What if Nebraska went the Notre Dame route...

On 2/18/2019 at 8:10 AM, Cdog923 said:

Texas is *maybe* the only program that could do it today and have the same amount of financial success as Notre Dame. 

I dont think Notre Dame could even do it today. They do have a rather unique national hook, but every generation has gotten less and less religious. The difference in Notre Dame on the field since 1991 has obviously also changed. Probably the biggest issue, however, is Notre Dame in 1991 was available, being an independent. Their success on NBC could be seen as a significant catalyst that started conferences consolidating power to increase television bargaining strength.

A lot of these current contracts end around the same time, which fuels a lot of realignment talk.  One big media shakeup that could have repercussions down the line is the very one sided CBS deal with the SEC. The SEC is not happy about it in general, but particularly unhappy that CBS wouldn’t re-negotiate when Texas A&M was added. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 5:59 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm okay culturally all the way to Ohio. Gets a little iffy in Pennsylvania. Then the Big10 loses me in Maryland and Rutgers. 

Culturally, we have the most in common with the plains states. Can you imagine if Nebraska teamed with Kansas and The Dakota's to form our own football powerhouse?

Guy, I get what you're saying, but look at the last sentence in your post... when have the Dakotas or Kansas been football powerhouses? Minus NDSU no Kansas or Dakota school would EVER be considered a powerhouse. I agree Rutgers and Maryland are head scratchers, but look at those markets (NYC, Baltimore, DC) and tell me they don't add some $$$. I think having them in the conference for other sports is good.