The End of One-And-Done?

Mavric

Fine by me. I'm kinda tired of getting all hyped up about guys who are only going to be on campus one year and then watch them struggle to gel for 2/3 of the season and end up with an early tourney exit. I think they should do something that if you don't go pro at 18, then you have to wait 2 years or something. Kinda balance it out a little

• Plus1 1

I'm fine with this. Honestly, it should've happened already. The vast majority of 18-year-old players are not ready to play and compete on an NBA team so they'll still go the college route for at least a short time. The elite players will go straight to the NBA and start making money. I don't think the college product will suffer too substantially. At the end of the day, the one-year wait vs going straight there doesn't feel that significant.

I do think it's a bit sad to consider some of the best players in the world skipping the college game, but, college basketball is a distance behind other major sports in terms of viewership. The NFL, NBA, MLB and college football are all ahead of it.

1 hour ago, GSG said:

Fine by me. I'm kinda tired of getting all hyped up about guys who are only going to be on campus one year and then watch them struggle to gel for 2/3 of the season and end up with an early tourney exit. I think they should do something that if you don't go pro at 18, then you have to wait 2 years or something. Kinda balance it out a little

If you're a fan of who I think you're a fan of, I feel exactly the same way. 

• Plus1 1

Will be interesting to see the guys who crash and burn.  There's a good and bad side to this imo but will also be super cool to see how say a Zion Williamson would have done his first few years had he not went to Duke.  The Kevin Garnett's.  ( Who played here in Chicago at Farragut)  Lebron obviously turned out pretty well.  

The rule should be if you decide to go to college, you have to stay at least 2 years before declaring for the draft. If you want to go to the pros out of high school, you can do so at your own risk. If they flame out, they can develop in the G-League. It is the risk that the top high school players will have to way when deciding on whether to go to college or go pro.

• Plus1 1

I don't like any of the rules preventing guys from taking advantage of their limited window to cash in on their athletic ability.  Let them go when they want.  If the NBA commits to developing their G League it would help even more(help the young players not the NCAA).  If high talent guys that get drafted young flame out there is still a lot of money to be made overseas.

5 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

The rule should be if you decide to go to college, you have to stay at least 2 years before declaring for the draft. If you want to go to the pros out of high school, you can do so at your own risk. If they flame out, they can develop in the G-League. It is the risk that the top high school players will have to way when deciding on whether to go to college or go pro.

I've kind of thought that for awhile as well.  Similar to baseball - either go pro out of high school or stay in school three years.