Worst CFB Hires of the Past Decade

Mavric

Bo was solidly mediocre. Just never going to get over the hump. Too many character flaws that affected player performance and development.

Both he and Callahan played for conference championships. And won bowl games.

I respect the heck out of Riley, but the on-field results were way, way beneath that of either of the other two guys.

I have this memory of all the national pundits saying what a great hire Riley was, a perfect fit for NE.  Huskers should be tickled to get such a great coach.

And I felt like Nebraska's collective response to the Riley hiring was

WTF!!??????????

ARE YOU F***ING SERIOUS???????

That's the way my feeble old brain remembers it.

• Plus1 3
39 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Bo was solidly mediocre. Just never going to get over the hump. Too many character flaws that affected player performance and development.

Both he and Callahan played for conference championships. And won bowl games.

I respect the heck out of Riley, but the on-field results were way, way beneath that of either of the other two guys.

How do you have respect for Riley? The guy was completely unprepared to have a winning program at Nebraska. 

• Plus1 6
10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

How do you have respect for Riley? The guy was completely unprepared to have a winning program at Nebraska.  

He tried hard and fulfilled part of what was his obligation here, which was undoing the damage and embarrassment Bo's toxicity caused the program. He didn't leave the cupboard completely bare for Frost, either.

I don't have to actively dislike the guy just because he was a poor coach here.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Quit with this false narrative there was/is a large part if the fan base that was completely fine with Bo.  The fabricated propaganda put out by SE to try to make Bo into some villain was down right ridiculous.   Riley did more to harm this program then Bo ever did.

I mean, it's not propaganda, it's just my own opinion.

By the end of Bo's era I was sick as hell of him playing the "us against them" card and crapping on the fan base. I remember the hot mic and the team meeting before he left. It was pretty clear to me he cared about the players, but is was also clear his style of motivating them had players so afraid of making mistakes and consequently getting reamed a new one that they played scared and ultimately led to a lot of blowouts in big games.

His on-field demeanor was beyond embarrassing by the end. But I don't have a problem with him (or Riley, for that matter) as a person.

Bo was a great hire at the time. He had been here before  he did some good stuff. He just hit his ceiling. When it came time to really raise is up..he just couldn’t do it. And he turned MAD because of it. 

Riley sucked from day one. Yeah, he released the MAD toxicity, but he had zero chance of winning 9-10-11 games all the time. He just wouldn’t ever do it. He was a terrible hire, easily in the top 10 because he had no long term fit. 

Im not happy with the record last year, but I’ll bet dollars on gold Frost is the BEST hire 10 hrs from now. 

Life is about timing and we hit the gold watch. 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

He tried hard and fulfilled part of what was his obligation here, which was undoing the damage and embarrassment Bo's toxicity caused the program. He leave the cupboard completely bare for Frost, either.

I don't have to actively dislike the guy just because he was a poor coach here.

Two things. I was completely embarrassed by the on the field damage caused by Riley’s 3 years at NU. Also, Riley left a roster of prima donnas, and little depth, where Frost has come in and overhauled the roster in his 2 years at NU. There were some bright spots with Riley players in 2018, but that roster was a mediocre roster at best. 

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, KingBlank said:

Quit with this false narrative there was/is a large part if the fan base that was completely fine with Bo.  The fabricated propaganda put out by SE to try to make Bo into some villain was down right ridiculous.   Riley did more to harm this program then Bo ever did.

It's not a false narrative but a matter of perspective - there was/is a large part of the fan base that was embarrassed by Bo, disappointed in his personality and disappointed by his on-field results. His firing was met with more support than opposition, whatever that percentage might've been. Overall, though, I agree that I think Riley harmed this program greater than BP ever did.

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

It's not a false narrative but a matter of perspective - there was/is a large part of the fan base that was embarrassed by Bo, disappointed in his personality and disappointed by his on-field results. His firing was met with more support than opposition, whatever that percentage might've been. Overall, though, I agree that I think Riley harmed this program greater than BP ever did.

It's possible to have this opinion, which I share, as well.  It doesn't always have to be one or the other.

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Enhance said:

Overall, though, I agree that I think Riley harmed this program greater than BP ever did.

And they’re both flesh wounds. Coming off back to back 4-8 seasons we’ve had two great recruiting classes, a unified fan base, a strong brand. We are selling out spring games while others are cancelling them. We entered spring with multiple outlets ranking us and have a bettable Heisman contender.

Neither coach achieved their goals, but harm is when you can’t go out and hire the guy you hope to fix it. This program has shown itself strong enough to give Frost the tools to accomplish his goals. 

• Fire 1
8 hours ago, brophog said:

Neither coach achieved their goals, but harm is when you can’t go out and hire the guy you hope to fix it.

There are a lot of different types of harm.  Breaking a program beyond repair would be the most extreme type but there are a lot of ways to harm a program that don't go that far.

On 4/1/2019 at 12:08 AM, I am I said:

Bo was a great hire at the time. He had been here before  he did some good stuff. He just hit his ceiling. When it came time to really raise is up..he just couldn’t do it. And he turned MAD because of it. 

Riley sucked from day one. Yeah, he released the MAD toxicity, but he had zero chance of winning 9-10-11 games all the time. He just wouldn’t ever do it. He was a terrible hire, easily in the top 10 because he had no long term fit. 

Im not happy with the record last year, but I’ll bet dollars on gold Frost is the BEST hire 10 hrs from now

Life is about timing and we hit the gold watch. 

Your 10 hrs is up

Lets not sugarcoat it.  There was nothing good about the Riley hire

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1