Official French Fry Power Rankings

My thoughts:

• I love McDonald's fries.  Very tough to beat
  • For the few times I've had Chick-filA, I don't know why they're so low.  Solid if not great
  • Wendy's fries are made exponentially better by getting a Frosty and using the fries as a "spoon"
  • I haven't eaten at many fast food places

I have some issues with these rankings. I find McDonalds fries to be very bland and would put them way to the left for taste. I haven't had many of these listed but Arby's curly fries are far and away my favorite with the best flavor and a good crispy texture. I also rank Burger King fries rather highly because they usually have a good amount of crispiness (although it can be inconsistent), and they have a good potatoey taste.

I've only been to Five Guys twice ever and the fries were kind of mushy and over-seasoned. I agree Wendy's is good for dipping in a Frosty, but their texture is very inconsistent. 

Yeah it's hard to argue with fresh, hot fries from McD's not being #1 although I'd argue the Arby's 'traditional' fries they had for a while were top notch.  I wish they'd bring those back since they were awesome.  I've probably eaten 5 Guys 10 times in my life and I swear the fries get worse every time I eat them.  DQ also has sneaky good fries (and sneaky not awful food by regular food standards not just fast food--I like their chicken strips more than all the major chains).

Locally, I think we can all agree that Runza's fries are the clear winner but you could maybe convince me on Don & Millie's fries on a blue moon.

• Plus1 1

Five Guys cajun fries taste great, but the texture is the worst in the business. I have no idea why they use peanut oil - the whole point of frying in peanut oil is that you can get it extra hot without it smoking, so you can get things nice and crispy. But their fries are the exact opposite of crispy!

Last time I had Wendy's fries, they were about the weirdest fries I've ever eaten. It was like they were a crispy shell and hollow on the inside.

And I've never had crinkle-cut fries that weren't a disappointment to potatoes. It seems like the extra surface area should be good for texture, but damn every time, the taste is as bland as can be.

Seems they got the chart pretty much correct. Mickey D’s are definitely the best and Del Taco and Five Guys are very good as well. Personally I prefer Freddie’s to Steak & Shake but they’re about the same and both go south very quickly when they cool off. I may be in the minority though, I generally like my fries slightly undercooked and rubbery. Don’t like them crispy. Locally, South Philly has really good fries. Del Taco, Culver’s and Runza all have excellent crinklecut fries. Burger King fries suck.