Homemade Buscuits &Sausage Gravy/Pics

Roxy15

I made homemade biscuits last night for dinner and they turned out great!  I have  made these before, but, they turned out so much better this time because I did a couple of things different this time!  They hardly took any time to make and I will never buy those canned biscuits in the grocery store again!  I put sausage gravy over them and had eggs and homemade hash browns.  I like to put sausage gravy over hash browns too.  

Homemade hashbrowns are so much better than the frozen kind and as far as time goes, they don’t take that long!

I prepped the biscuits a couple of hours before I needed to bake them.  I think that was the secret to have the biscuits larger!  I also used a dough hook on the mixer to mix the dough after I used the pastry blender and that worked better!

Biscuits:

2 Cups Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/3 Cup Crisco Shortening
1 Cup Milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
***Trust me, the temperature is not too high!

Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl.  Cut in shortening using a pastry blender until mixture resembles a coarse meal.

Put mixture into mixing bowl with a dough hook in place!

Add milk GRADUALLY, and mix for a few minutes or until the dough pulls away from side of bowl.  Don’t over mix!  The dough will be very sticky!

Turn dough out onto a heavily floured cutting board and kneed 5-6 times or just until it holds together!  Don’t overdo kneading!  I floured my hands before

kneeding!

Roll out dough onto a floured rolling pin to 1-inch thickness.

Cut out 2-1/2-inch rounds with a floured biscuit cutter.  I don’t have a biscuit cutter so I just used a small glass and rolled the rim of the glass in flour.  It works just as well so there is no use for me to buy a biscuit cutter!

Brush off excess flour and transfer rounds to an ungreased cookie sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.  I lined the cookie sheet with parchment paper to make sure the buscuits would be easy to get off and that worked great!

Bake until edges begin to brown, 13-15 minutes.  I baked them for 13 minutes!

Store biscuits in an airtight container!

Reheat in 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes!

Sausage Gravy:

Scallions, Finely Chopped-(White Parts Only!)
***I Eyeball It, Depends How Big The Scallions Are!
1-lb. Pig. Jimmy Dean’s Hot Sausage-(Pork)
4 Tablespoons Butter
4 Tablespoons Flour
1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
***I Didn’t Have Any So I Substituted Milk & Thar Works!
Pinch Cayenne Pepper-(Opt.)
***I Like Spice So I Add It!
Salt & Pepper, To Taste
***I Used Garlic Salt

Preheat a large skillet to medium/high heat.

Add the scallion whites and a tiny drop of oil and sauté for about a minute.

Add the pork sausage and break up with a wooden spoon, browning all over.

While the sausage is browning, melt the butter in a Dutch Oven.  This will save mess because the pan is deep enough to hold it all and you can stir it without it going all over the place!

Once the butter is melted and the foaming has subsided, add the flour.  Whisk until it becomes a nice golden paste, about a minute.  

Add the heavy cream, milk, cayenne-(if using)-salt and pepper.  I used garlic salt!
***i just eyeballed it!
***I didn’t have heavy whipping cream, so I just used milk and that works!

Whisk until the gravy is nice and thick and creamy!

When the sausage is done, put sausage on a plate and using a paper towel, pat it to get the grease off!

Put sausage into the Dutch Oven that has the cream mixture!

Serve over biscuits and hash browns!

Pics of biscuits after baking and with sausage gravy over them. hash browns and scrambled eggs.

EE98E777-4209-416D-9EA6-E96F7E4BD1C9.jpeg

682648FD-170E-40EB-AD56-672F615C9385.jpeg

70ADD8B8-DE08-4F1B-937F-06FB22C72FC3.jpeg

9E138E54-32DB-4A4D-AA29-369126EEECC3.jpeg

• Plus1 1