Jerry Kill's teardown of PJ Fleck is rare in college football coaching

GSG

12 minutes ago, Landlord said:

To be fair he doesn't dress like that for games or monday morning press conferences or whatever. Those are big event type of things. Every coach wears a suit at B1G Media Days, for example (I think I even took that picture on the left?)

His gameday/practice(?) attire is much more subdued: 

Still looks like a douche canoe to me

• Plus1 2

57 minutes ago, Landlord said:

To be fair he doesn't dress like that for games or monday morning press conferences or whatever. Those are big event type of things. Every coach wears a suit at B1G Media Days, for example (I think I even took that picture on the left?)

His gameday/practice(?) attire is much more subdued: 

I watch 3-4 of his Monday PC's this year and he was wearing a suit every time. That PC was from the year before they beat Wisconsin this year.  Does it really matter if it is a Suit coat and tie or a form fitting sweater with a tie.  

Just now, NUinID said:

I watch 3-4 of his Monday PC's this year and he was wearing a suit every time. That PC was from the year before they beat Wisconsin this year.  Does it really matter if it is a Suit coat and tie or a form fitting sweater with a tie.  

No, not really. Just like it doesn't matter if he wears a tie or a t-shirt.

Just now, Landlord said:

No, not really. Just like it doesn't matter if he wears a tie or a t-shirt.

I think it does, it shows  that he is an uptight anal person who is trying to impress us with they way he dresses.  No other coach you see on a regular Monday morning PC is wearing suit.  

15 hours ago, NUinID said:

Just curious, why would you watch multiple press conferences of another team's coach? I'm a die hard Husker fan, but I almost never have the time or inclination to watch our own coach's press conferences.

I think the proof will be in the pudding for Fleck as time goes on. If he is a good enough gameday coach, and 18 year old kids succumb to his weird recruiting tactics, then he'll be fine. If his shtick wears thin and doesn't produce wins he'll just be another a$$hole who tried too hard to gain attention and failed. He comes off as an eccentric d******d, but he's not the most eccentric nor the most douchey. He's just barely above average in the eccentric douche d******d category.

9 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Just curious, why would you watch multiple press conferences of another team's coach? I'm a die hard Husker fan, but I almost never have the time or inclination to watch our own coach's press conferences.

I think the proof will be in the pudding for Fleck as time goes on. If he is a good enough gameday coach, and 18 year old kids succumb to his weird recruiting tactics, then he'll be fine. If his shtick wears thin and doesn't produce wins he'll just be another a$$hole who tried too hard to gain attention and failed. He comes off as an eccentric d******d, but he's not the most eccentric nor the most douchey. He's just barely above average in the eccentric douche d******d category.

When I say I watch the PC I mean I will watch pieces of them.  I own my own business and will go home for lunch.  I will flip on the TV for the half hour that I am home and flip it to the B1G network and  they will be showing weekly coaches PC.  I am not usually watching all that close.  It is just something to watch when I am eating my lunch.  

I am Husker fan first and for most, but I am a huge college football fan in general.  

That facts that he wears a suit and tie to PC really isn't an issue for me, lots of coaches have in the past wore suits and most do at least sometimes.  It is more the look of the suits that gets me.  It is attention grabbing.  It is done with a purpose.  

• Plus1 1

I will say tho, as a fellow custom suit guy, those windowpane suits he busts out (except for the gold one, that thing is hideous) are pretty darn snazzy.  I gotta think the tie thing is homage to Mike Nolan who I think gave Fleck his first coaching job or was the coach of the Niners when Fleck was a player there...I can't quite remember off hand.  Eww, I gave Fleck a compliment, gotta go wash my hands.

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

There are plenty of things to criticize Fleck for.  Wearing a suit to a press conference is not one of them.  

That's true, for me it's just an easy target because it sums up the way he comes across pretty well. It's a just a little too tight and flashy, and I've never understood the loose full windsor knot on anyone. All of those reasons are extremely subjective, but I'm a judgemental jerk so whatever. In any case, if he wins players will want to come. Most of the Minnesota fans I know roll their eyes at him a little, and everyone's willing to put up with quirks if you win.

I feel like Fleck and Chryst have the best matches of personality and gameday attire in the B1G. Fleck has a nice trendy suit and a bright pullover, and Chyst wears boring crew sweatshirts and hats that I swear they haven't sold since the 90s.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

That's true, for me it's just an easy target because it sums up the way he comes across pretty well. It's a just a little too tight and flashy, and I've never understood the loose full windsor knot on anyone. All of those reasons are extremely subjective, but I'm a judgemental jerk so whatever. In any case, if he wins players will want to come. Most of the Minnesota fans I know roll their eyes at him a little, and everyone's willing to put up with quirks if you win.

I feel like Fleck and Chryst have the best matches of personality and gameday attire in the B1G. Fleck has a nice trendy suit and a bright pullover, and Chyst wears boring crew sweatshirts and hats that I swear they haven't sold since the 90s.

exactly

3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Row-the-boat, Ski-u-mah, go gophers... At the end of every interview is so freaking annoying.

I honestly cant stand the guy. I am sure he is a great family guy but his energy and self-righteousness drives me up a wall.

I like his energy when it's energy.  Unfortunately it delves into hyperactivity far too often.  In public anyway.

19 hours ago, NUinID said:

I think it does, it shows  that he is an uptight anal person who is trying to impress us with they way he dresses.  No other coach you see on a regular Monday morning PC is wearing suit.  

Or it shows that he's trying to set an example of professionalism and maturity for a program that was in a good amount of dysfunction and lacking in some strong leadership? Or it shows that he just likes looking good? Or maybe it's different amounts of all three, or two of the three.

Wearing a suit does not equal your very specific interpretation of what wearing a suit represents.

9 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Or it shows that he's trying to set an example of professionalism and maturity for a program that was in a good amount of dysfunction and lacking in some strong leadership? Or it shows that he just likes looking good? Or maybe it's different amounts of all three, or two of the three.

Wearing a suit does not equal your very specific interpretation of what wearing a suit represents.

Sounds like what you are saying is that just because you wear something, it might not mean what others think it means?  

(Uh oh...what have I done!)  

I agree, I would not be wearing a suit like PJ but I am sure (well, I know for a fact) there are people that don't like how Frost dresses for stuff.  

(Waitin for eyeroll  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------V

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

What? When I see PJ wearing that cut/style and print of a suit it says something to me.  It obviously doesn't say the same thing to you and that is fine. It doesn't scream professionalism and maturity to me. He is trying to make a statement. He is dressing for effect.  Sorry it doesn't work for me.