Worst CFB Hires of the Past Decade

Mavric

10. MIKE RILEY - NEBRASKA (2015-17)
Mike Riley arrived at Nebraska after 12 seasons at Oregon State. He followed Bo Pellini, who had been fired after seven seasons. While Nebraska had not won a conference title during Pellini's tenure, the team did win nine games in all seven of his seasons. That might have played a role in the dissatisfaction the program had with Riley after just three seasons at the helm. The Huskers did go 9-4 in 2016 after posting a 6-7 mark in Riley's first season. However, Nebraska then went 4-8 in 2017. A 19-19 record through three seasons was enough for Nebraska to chase after current coach Scott Frost. Riley returned to Oregon State as the assistant head coach last season under Jonathan Smith, and he now serves as the head coach of the San Antonio Commanders in the new Alliance of American Football league.

#Relevant

• Haha 3

MR should be in top 5 based on the trajectory alone.  No Bill Callahan on the list - probably too long ago.   He set us on the downward spiral.  Without Zac Taylor - we'd had 4 losing season's if he lasted that long.   But I will say this, I think MR would have done worse damage if left here another year or 2.  BC big problem was he was too loyal to his DC  MR was failing across the board.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

MR should be in top 5 based on the trajectory alone.  No Bill Callahan on the list - probably too long ago.   He set us on the downward spiral.  Without Zac Taylor - we'd had 4 losing season's if he lasted that long.   But I will say this, I think MR would have done worse damage if left here another year or 2.  BC big problem was he was too loyal to his DC  MR was failing across the board.

This is why I think Callahan gets too much heat.  Nebraska would have been successful if Callahan  fired Cosgrove.  Callahan had decent offenses and could recruit.  He's 5x better than Mr 500.

• Plus1 4

4 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

This is why I think Callahan gets too much heat.  Nebraska would have been successful if Callahan  fired Cosgrove.  Callahan had decent offenses and could recruit.  He's 5x better than Mr 500.

Lol no no he wouldn't have, he hasn't been a head coach since.  He wasn't good in big game situational coaching.  He just wasn't a good head coach. 

• Fire 1

Hey we finished in the top 10 in something!

10 hours ago, teachercd said:

I can still remember sooooo many dorks finding "reasons" to believe that Riley would be amazing at NU...some dudes felt like at OSU they took turns lifting on an old Bowflex machine and feasted on Banquet chicken dinners.

I do, too. Heh... I was probably one of them at times.

I just wanted to see him do well like I would any Nebraska coach. I had my doubts and I think a lot of us did, but, I was willing to shun them to the side until he had a couple of years to prove what he was worth.

6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Hey we finished in the top 10 in something!

I do, too. Heh... I was probably one of them at times.

I just wanted to see him do well like I would any Nebraska coach. I had my doubts and I think a lot of us did, but, I was willing to shun them to the side until he had a couple of years to prove what he was worth.

It is like being in an abusive relationship!  Ha