Trump's Fake Wall Emergency

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Stuff really started heading south when W was in office.

A little bit of minutiae here, but IMO the Newt Gingrich-led Republican Revolution of the earlier Clinton days was really the beginning of the end of the bipartisanship that worked so well for so long in Congress before that.

Newt built a campaign around and was swept into the speakership by pushing conservative policies and refusing to compromise.

• Plus1 2

Conservatives should fundamentally have more of a problem with executive overreach than liberals. They claim to support small government and federalism moreso anyway.

But this presents an interesting rubber meets the road moment for them. Personally to me it sounds like Sasse opposes this move on principle and had to explain it in a way that was palatable to his conservative constituents.

But it's really going to be telling to see whether Republicans are merely offering lip service or will actually vote against it/Trump. They haven't shown a lot of willingness to do the latter.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Put this another way. 

Obama declares an emergency on gun violence like you said. Do you have the same reaction if Chuck Schumer says we don’t want to do that because it would allow a Republican President to go the same?

It depends on what the emergency gun control action would be -- but it still sounds wrong and creepy. You object because it's a blatant power grab, not because you don't want to set a precedent for your opponent. 

I think by any metric health care is a bigger crisis right now than immigrants on our southern border, but I can imagine what the federal emergency healthcare crisis response would be. 

The only thing that freezes us in our tracks is war -- when an American is attacked and boots hit the ground, all parties cede a lot of control to the President. Because of that, I'm concerned our imperial megalomaniac will whip something up as 2020 approaches, and John Bolton is the perfect guy to come up with some really stupid ideas. 

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It depends on what the emergency gun control action would be -- but it still sounds wrong and creepy. You object because it's a blatant power grab, not because you don't want to set a precedent for your opponent. 

I think by any metric health care is a bigger crisis right now than immigrants on our southern border, but I can imagine what the federal emergency healthcare crisis response would be. 

The only thing that freezes us in our tracks is war -- when an American is attacked and boots hit the ground, all parties cede a lot of control to the President. Because of that, I'm concerned our imperial megalomaniac will whip something up as 2020 approaches, and John Bolton is the perfect guy to come up with some really stupid ideas. 

I don’t find anything you said contradictory to what Sasse said or shows that it was wrong or outrageous to say. 

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don’t find anything you said contradictory to what Sasse said or shows that it was wrong or outrageous to say. 

Well I didn't say it was wrong or outrageous. I'm saying I personally would have found it wrong and creepy if Obama had done an end run in order to confiscate weapons, as part of some political over-reach. I would have wanted Shumer to apply the brakes. 

Point remaining: it should be wrong for a President to abuse his powers and redefine "crisis" for political gain. Period. You should't be afraid of a future President to point this out, you should oppose the President of your party, too.

Sasse has the habit of impressing you with his words and thinking, and then being no different from his less-thoughtful colleagues when it's time to actually exercise power. 

• Plus1 4
12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well I didn't say it was wrong or outrageous. I'm saying I personally would have found it wrong and creepy if Obama had done an end run in order to confiscate weapons, as part of some political over-reach. I would have wanted Shumer to apply the brakes. 

Point remaining: it should be wrong for a President to abuse his powers and redefine "crisis" for political gain. Period. You should't be afraid of a future President to point this out, you should oppose the President of your party, too.

Sasse has the habit of impressing you with his words and thinking, and then being no different from his less-thoughtful colleagues when it's time to actually exercise power. 

Agree.

And, I would not think it's uncommon or wrong for someone on either side to express concern over certain actions because....we don't want to set a precedent that we will regret when the other party is in power.  In fact, that's the thought process that has ruled Washington for a long time...until something happened in 2016.

17 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Conservatives should fundamentally have more of a problem with executive overreach than liberals. They claim to support small government and federalism moreso anyway.

But this presents an interesting rubber meets the road moment for them. Personally to me it sounds like Sasse opposes this move on principle and had to explain it in a way that was palatable to his conservative constituents.

But it's really going to be telling to see whether Republicans are merely offering lip service or will actually vote against it/Trump. They haven't shown a lot of willingness to do the latter.

There should be consistency.  If Obama has a 'phone and and a pen' and uses it and Trump does the same - we should be speaking up regarding both if the 'national emergency' was just to create an end around those elected to the House and Senate that did not see it as such an emergency.  This makes Trump the one man legislature. 

6 hours ago, TGHusker said:

My idea of a National Emergency is $22Trillion in debt.  $2-3 trillion by this president.    Funny - we don't see any congress man or woman or our president alarmed at this crisis 

Just wait until a Democrat takes Trump's place in the Oval. You'll start to see some really concerned fiscal conservatives really quickly.

• Plus1 4