweaked it a couple weeks before Districts and I was just done. I probably could’ve made it back, but I didn’t have the desire anymore.

I’ve defended Washington plenty of times, and I haven’t seen anything that makes me think he’s a bad person. I think he’s just really immature for his age.

But this not having a father thing kind of annoys me every time I see it. He lost his dad 10 years ago. It sucks but how long can that be the excuse for messing up? Oh, and Adrian Martinez lost his mom at age 10. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I’ve defended Washington plenty of times, and I haven’t seen anything that makes me think he’s a bad person. I think he’s just really immature for his age.

But this not having a father thing kind of annoys me every time I see it. He lost his dad 10 years ago. It sucks but how long can that be the excuse for messing up? Oh, and Adrian Martinez lost his mom at age 10. 

Great post...agree 1000000000%

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I get what you are saying about using his dad’s passing as an excuse, but not every situation is the same. Without a father, Mo didn’t have someone who could keep him in check, and Mo found himself getting in trouble, and going to multiple schools in a couple states.  His mom probably couldn’t control him, and I don’t think there was a strong family support for Mo.

Meanwhile, Martinez‘s father kept the family together, remarried and had more kids with his new wife, so Adrian always had a strong family to support him.

I agree that Mo is very immature and I have called him a knucklehead. Kids react to parents passing differently, and a lot depends on the support around him. 

• Plus1 3
11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

So true, I just didn't want to be the one to say it.  Some of the best people I know lost parents at a young age.

• Plus1 1

Mo is not the devil, he just needs to decide if this is what he really wants to do and stick with it. Immature comes to mind, hardened criminal does not. He has a big opportunity here to get something out of college and he should take it before he finds himself out there struggling and talking like Uncle Rico about what could've been.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

So true, I just didn't want to be the one to say it.  Some of the best people I know lost parents at a young age.

Everyone who loses a parent early gets affected by that both mentally and emotionally. The environment and other adults can sometimes help with the damages, but the child at some point has to choose to find a reason to do better. Whether that is honoring the parent, proving something to everyone else around, choosing to become the lost parent for others, Jesus Christ, etc. 

if the child does not find it within to find that reason, it won’t be good for the child and everyone around. 

every child In that situation has to deal with that emotional/mental baggage somehow. It’s up to Maurice if he wants to. It’s still not too late, but he has to want to, even if he feels he can’t. 

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, thatguy said:

Everyone who loses a parent early gets affected by that both mentally and emotionally. The environment and other adults can sometimes help with the damages, but the child at some point has to choose to find a reason to do better. Whether that is honoring the parent, proving something to everyone else around, choosing to become the lost parent for others, Jesus Christ, etc. 

if the child does not find it within to find that reason, it won’t be good for the child and everyone around. 

every child In that situation has to deal with that emotional/mental baggage somehow. It’s up to Maurice if he wants to. It’s still not too late, but he has to want to, even if he feels he can’t. 

Well said.

Everyone reacts to trauma differently, alot of times to extremes in the case if losing a parent. It can send a person on a path of growth or it can send a person on a path of destruction. Obviously its best to grow but for whatever reason some people have a hard time helping themselves out of these sort of mental chains. I just hope Maurice can get the support he needs and can find peace in his life so he can go on and do good things with it.