Official French Fry Power Rankings

I would also suggest that Jack in the Box be moved down the ranking and Rallys be moved up. I would also have five guys move down slightly as they do not have better taste than McDonalds. Basically move McDs to the level of taste that five guys is at and move five guys back in taste. Not a terrible list though 

18 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

There's few things better than fresh, hot McDonald's fries. Heck, they're still better than most fries if they've been sitting out on the counter for an hour.

Fun fact:

I read once you can always get yourself fresh McD fries by requesting them with no salt. Since they salt the regular fries, they have to cook up a fresh batch.

(You can then add your own salt.)

2 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Fun fact:

I read once you can always get yourself fresh McD fries by requesting them with no salt. Since they salt the regular fries, they have to cook up a fresh batch.

(You can then add your own salt.)

My dad used to do that with their burgers back in the day.  They used to pre-make all the burgers and have them in a warming storage tray (instead of all the pieces pre-made and assemble it when you order).  He'd order a hamburger/cheeseburger with some special change - no mustard or some such thing - so he'd get a fresh-made one instead of one that had been in the warmer for who knows how long.

I actually agree with that diagram for the most part.

In-N-Out isn't that bad, but when they get cold, they are basically inedible, so yeah, low on the list.

And Runza's are great. I'd have them in the top three.

BK's are better than they were a few years ago, but still the inferior of the big three chains. Seems like they change theirs the most of anybody. Back in the 80s theirs used to be really good, but then they started tinkering with them, and they've never been as good since.

Chick Fil A should also be a bit higher. Better than BK and Wendys.

I also have a personal bias against any seasoned type.

Best fries are not at any of those.

South of Midway Airport, there is a hole in the wall place in a small strip mall on Cicero that sells fantastic italian beef sandwiches.  They have amazing fries.

South of Mystic Connecticut there's a small place right on the water that serves the most amazing lobster rolls.  Sprinkle their fries with a little vinegar and sea salt and......mmmmm......

McDonald's fries are very solid top 5 type.  Just a great go to fry.  

Runza has the best crinkle fries.

Didn't see this listed, smash burger makes a great rosemary garlic fry.  They have a smash burger in the Boise airport and I get a bag of those fries before I get on a plane.  The burgers aren't anything special.  

In and Out fries are actually fresh.  They actually cut them up and then cook them.  I think they are fine, but nothing special. 

On 2/14/2019 at 8:38 PM, huKSer said:

I do like steak fries - almost like mini baked potatoes

To me, that's their problem. It tries to be both a french fry and a baked potato, and doesn't do a good job of being either one. Ends up being a mouthful of mush. Though now that I think about it, I wonder how they'd be with gravy instead of ketchup...

Which brings me to another of my rules: ketchup is only really necessary as a cover for crappy french fries. Truly great french fries don't need anything more than a little salt.

• 3 weeks later...