Trump's Fake Wall Emergency

Trump is stating his intent to declare an "emergency" so he can force American taxpayers to pay for his racist money pit. 

Remember, if you're in favor of this stunt by Trump, you're saying you'd have been OK with any other president bypassing congress to get their pet project done. For example, if Obama had just declared a national emergency and funded Obamacare rather than vet it through months of congressional discussion. 

The powers you allow those in office today will be used by people you oppose tomorrow. 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1

Aside from all of the other stupid $h!t Trump has said and done, I hope that this is what finally leads to a reckoning of some sort with Congress and the Courts. 

The Constitution quite explicitly sets up the separation of powers and checks & balances so a President, or anyone else, can't simply do whatever the hell they want. Up until now, many on the right have simply ignored their moral, ethical, and professional obligations to stand up to this a$$. Now, they will have a Constitutional obligation to get in the way. 

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Trump is stating his intent to declare an "emergency" so he can force American taxpayers to pay for his racist money pit. 

Remember, if you're in favor of this stunt by Trump, you're saying you'd have been OK with any other president bypassing congress to get their pet project done. For example, if Obama had just declared a national emergency and funded Obamacare rather than vet it through months of congressional discussion. 

The powers you allow those in office today will be used by people you oppose tomorrow. 

Regarding the Bold:  Former GOP Chairman, Michael Steele agrees. He says the GOP will rue the day they allowed this to happen.

Rubio says the same thing:

https://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Press-Releases&id=DF492447-444A-4F9E-B7AC-F26870C9CE08

Washington, D.C.— U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) issued the following statement after voting against the 2019 omnibus spending bill and on the possibility of a national emergency declaration:

“Three weeks ago, Senate Republicans voted overwhelmingly to help Florida communities devastated by Hurricane Michael,” Rubio said. “But now congressional negotiators failed to include disaster funding in this package so they can use it as leverage in an upcoming effort to lift spending caps. I will not support using devastated communities in Florida as pawns for some future legislative deal.”

“We have a crisis at our southern border, but no crisis justifies violating the Constitution,” Rubio continued. “Today’s national emergency is border security. But a future president may use this exact same tactic to impose the Green New Deal. I will wait to see what statutory or constitutional power the President relies on to justify such a declaration before making any definitive statement. But I am skeptical it will be something I can support.”

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Regarding the Bold:  Former GOP Chairman, Michael Steele agrees. He says the GOP will rue the day they allowed this to happen.

Rubio says the same thing:

https://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Press-Releases&id=DF492447-444A-4F9E-B7AC-F26870C9CE08

So is Rubio just going to issue this statement and then shrink away like he normally does, or is he going to finally grow a set of balls in the Senate and lead the way out of this mess?

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, Ulty said:

So is Rubio just going to issue this statement and then shrink away like he normally does, or is he going to finally grow a set of balls in the Senate and lead the way out of this mess?

Good question.  Will "Little Marco' show up or will he put on his man boots and finally kick some...

So Trump will create another constitutional crisis in order to push his project to completion.  I wonder how many Russian companies (wt USA holdings) will be involved in building said wall.  Trump is so dogmatic about this that I can't help but think there is a powerful hand pushing him to make this the hill he wants to die on.    Personally, I believe in the need for a border wall -  - but I prefer boarder security which involves more than just a wall.  A wall is just one component.  However, Trump sees the wall as the only component as it appears the monument he wants to build for himself is one that will rival the Great Wall of China. 

Regarding financing the wall.  Ted Cruz has come up with his novel (unworkable) idea. 

https://www.univision.com/univision-news/opinion/experts-call-ted-cruzs-plan-to-fund-border-wall-with-chapos-drug-money-delusional

It's not like Trump has put his foot in his mouth with the cameras rolling before.

(Remember how he admitted firing Comey was about Russia, unpromptedm when all his advisors were saying it was about deviating from FBI protocol?)

The House has the power to force a Senate vote on this within 15 days. McConnell can't block it. We're about to find out just how loyal the Senate Republicans are to Trump.