What if Nebraska went the Notre Dame route...

On 2/13/2019 at 4:59 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm okay culturally all the way to Ohio. Gets a little iffy in Pennsylvania. Then the Big10 loses me in Maryland and Rutgers. 

Culturally, we have the most in common with the plains states. Can you imagine if Nebraska teamed with Kansas and The Dakota's to form our own football powerhouse?

Hey  -  I graduated from SDSU  so many years ago.  They were in the North Central Conference wt USD,  NDSU, UND, etc.  We were the Division 2 equivalent to the Big 8 conference - tough in football and tough in wrestling and ok in basketball.    With that said, I think there is a bit more prestige being aliened with our Big 10 brothers than wt Kansas and the Dakotas.

Like you I do have a hard time relating to Maryland and Rutgers being in the same conference.  I know they are in the conference for TV sets only - I think they add absolutely nothing to the conference otherwise. 

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Hey  -  I graduated from SDSU  so many years ago.  They were in the North Central Conference wt USD,  NDSU, UND, etc.  We were the Division 2 equivalent to the Big 8 conference - tough in football and tough in wrestling and ok in basketball.    With that said, I think there is a bit more prestige being aliened with our Big 10 brothers than wt Kansas and the Dakotas.

Like you I do have a hard time relating to Maryland and Rutgers being in the same conference.  I know they are in the conference for TV sets only - I think they add absolutely nothing to the conference otherwise. 

I was kidding about the Plains Conference, although I think the recent Husker teams would have had their hands full with North Dakota State. Come to think of it, they had their hands full with South Dakota State back in 2010, with a healthy Taylor Martinez and Carl Pelini defense. 

24 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I was kidding about the Plains Conference, although I think the recent Husker teams would have had their hands full with North Dakota State. Come to think of it, they had their hands full with South Dakota State back in 2010, with a healthy Taylor Martinez and Carl Pelini defense. 

yes I know you were kidding.  The past few years haven't bode well in regards to our competitiveness vs others in the Plains Conference.

Yes, the 2010 game - I watched that wt very mixed emotions.  I wanted NU to win but I was proud of my Jacks doing so well. 

I'm thankful Nebraska is in the Big Ten.  The future looks to me moneywise that the best place to be is in the Big Ten or the SEC.  The money is going to significantly outpace what the Big XII and Pac-12 can do and it remains to be seen whether the ACC network is viable.  That's huge for facilities, paying coaches, and recruiting.  We have already seen signs of weakened recruiting for the Big XII and Pac-12.  I'm also very thankful for Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne. If it wasn't for their success, especially T.O. because of recency, Nebraska could easily be hoping the Big XII survives, otherwise they are staring at the Mountain West for an invitation.  I also think Mizzou would trade places with the 'Huskers in a heartbeat.  Academics, stability, leadership, prestigious universities are all great things about the Big Ten.  Sure, it stinks that there are less schools for the average fan to drive to and baseball will likely never count again on the national stage.  However, the positives far outweight the negatives and truth be told I don't really care about the Big XII anyway, the Big 8 was tradition and what mattered, not the Big XII.  The Texas schools don't mean a hill of beans to me and Nebraska could not survive as an Independent.  Notre Dame has a following of Catholics around the world.  Look at Notre Dame's endowment compared to Nebraska's as another example where they don't compare.

• Plus1 1

I have read before that Notre Dame has made like over 100 million since inking their deal with NBC back in 1991.  They actually have a pretty good set up financially being independent.  They still play 4 or 5 ACC teams every year even though they're not a member of the conference yet they don't have to split any bowl money payouts with the other schools in the conference or anyone for that matter.  It all goes to them.  Also having every single game televised by NBC since 91 has given the university constant exposure which from what I read had led to an increase in enrollment besides giving them not just national exposure but global exposure.   In addition they also get money from the ACC/ESPN TV package deal they're involved in.  They're set up actually is pretty good for not being associated with a P5 conference from both a financial as well as overall exposure standpoint.  

I like the Huskers in the B1G and honestly I don't feel like we have accomplished what every fan has wanted ever since we joined and that is to compete for conference championships.  Getting out of the Big 12 was the best move the university could have made financially, academically and of course athletically.  I'm very happy we're in the B1G and it's definitely better overall for Nebraska.  

• Fire 1
15 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I have read before that Notre Dame has made like over 100 million since inking their deal with NBC back in 1991.  They actually have a pretty good set up financially being independent.  They still play 4 or 5 ACC teams every year even though they're not a member of the conference yet they don't have to split any bowl money payouts with the other schools in the conference or anyone for that matter.  It all goes to them.  Also having every single game televised by NBC since 91 has given the university constant exposure which from what I read had led to an increase in enrollment besides giving them not just national exposure but global exposure.   In addition they also get money from the ACC/ESPN TV package deal they're involved in.  They're set up actually is pretty good for not being associated with a P5 conference from both a financial as well as overall exposure standpoint.  

I like the Huskers in the B1G and honestly I don't feel like we have accomplished what every fan has wanted ever since we joined and that is to compete for conference championships.  Getting out of the Big 12 was the best move the university could have made financially, academically and of course athletically.  I'm very happy we're in the B1G and it's definitely better overall for Nebraska.  

To further agree with you, the bolded is less than 2 years in the B1G. 

Do you want to destroy the program? Because this is how you destroy the program. Outside of Husker fans, our national brand has never been lower. If you follow recruiting, the kids talk about how the staff has educated them to our past glory. There is nothing compelling about current day Nebraska that would be able to financially replace anything close to the Big 10 money.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 2/13/2019 at 1:11 PM, AlaskaNebraskan said:

And moved the football program to independent status? More pros or cons? Being able to schedule more top notch games and renew rivalrys every year would help ticket revenue. Better tv contracts? Would NBC dump the fighting drunks for the Huskers? 

We don't have the clout to do it.  It would result in us probably never making the playoff, and losing national respect.  If Texas ever leaves the Big 12  It might make sense to go back there.

8 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

We don't have the clout to do it.  It would result in us probably never making the playoff, and losing national respect.  If Texas ever leaves the Big 12  It might make sense to go back there.

Texas is *maybe* the only program that could do it today and have the same amount of financial success as Notre Dame.