Maurice Washington Faces Charges

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I'm always for people getting the opportunity to right wrongs of the past and better themselves.  Kudos to Scott for trying.  I think this also sends a strong message to current and future players that he won't give up on an individual easily.  I have a college age son who has made mistakes - not to this level but punishable none the less.  I think most college kids do, especially their first year there.  My son was given a second chance and is about to graduate near the top of his class.  I'm very grateful that he was given the opportunity to show that he could change for the better.  I genuinely hope MW does the same.        

My freshmen year of college was...

Academic probation

puking in my dorm room off some Mad Dog 20/20

Sneaking in beers/booze to my dorm

Drinking at my frat

Skipping classes

I think most of us can relate.

• Plus1 2

10 hours ago, teachercd said:

My freshmen year of college was...

Academic probation

puking in my dorm room off some Mad Dog 20/20

Sneaking in beers/booze to my dorm

Drinking at my frat

Skipping classes

I think most of us can relate.

Who hasn't puked in their dorm room thanks to the Mad Dog.  I'm certain it happened more than once with a couple of us.  That stuff was awful and I probably had 30 empty bottles stashed in my dorm closet, made many trips the end of the semester clinking bottles in a duffle to get rid of em.

If I was the coach, he'd have to plead, beg and promise the moon (and make me believe it) to get me to even consider letting him back on the team, especially after the class we just recruited. And yeah, I too did a lot of dumb things in college but it didn't hurt other people and I didn't have teammates depending on me. Any of these things on their own is not the deal breaker but rather that he should've already known before the last few issues that he was out of chances. I don't even care about the charges in California but to have that hanging over your head and then do the sh#t he did, well that is not a good teammate and not the type of guy I would want around my team. Frost will probably be a little more open minded than me, so maybe he'll get one final chance.

• Plus1 4
8 hours ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

Who hasn't puked in their dorm room thanks to the Mad Dog.  I'm certain it happened more than once with a couple of us.  That stuff was awful and I probably had 30 empty bottles stashed in my dorm closet, made many trips the end of the semester clinking bottles in a duffle to get rid of em.

Sneaking them in and out was half the fun!

12 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

If I was the coach, he'd have to plead, beg and promise the moon (and make me believe it) to get me to even consider letting him back on the team, especially after the class we just recruited. And yeah, I too did a lot of dumb things in college but it didn't hurt other people and I didn't have teammates depending on me. Any of these things on their own is not the deal breaker but rather that he should've already known before the last few issues that he was out of chances. I don't even care about the charges in California but to have that hanging over your head and then do the sh#t he did, well that is not a good teammate and not the type of guy I would want around my team. Frost will probably be a little more open minded than me, so maybe he'll get one final chance.

I’d RS him next yr with clear path to rejoin the following yr.  he’d have to stay clean, like I’d watch the kid pee in a cup.  Support his teammates by being scout team/good leader, attend all classes/good grades, make amends with the team, absolutely no legal trouble at all.  If he did all this for a yr and the team accepted him back fully, I’d let him know he’d have the opportunity to compete for time but that playing time would have to be earned not guaranteed.  His choice to walk or not and accept those terms

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Getting kids to understand the concept of Consequences is a constant and baffling venture. 

But when they point to adults of the highest order having the same issues and seemingly getting away with it, it kinda shuts you up. 

I really don't think it is more that they just don't think they will get caught.

Like, we all speed when we drive, we all know the consequences, but we still do it.  Why?

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Getting kids to understand the concept of Consequences is a constant and baffling venture. 

But when they point to adults of the highest order having the same issues and seemingly getting away with it, it kinda shuts you up. 

Yes, society is paying the price for the lack of proper parenting and the lack of our schools teaching that there are consequences for certain behaviors. It would seem almost impossible to reclaim a better way.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I really don't think it is more that they just don't think they will get caught.

Like, we all speed when we drive, we all know the consequences, but we still do it.  Why?

Because the cost is worth it. The extremely low chance and toll of a speeding ticket is worth the time savings. Now if we're talking about a college career and potential NFL career, well that should be a high enough cost to get somebody to fly right.

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Because the cost is worth it. The extremely low chance and toll of a speeding ticket is worth the time savings. Now if we're talking about a college career and potential NFL career, well that should be a high enough cost to get somebody to fly right.

Ha...Sounds like someone has a heavy foot!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4