Omaha In The Major Leagues?

For a sweet few years in the 1970s, Omaha had a major league franchise. Well, part of one.

The NBA (now Sacramento) Kings franchise played some home games in Omaha, with most of the home games played in Kansas City. But for that time, Omaha was in the major leagues and seeing top NBA stars in town.

Omaha has had a series of minor league pro franchises in all four major sports. Some were somewhat successful and others were not.

Hockey has been popular. But that hasn’t been a sure thing for every franchise. Omaha was a top affiliate of a NHL team not long ago. But after a couple seasons of poor support, they left town.

Omaha will likely always have a baseball and hockey presence in town. Pro basketball and some version of pro football look to be harder to survive.

Omaha won’t have a major league franchise in the four major sports anytime soon. A smaller population size and having proximity to Kansas City and the Twin Cities are two reasons.

The Cornhuskers are so popular that pro teams have a hard time finding their place. But the Huskers belong to the State... and Husker Nation. Will a day ever come when Omaha really has a major league team of its very own? What does Omaha want in its sports future?

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I have have zero doubt that Omaha could, and would support an NBA franchise. Probably as well as any city in the country.

There was talk a few years ago (or maybe even just last year) that Omaha was on the short list for the NBA if they expand and add a new Seattle franchise.   If they did, i would look into getting season tickets.

1 hour ago, Roundball Shaman said:

Omaha won’t have a major league franchise in the four major sports anytime soon. A smaller population size and having proximity to Kansas City and the Twin Cities are two reasons.

The Cornhuskers are so popular that pro teams have a hard time finding their place. But the Huskers belong to the State... and Husker Nation. Will a day ever come when Omaha really has a major league team of its very own? What does Omaha want in its sports future?

I see the bolded part as a positive for Omaha having a major league franchise. Imagine all the people that travel to KC, Minneapolis, Denver and Chicago to see their team play or are fans of teams in those cities. I could easily see a large majority of people taking to and supporting a pro team here. 

I think an NBA would be the most successful franchise. You have 2 teams in this state that have had moderate to above average success that are in the top 10 in the nation for attendance. Might there be some lesser attended games when the bad teams come to town? Yes, but imagine ticket prices and the downtown area for when the big name teams and players show up to Omaha. I for one would be all in on this deal. 

1 hour ago, wiuhusker said:

I see the bolded part as a positive for Omaha having a major league franchise. Imagine all the people that travel to KC, Minneapolis, Denver and Chicago to see their team play or are fans of teams in those cities. I could easily see a large majority of people taking to and supporting a pro team here. 

I think an NBA would be the most successful franchise. You have 2 teams in this state that have had moderate to above average success that are in the top 10 in the nation for attendance. Might there be some lesser attended games when the bad teams come to town? Yes, but imagine ticket prices and the downtown area for when the big name teams and players show up to Omaha. I for one would be all in on this deal. 

it's also why Milwaukee will never be able to have any pro teams, it's too close to Chicago, Detroit, The Twin Cities.   

2 hours ago, sho said:

it's also why Milwaukee will never be able to have any pro teams, it's too close to Chicago, Detroit, The Twin Cities.   

You mean like the Milwaukee NBA team that currently has the best record in their conference or the Milwaukee MLB team that won their division and was a game from the World Series? They also do a pretty damn good job supporting the Packers every year. 

Also Milwaukee is a 90 minute drive from the 3rd largest TV market in the U.S. 

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, wiuhusker said:

You mean like the Milwaukee NBA team that currently has the best record in their conference or the Milwaukee MLB team that won their division and was a game from the World Series? They also do a pretty damn good job supporting the Packers every year. 

Also Milwaukee is a 90 minute drive from the 3rd largest TV market in the U.S. 

I was joking about @Roundball Shaman's earlier somment where Omaha couldn't get a team because we were too close to KC, and the Twin Cities.   Saying if Milwaukee could, Omaha easily could too.