Trump's Fake Wall Emergency

5 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Conservatives want Hispanics here for cheap exploitable labor to break unions, stagnate pay and cut benefits . I support none of that . I think if they want to come here fine . Speak the language , pay taxes , and obey all the same rules I have to . 

I agree on all of that.  But speaking English isn't a rule, that's what this all comes down to.  Your employer made a choice to hire people that spoke Spanish. He/she then made a choice to make things easier for his employers by posting things in Spanish.  You make a choice to continue working for the employer.  

Do they take the same drug tests?

Do they have the same HR policies regarding being late or gone from work?

Do they have the same safety standards?

Do they have the same rules regarding breaks?

etc.....

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Conservatives want Hispanics here for cheap exploitable labor to break unions, stagnate pay and cut benefits . I support none of that . I think if they want to come here fine . Speak the language , pay taxes , and obey all the same rules I have to . 

What generation were the hundreds of Irish, Italian and asian coworkers that you worked with when you first started your job?

And, conservatives USED to want Hispanics here for that reason.  NOW....they want them to speak english or get the hell out.

1 hour ago, Big Red 40 said:

actually yes. if Pedro refuses to speak English he doesn't have to do the required tasks that i do, and .Its dangerous in many cases to have that happen , I am required to figure out what they are saying, or get an interpreter. a huge waste of time .   

Can you provide a specific example of a required task that someone does not have to do due to the language they speak, and why it is dangerous? If this is happening, it sounds like you, an English speaking American, may be suffering from some sort of disparate treatment due to your national origin, not to mention the OSHA issues that may be going on due to exempting folks from the same safety standards you have to follow.

Do you have details?

1 hour ago, Big Red 40 said:

actually yes. if Pedro refuses to speak English he doesn't have to do the required tasks that i do, and .Its dangerous in many cases to have that happen , I am required to figure out what they are saying, or get an interpreter. a huge waste of time .   

I think you're upset at the wrong people and I'd absolutely be looking for a new job. Especially if their hiring decisions are putting you in danger. Your company clearly doesn't give a damn about you.

You can substitute a lot of different things into a similar scenario and it sounds ridiculous. Something like....A company hires dump truck drivers to operate a backhoe and then get upset when the truck driver doesn't want to operate a machine they aren't trained for. If the drivers don't follow through with their training they don't just get to sit on their a$$ and do nothing, they get fired.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

The ones that oppose it only oppose it because they don't want a Democrat president to be able to do the same thing.  It has nothing to do with whether they think the leader of their party is wrong or right.

That's true with some...not with others.

I don't believe that to be true for Murkowski, Collins and Sasse.  I'm sure there are others.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's true with some...not with others.

I don't believe that to be true for Murkowski, Collins and Sasse.  I'm sure there are others.

It's definitely true with Sasse. 

Ben Sasse:  https://www.nationalreview.com/news/sasse-warns-trump-national-emergency-dangerous-precedent/  “We absolutely have a crisis at the border, but as a Constitutional conservative I don’t want a future Democratic President unilaterally rewriting gun laws or climate policy,” Sasse said

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It's definitely true with Sasse. 

Ben Sasse:  https://www.nationalreview.com/news/sasse-warns-trump-national-emergency-dangerous-precedent/  “We absolutely have a crisis at the border, but as a Constitutional conservative I don’t want a future Democratic President unilaterally rewriting gun laws or climate policy,” Sasse said

I fail to see how his statement here is a problem. 

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

The ones that oppose it only oppose it because they don't want a Democrat president to be able to do the same thing.  It has nothing to do with whether they think the leader of their party is wrong or right.

I don’t pretend to know all of their reasons but opposing it because of the bad precedent it will set is a pretty good reason to oppose it IMO. It’s just too bad that our government is so dysfunctional, our President is such an a$$ and the dems so set against anything Trump may want that nobody can work together towards much needed immigration reform. I don’t think a wall is a terrible idea but it’s not an emergency and it should be just one piece of comprehensive immigration reform. We won’t get that until one party controls everything and then it will be a completely one sided sh#tshow no matter which party it is in charge. By the people and for the people my a$$.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t pretend to know all of their reasons but opposing it because of the bad precedent it will set is a pretty good reason to oppose it IMO. It’s just too bad that our government is so dysfunctional, our President is such an a$$ and the dems so set against anything Trump may want that nobody can work together towards much needed immigration reform. I don’t think a wall is a terrible idea but it’s not an emergency and it should be just one piece of comprehensive immigration reform. We won’t get that until one party controls everything and then it will be a completely one sided sh#tshow no matter which party it is in charge. By the people and for the people my a$$.

The Repubs just had 2 years of one-sided control, and yet they didn't fund the wall or even attempt to tackle immigration legislation.