Trump's Fake Wall Emergency

45 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Then I’m confused at the point you were trying to make just a few posts back :dunno

The original topic was about the wall and i made my point about that in one post. Discussion went into Hispanics , and illegal immigration i posted some of my thoughts on that too. Then someone brought up assimilation which i think Hispanics should have to do, the same way every other ethnic group has, including learning the language. It then spun into Indians , Amish, dutch, indians whatever, that i don't care about. 

1 minute ago, Big Red 40 said:

The original topic was about the wall and i made my point about that in one post. Discussion went into Hispanics , and illegal immigration i posted some of my thoughts on that too. Then someone brought up assimilation which i think Hispanics should have to do, the same way every other ethnic group has, including learning the language. It then spun into Indians , Amish, dutch, indians whatever, that i don't care about. 

But the point BRB was making was that why should hispanics have to assimilate (still not sure what this is supposed to look like) fully, but other cultures we don't "care about"?

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, please explain why having a driving test in Spanish affects you?

It doesn't have to affect me for me to have an opinion on it, just as much of this doesn't affect you either but you still have your opinion.  why do hispanics deserve to have things changed here to suit them when no other ethnic group has?

Just now, Big Red 40 said:

It doesn't have to affect me for me to have an opinion on it, just as much of this doesn't affect you either but you still have your opinion.  why do hispanics deserve to have things changed here to suit them when no other ethnic group has?

If there were 10s of millions of German speaking people in the USA, then a lot of things would also be written in German.  The only reason things are in English is because it's the "predominate" language.  Consider yourself lucky that you can communicate in 99% of locations in the in the USA.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

If there were 10s of millions of German speaking people in the USA, then a lot of things would also be written in German.  The only reason things are in English is because it's the "predominate" language.  Consider yourself lucky that you can communicate in 99% of locations in the in the USA.

yeah except for my place of employment where i have to train and work with hundreds of people who can speak the language but would rather not.

1 minute ago, Big Red 40 said:

...and that was his point with Pella Iowa. It is a community founded by Dutch immigrants and they apparently have not fully assimilated based on the Dutch language still being prevalent there.  Sure it's not as widespread or as common as Hispanic immigrants so I think he was trying to show that you weren't being consistent in your objections.

Don't shoot the messenger. I don't necessarily agree. Just trying to put this tangent behind us.

16 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Funny, when the United States experienced waves of European immigrants, local official documents as well as private business documents were often printed in their native tongue as well as English, so as to accommodate them and help them acclimate to our country. 

Guess it must be different in present day for folks that aren't Caucasian because of...reasons?

And yes, this discussion is germane to the larger discussion of the wall, as the intent behind putting up a wall has no basis in real-world happenings on our border, and everything to do with pandering towards an ignorant, racist base that voted for Trump.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Big Red 40 said:

yeah except for my place of employment where i have to train and work with hundreds of people who can speak the language but would rather not.

I have a very hard time believing that.  So, you have hundreds of people in your work place that can speak English, but your employer chooses to do things in Spanish because they don't want to speak English.  I find that hard to believe.

But...let's assume you are right and I'm assuming you work in the private sector.  Isn't that the prerogative of the employer?  They don't have to do that.  There isn't any regulation or governmental requirement that they do that.  I have a good friend who owns a business and they employ immigrants.  I've been there and seen signs around in both English and Spanish.  I fail to see what the issue is?

Are you advocating governmental regulations against private sector business's doing this?  I thought conservatives were against government meddling in our private businesses.

Also, I have a brother who owns a business in Baton Rouge.  I have been in his shop working with everyone around me speaking the Cajun dialect that I don't know.  I know they can speak English, because when they come to me, they speak it.  Where is the outrage about that?

• Plus1 1

You go almost everywhere else in the world and counties have no problem speaking and dealing with multiple languages.  You go to European countries and it's very common that people are bilingual and signs are in two languages. But...here in the good ol' US....the country of immigrants.  The land where we have always been proud that we have welcomed people from around the world. (at least till Trump took "nation of immigrants" off of all government websites).....it's outrageous that we have to deal with anyone who doesn't speak English.  Speak English or get the hell out of our country.

It's pretty pathetic actually.

American kids who work to become bilingual are an upper hand in the work place.  The economy is a world economy now and many large companies are looking for people who are bilingual because they have offices around the world.  (well.....that is until Trump takes us out of every trade deal we have and we become an isolated country.).  

I met a guy one time who was learning his 8th language.  MY LORD...his employment opportunities are endless.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have a very hard time believing that.  So, you have hundreds of people in your work place that can speak English, but your employer chooses to do things in Spanish because they don't want to speak English.  I find that hard to believe.

But...let's assume you are right and I'm assuming you work in the private sector.  Isn't that the prerogative of the employer?  They don't have to do that.  There isn't any regulation or governmental requirement that they do that.  I have a good friend who owns a business and they employ immigrants.  I've been there and seen signs around in both English and Spanish.  I fail to see what the issue is?

Are you advocating governmental regulations against private sector business's doing this?  I thought conservatives were against government meddling in our private businesses.

Also, I have a brother who owns a business in Baton Rouge.  I have been in his shop working with everyone around me speaking the Cajun dialect that I don't know.  I know they can speak English, because when they come to me, they speak it.  Where is the outrage about that?

Not at all tho i still don't think it right we make exceptions for hispanics where we didn't for other groups. I am also no where near a conservative. That agenda offers me nothing i care about