** 2019 Opponent Previews : Northern Illinois (Game 3) **

Saunders

1 hour ago, NUinID said:

Looking at what Utah did vs. NIU is not necessarily a good indicator of what the outcome will be.  Utah if you ever watch them plays stingy defense and is fairly average on offense.  Nebraska has the potential to be a little more dynamic on offense than Utah does.  

Utah is currently ranked #11 and is considered the best team in the conference Colorado belongs to. 

NIU played them tough. They could well be a better team than Colorado.

We had a week to lick our wounds and look for strategies to exploit. That counts for something. But this game was never a gimme.

At this point, is any game a gimme?

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Utah is currently ranked #11 and is considered the best team in the conference Colorado belongs to. 

NIU played them tough. They could well be a better team than Colorado.

We had a week to lick our wounds and look for strategies to exploit. That counts for something. But this game was never a gimme.

At this point, is any game a gimme?

Never said the game was a gimme.  I said Nebraska has the potential to have a better looking offense than Utah has.  Wittingham is a defensive coach.  Offensively Utah is traditionally very ball control. They want to pound the rock.  They usually don't have great passing QB's.   I was not surprised at all at how the game was close at halftime and Utah pulled away in the second half.  

No I think NIU is a quality MAC team.  Have thought so for years.  NU needs to show up and play decent to win. If they play well though their is no reason they can't win by 17-21 pts. There are very few gimmes left in college football.  

As far as the PAC 12 goes, it is a conference of teams beating up on each other.  Outside of Oregon St lately none of the other teams are gimmes in conference.  You got to watch some of the late games the PAC beats up on each other.  You watch Utah will drop one to someone in conference that you don't think should happen.  Cal just beat Washington last weekend on a late FG.  Cal had no business on paper winning that game. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, NUinID said:

Never said the game was a gimme.  I said Nebraska has the potential to have a better looking offense than Utah has.  Wittingham is a defensive coach.  Offensively Utah is traditionally very ball control. They want to pound the rock.  They usually don't have great passing QB's.   I was not surprised at all at how the game was close at halftime and Utah pulled away in the second half.  

No I think NIU is a quality MAC team.  Have thought so for years.  NU needs to show up and play decent to win. If they play well though their is no reason they can't win by 17-21 pts. There are very few gimmes left in college football.  

As far as the PAC 12 goes, it is a conference of teams beating up on each other.  Outside of Oregon St lately none of the other teams are gimmes in conference.  You got to watch some of the late games the PAC beats up on each other.  You watch Utah will drop one to someone in conference that you don't think should happen.  Cal just beat Washington last weekend on a late FG.  Cal had no business on paper winning that game. 

Yeah, I live on the West Coast so I hear a lot of the Pac 12 chatter. Used to be that west coasters thought the Pac 12 didn't get enough respect because the East Coast media didn't stay awake to watch their games. Last couple years the local chatter is that the Pac 12 is the weakest of the P5 conferences, and typically looks out-classed in the marquee games against other conferences.

I think Utah is an interesting case because it's a cold weather campus in a low population state  that's hard to recruit to, but they made a commitment to hard-nosed college football and now find themselves better positioned than USC or UCLA.

Meanwhile, Arizona and Arizona State have just dropped off the college football map, struggling against non-con patsies.