Trump's Fake Wall Emergency

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Is someone forcing you to learn other languages to accommodate these "many illegal" people?

actually yes. if Pedro refuses to speak English he doesn't have to do the required tasks that i do, and .Its dangerous in many cases to have that happen , I am required to figure out what they are saying, or get an interpreter. a huge waste of time .   

1 minute ago, Big Red 40 said:

actually yes. if Pedro refuses to speak English he doesn't have to do the required tasks that i do, and .Its dangerous in many cases to have that happen , I am required to figure out what they are saying, or get an interpreter. a huge waste of time .   

So there are tasks that require you to specifically speak English and if you don't you don't have to do the task?  

11 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Not at all tho i still don't think it right we make exceptions for hispanics where we didn't for other groups. I am also no where near a conservative. That agenda offers me nothing i care about

You were around when large numbers of other groups of immigrants came to the US and know what accommodations were made for them?

7 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

I will say, what you're describing is a very odd work place and....like I've said before, it's the employer's prerogative.  I'm failing to see what complaint you have with society in general with this issue.  Complain to your employer or find another job.  :dunno  There are many many many work places in America that aren't what you describe.

11 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

I know Irish , Italians, Asians  , etc all came to this country and learned English at least enough to get by and Hispanics don’t seem to have to nope . 

So, you've worked in places where hundreds of Irish, Italians and Asians have immigrated to work and those places did nothing to accommodate them.

You have a very interesting life working experience.

14 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

How so ? 

German was almost on even standing as English in the midwest in the late 1800's early 1900's, public schools in Ohio and Pennsylvania even taught in German.  The US almost got to the point it provided copies of legislation in German.  WW1 made it taboo and the German culture went into hiding basically.  

edit: doing a little more digging (this is kind of an interesting topic :) ) and found that Nebraska was actually the first state to make speaking a foreign language in public a criminal offense in 1919.  Governor Harding of Iowa even said people that don't worship in English should worship from home (Catholic mass could have been tricky).  Of course, these were found to be unconstitutional...

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, you've worked in places where hundreds of Irish, Italians and Asians have immigrated to work and those places did nothing to accommodate them.

You have a very interesting life working experience.

When I started at my job it was 100% English speaking people no matter their ethnicity . When the Hispanics came in it changed yes 

32 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Not at all tho i still don't think it right we make exceptions for hispanics where we didn't for other groups. I am also no where near a conservative. That agenda offers me nothing i care about

Well, I think we have collectively found a part of their agenda you care about.

Just now, Big Red 40 said:

When I started at my job it was 100% English speaking people no matter their ethnicity . When the Hispanics came in it changed yes 

And, those Irish, Italians and Asians (hundreds of them) you started working for were newly immigrated to the US.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Conservatives want Hispanics here for cheap exploitable labor to break unions, stagnate pay and cut benefits . I support none of that . I think if they want to come here fine . Speak the language , pay taxes , and obey all the same rules I have to . 

So you want an actual law forcing people to speak your language?

5 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

And yes, this discussion is germane to the larger discussion of the wall, as the intent behind putting up a wall has no basis in real-world happenings on our border, and everything to do with pandering towards an ignorant, racist base that voted for Trump.

What language immigrants may speak and whether or not they assimilate to the culture are not valid reasons for building a wall. If those are a persons reasons for wanting a wall, I would question their motives.

However, saying there is no basis in real-world happenings is.....uninformed. There’s a whole list of very good reasons to have more reasonable control of our southern border.

The flow of illegal drugs into this country.

Human trafficking.

A more formidable barrier would likely reduce attempted dangerous crossings and save lives.

Drug cartel violence in border areas.

And common sense...why should we continue to allow our immigration policy and the numbers entering our country to be determined by the whim of whatever illegal immigrants decide they want to do? At the very least, it’s not fair to those who choose to do it the right way.

As far as Trump pandering to an ignorant, racist base, I think there is plenty of evidence to support that claim. But that in no way equates to saying anyone who supports such a wall is being ignorant or racist. I think a much better and more complete barrier is a very good idea and I am neither ignorant nor racist. Worst case, I may be a bit misinformed about the extent of some of the problems, but there are very real problems associated with having a virtually wide open border to the south.

Of course the much better solution would be to rationally address all the issues related to immigration, overhaul our system and then actually enforce that policy. I can’t see how a barrier wall is not part of a reasonable solution.

• Plus1 1