Jump to content
PlzCoolerMe

Maurice Washington Faces Charges

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

 

So we had to process this situation for 4 pages, but now we are coming around to some reasonable thoughts about this case.

 

Awful situation and stupid decisions? Yes.

An actual criminal disposition? No.

Mo's future? Uncertain.

Huskerboard? In a frenzy.

Hedley? Just had a delicious bowl of chili with all the fixins. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Statement from NU AD:

“Last fall we were contacted by the Nebraska Attorney General’s office and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln police department and made aware that officials in California were interested in interviewing Maurice Washington about a prior incident. Details were not shared and there was no additional follow up with the Nebraska Athletic Department. Recently, we were made aware that charges may be filed against Maurice in California. We have not had a chance to review the charges, and will continue to monitor this ongoing legal process.”

  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

One scenario I can think of here:

 

Mo dated said girl in the video. The video he has is what prompted them to break up and he kept it (for whatever reason). Maybe when videoed originally it was consensual, after it started being distributed the girl changed her mind that it wasn't. I dont know, but it happens all the time. She reaches out to him a couple years later because now she sees his success at NU. He's still heartbroke over the ordeal and responds with the video, essentially sticking it in her face. She then decides to turn him into police for revenge porn/child porn etc. as a get back at ya moment.

 

This scenario sounds more realistic to me. Doesnt make it much better. He's gonna have to learn he's in a pretty high profile place and people are gonna come at you. Need to learn some situation awareness. Could have just responded with a "wrong number" and left it at that. But now he has a serious problem on his hand.

Sounds realistic to me. I’m assuming sexual assault is same as rape and there would be some kind of indication in the video that it wasn’t consensual. It seems odd that they would make a rape video and share it and police didn’t pursue it.

 

I doubt Mo is into kiddy porn so being charged with child pornography seems excessive when there are truly sick people out there that should be locked up. I don’t think this was revenge porn either. Mo is guilty of lashing out and should have ignored her. I’m more concerned if this is normal behavior for him or just toward this particular girl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ziebol said:

Statement from NU AD:

“Last fall we were contacted by the Nebraska Attorney General’s office and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln police department and made aware that officials in California were interested in interviewing Maurice Washington about a prior incident. Details were not shared and there was no additional follow up with the Nebraska Athletic Department. Recently, we were made aware that charges may be filed against Maurice in California. We have not had a chance to review the charges, and will continue to monitor this ongoing legal process.”

And there we go....for everyone clamoring for why Mo was allowed to play all season. Lets learn from this shall we.

  • Plus1 1
  • Eyeroll 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Toe said:

As far as Washington goes, the matter of whether or not this was sexual assault or something consensual is probably irrelevant.

 

I was replying to @RedDenver who kept referring to the video as showing sexual assault.  That definition is important, and the distinction needed to be made.

 

Context matters. Don't just pull that quote out of a vacuum and respond to it.

 

 

 

8 minutes ago, Ulty said:

 

So we had to process this situation for 4 pages, but now we are coming around to some reasonable thoughts about this case.

 

Awful situation and stupid decisions? Yes.

An actual criminal disposition? No.

Mo's future? Uncertain.

Huskerboard? In a frenzy.

 

 

Hey, I've been posting in this thread since page one!

  • Plus1 1
  • Eyeroll 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems kinda silly to bring up distribution of child porn charges. Especially since he just sent it to her- she was involved in the video. If they had evidence that he sent it to other people outside of her then I could see that. Someone sent it to him at some point right? So how did he originally get in possession of the video? Whoever sent it to him should be charged too? 

 

They said the 2 kids in the video with her just got charged with revenge porn and got slapped on the wrist.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

It seems kinda silly to bring up distribution of child porn charges. Especially since he just sent it to her- she was involved in the video. If they had evidence that he sent it to other people outside of her then I could see that. Someone sent it to him at some point right? So how did he originally get in possession of the video? Whoever sent it to him should be charged too? 

 

They said the 2 kids in the video with her just got charged with revenge porn and got slapped on the wrist.

I don't think the law cares to whom you send child porn. 

  • Plus1 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

 

Hey, I've been posting in this thread since page one!

 

It was more of a collective "we" who needed to process this. The initial angst from the first couple pages has simmered down. Thanks for helping to shepherd us through the madness. But now this thread is going to be rather boring until more new info comes out.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

And there we go....for everyone clamoring for why Mo was allowed to play all season. Lets learn from this shall we.

 

I don't know.  There have been many instances where the coach or athletic department has tried to feign ignorance about players that have done unsavory things only to have it come back and bite them.

 

I'm thinking maybe UNL should have looked into it once contact was made.  If they had, things might look different today. 

  • Plus1 3
  • Eyeroll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

 

I don't know.  There have been many instances where the coach or athletic department has tried to feign ignorance about players that have done unsavory things only to have it come back and bite them.

 

I'm thinking maybe UNL should have looked into it once contact was made.  If they had, things might look different today. 

 

You really are assuming a lot in your attempt to paint a lot of people with a very bad brush stroke.

  • Plus1 5
  • Eyeroll 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

 

You really are assuming a lot in your attempt to paint a lot of people with a very bad brush stroke.

 

What did I assume?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

 

What did I assume?

Assume he's guilty.

Assume the program didn't look into anything.

Assume Frost doesn't care about character.  

Assume the program is somehow in moral decay.

 

Or....I guess you are saying all this in jest.

  • Plus1 8
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Assume he's guilty.

Assume the program didn't look into anything.

Assume Frost doesn't care about character.  

Assume the program is somehow in moral decay.

 

Or....I guess you are saying all this in jest.

He is "guilty" of sending the girl the video.  Guilt legally will sort itself out later

 

The program clearly didn't follow up with officials in California.  

 

I'm not convinced Frost does care about character at this point.  But it doesn't really matter, does it?

 

The program is in no more moral decay than any other program.

  • Eyeroll 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

He is "guilty" of sending the girl the video.  Guilt legally will sort itself out later (assume)

 

The program clearly didn't follow up with officials in California.  (assume)

 

I'm not convinced Frost does care about character at this point.  But it doesn't really matter, does it? (assume)

 

The program is in no more moral decay than any other program. :facepalm:

 

 

You really are trying hard with this.

  • Plus1 5
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'm not convinced Frost does care about character at this point.

 

It's possible Frost knows a lot more about the character and circumstances of the guys on his team than we do from five, fifty or five hundred miles away.

  • Plus1 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

 

 

You really are trying hard with this.

 

 

I'm not the only one that thought the statement was weird.

  • Plus1 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, knapplc said:

 

It's possible Frost knows a lot more about the character and circumstances of the guys on his team than we do from five, fifty or five hundred miles away.

I'm sure he does know about the character of his guys.  I'm not sure he cares as much as people say he does.

  • Plus1 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'm thinking maybe UNL should have looked into it once contact was made.  If they had, things might look different today. 

Maybe they did. Maybe the state of California didn't have enough information to share yet so they said something along the lines of 'we'll contact you.' It's dangerous to speculate about these kinds of things when there's so little information being made public. 

 

If UNL's statement is true, then they did everything they're legally obligated to do. Innocent until proven guilty.

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

Maybe they did. Maybe the state of California didn't have enough information to share yet so they said something along the lines of 'we'll contact you.' It's dangerous to speculate about these kinds of things when there's so little information being made public. 

 

If UNL's statement is true, then they did everything they're legally obligated to do. Innocent until proven guilty.

 

See the tweet I posted above.  No mention of conducting its own investigation, interviews, etc.  

 

It seems strange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

 

 

 

 

I'm not the only one that thought the statement was weird.

Oh goodie.....you found a few others trying really hard on this thought process.

  • Plus1 2
  • Eyeroll 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The age of consent in California is 18.  

By definition, any sexual contact with this girl (if she was 15 at the time) is a sexual assault.

If MO sent this video back to the girl, he basically "slut-shamed" a victim of sexual assault. 

If this is what happened, I cannot imagine him remaining on the team and  if this is what happened, and he remains on the team,  I cannot imagine remaining a fan of Nebraska Football.

  • Plus1 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

See the tweet I posted above.  No mention of conducting its own investigation, interviews, etc.  

 

It seems strange

It's a skeleton statement. These are often released in the immediacy of a situation to say "we're aware." It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it could mean something. Saying it's odd or strange is equally odd and strange to me. I don't think there's enough there to take anything away from it at all.

 

Plus, UNL has to be smart. Anything said in a public statement can come back to bite them in the a$$. The last thing they or any entity would want to do is say the wrong thing in a rush.

  • Plus1 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

 

See the tweet I posted above.  No mention of conducting its own investigation, interviews, etc.  

 

It seems strange

 

 

They're not dealing with an accusation by a victim. They're dealing with law enforcement. If the accuser contacted them, it would be a different story.

  • Eyeroll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be so sure the athletic department, and/or Frost come away unscathed here. It's going to be really interesting.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

I wouldn't be so sure the athletic department, and/or Frost come away unscathed here. It's going to be really interesting.

 

 

No one's sure of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

but we dont know if he kept it on his phone or if he recently received it. 

he sent it, didn't he?  that's the whole point. he is guilty of distribution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

If MO sent this video back to the girl, he basically "slut-shamed" a victim of sexual assault.

 

 

If he knew it was sexual assault.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It's a skeleton statement. These are often released in the immediacy of a situation to say "we're aware." It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it could mean something. Saying it's odd or strange is equally odd and strange to me. I don't think there's enough there to take anything away from it at all.

 

Plus, UNL has to be smart. Anything said in a public statement can come back to bite them in the a$$. The last thing they or any entity would want to do is say the wrong thing in a rush.

i am sure everyone involved is going to lawyer up, this program sure does not need a black eye!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

On Sunday, Washington's attorney, John C. Ball, issued this statement:

“This is a situation involving an inappropriate cell phone video. The allegations are that Mr. Washington sent that video to his high school girlfriend. Mr. Washington did not make the video, nor does he appear in the video. The incident is alleged to have taken place in California, several years ago. Mr. Washington will continue to be fully cooperative with the authorities in this situation. We are in contact with those authorities, and are in the process of making arrangements to move forward and resolve this matter. Mr. Washington has confidence in our justice system, and knows that he can rely on the fundamental constitutional rights of due process and the presumption of innocence.”

 

 

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/University-of-Nebraska-Football-Player-Maurice-Washington-Faces-Revenge-Porn-Child-Porn-Charges-Over-Video-of-Bay-Area-Teen-505666711.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a good thing athletic departments, unlike message boards, aren't run on hysterics. 

 

This thread has been crazy. Some people here really need to take a breath.

  • Plus1 6
  • Eyeroll 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

If he knew it was sexual assault.

Correct, but if it was his former girlfriend, I assume he knew she was only 15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

he sent it, didn't he?  that's the whole point. he is guilty of distribution.

NOT IF HE DIDNT KNOW SHE WAS 15 IN THE VIDEO he also didnt send it to the world. All we know is SOMEONE sent the girl the video of her having a threesome from several years ago 

  • Eyeroll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dbqgolfer said:

Correct, but if it was his former girlfriend, I assume he knew she was only 15.

how is he suppose to know she is 15 in the video? Maybe he received the video shortly before he sent it to her? We dont know squat yet as I have said over and over again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From The World-Herald's report. I was trying to figure out what California does in terms of punishment for these types of cases. Still trying to track it all down but this is what happened to one person connected to it all:

 

Quote

One boy connected with the assault was given probation for distribution of child pornography after he sent a recording of the video to classmates, according to NBC Bay Area. He was not charged with sexual assault at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Enhance said:

So, interesting note from The World-Herald's report. I was trying to figure out what California does in terms of punishment for these types of cases. Still trying to track it all down but this is what happened to one person connected to it all:

 

 

 

I dont think that is the charge that would stick. the "revenge porn" seems more likely to stick if either does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

NOT IF HE DIDNT KNOW SHE WAS 15 IN THE VIDEO he also didnt send it to the world. All we know is SOMEONE sent the girl the video of her having a threesome from several years ago 

The video was taken in 2016 and he, along with several other people, received it in 2016.  I don't think there is a gray area in him knowing how old she was.

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StPaulHusker said:

The video was taken in 2016 and he, along with several other people, received it in 2016.  I don't think there is a gray area in him knowing how old she was.

 

He's reaching a bit, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to leave this thread before I read any more ludicrous comments on how Frost doesn't care about the character of his players yet he turned away a possible all B10 transfer this winter due to a former sexual assault....

  • Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eyeroll 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

NOT IF HE DIDNT KNOW SHE WAS 15 IN THE VIDEO he also didnt send it to the world. All we know is SOMEONE sent the girl the video of her having a threesome from several years ago 

 

 

He dated her... I'm pretty sure he know how old she was when this tape was distributed to the school.

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

 

He's reaching a bit, no?

do you know he received it in 2016 or are you just assuming he kept the video on his phone for years only to randomly send it back to her years later? 

  • Eyeroll 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hedley Lamarr said:

do you know he received it in 2016 or are you just assuming he kept the video on his phone for years only to randomly send it back to her years later? 

 

I think it's safe to say he knew how old she was in the video, and that if it was sent from his phone, it was likely him who sent it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

do you know he received it in 2016 or are you just assuming he kept the video on his phone for years only to randomly send it back to her years later? 

According to a Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Department search warrant obtained by NBC Bay Area, school administrators at The King’s Academy soon learned of the video and told anyone who had a copy of the video to delete it. Taylor said she and the two classmates in the video were forced to leave the school. Washington, according to the search warrant, still had a copy of the video.

 

Is that close enough for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

He dated her... I'm pretty sure he know how old she was when this tape was distributed to the school.

He stopped attending their school in Feb 2016 and the video took place in 2016. We really dont know anything other than what the article says which tells us very little as it pertains to what actually happened. 

 

I read the article again and it appears he sent it to her because she reached out to him when she found out he was going D-1. Maybe he viewed it as a "hey you made it whats up how have you been?" and he took it as her being thirsty so he felt it would be the way to "tell her off" ?? 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

According to a Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Department search warrant obtained by NBC Bay Area, school administrators at The King’s Academy soon learned of the video and told anyone who had a copy of the video to delete it. Taylor said she and the two classmates in the video were forced to leave the school. Washington, according to the search warrant, still had a copy of the video.

 

Is that close enough for you?

when did the search warrant take place? I must have missed a paragraph in the article 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hedley Lamarr said:

it appears he sent it to her because she reached out to him when she found out he was going D-1. Maybe he viewed it as a "hey you made it whats up how have you been?" and he took it as her being thirsty so he felt it would be the way to "tell her off" ?? 

 

That's what it sounds like. And that sounds like a very kid-like thing to do.

 

It's just that, under this relatively new law, it's a crime.

  • Plus1 1
  • Eyeroll 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's a good thing athletic departments, unlike message boards, aren't run on hysterics. 

 

This thread has been crazy. Some people here really need to take a breath.

 

You do realize that the Athletic Department just issued a statement about the athletic director based on the hysterics of a message board?  

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×