Worst CFB Hires of the Past Decade

Mavric

51 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Regarding the Solich firing as it happened...in retrospect, after how everything has played out: probly over 20 fired coaches, an entire program of championship football knowledge lost to the wind,  multi-million dollar buyouts, an entire generation of Husker fans coming of age and really never knowing what it was like to be relevant...

It seems to me that the Solich firing, as it happened, when it happened was probably not the right thing to have happened.  One wonders if things had been done differently, where our program would be now: would it have fallen so far, or become so wayward.  

In retrospect, Nebraska's run from 1962- 2001 was pretty impressive by any standard. If Solich stays things may have turned out better, but college football was catching up with the bluebloods regardless, and that kind of 40 year relevance was hard to sustain, as every other dynasty will tell you. 

Also in retrospect....I think Husker fans might prefer the rollercoaster ride: taking that 12 -1 championship season, knowing it required a 4 - 8 rebuild. 

Bo - was a good coach who should of never been fired.  Solich also got the short end of the stick.  I think if you asked Frost he would agree they both were

good coaches.  Nebraska hopefully learned by the bad decisions and will give Frost time.  Solich knew what he was doing and Bo had some much needed 

passion. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

They aren't that closely connected.

They are very closely connected.

Pelini wasn't fired when Perlman wanted it done because Osborne carried more weight......which made it an even bigger battle with Perlman.

I think your thoughts on the recording are well known.

I absolutely agree that after 2011 Pelini no longer wanted to be at Nebraska because of Perlman.

Osborne knew replacing Pelini wouldn't be easy.

I'm glad we have Frost.

Moving on.......

• Plus1 1

I was a big Bo fan, still kind of am, but it turns out that his temper issues or perceived issues started to become bigger than the team.  It got to where all the TV cameras watched was Bo.  It was no longer right that he should be the face of the Husker program.  

Also it seems that as a HC he was a little over his head right?  It seemed that when he gave Paps the D and tried to be a manager the team became a mess.  And I never thought that the Offense was anything close to where it should have been in terms of straight up competence, complexity, identity.  We had one identity: Tmagic with a limp.  Not Good.   Man, what TO could have done with TMagic.  Frazier, Gill, Crouch: T Mart's burst or cut through the line was faster than all of them.  His Kstate run looked honestly like Thurman Thomas on Tecmo Bowl, except for real. (as in  Did I just see that?!)

Bo is/was an outstanding D coach, when it is HIS D, and he has HIS guys.  Watch out.  But thats it.  A D Coordinator.  Not the Husker HC.  And I still like him.

• Plus1 3

Forget about Bo's temper. Like pretend that it didn't exist and had nothing to do with his job or firing. Enter a thought experiment where Bo is just a nice pleasant no nonsense kind of coach who puts himself together wrong.

Still needed to go. We were further away from competing for championships in year 7 than we were in year 1. SEVEN YEARS of program building with absolutely no progress to show for it. Still losing by 30+ points at least once a year. Still giving up all-time NCAA record performances. Still falling flat on the biggest stage. Still being embarrassed by teams like McNeese State. Still recruiting at a mediocre level. 

Yes, he was a good coach. But he wasn't anything more than that. Good isn't good enough. You've gotta try to be great. When someone's had that long to show you what they are, if it's not great or at least showing glimpses of a potential to be great, enough time has been spent.

• Plus1 7

6 hours ago, Landlord said:

Forget about Bo's temper. Like pretend that it didn't exist and had nothing to do with his job or firing. Enter a thought experiment where Bo is just a nice pleasant no nonsense kind of coach who puts himself together wrong.

Still needed to go. We were further away from competing for championships in year 7 than we were in year 1. SEVEN YEARS of program building with absolutely no progress to show for it. Still losing by 30+ points at least once a year. Still giving up all-time NCAA record performances. Still falling flat on the biggest stage. Still being embarrassed by teams like McNeese State. Still recruiting at a mediocre level. 

Yes, he was a good coach. But he wasn't anything more than that. Good isn't good enough. You've gotta try to be great. When someone's had that long to show you what they are, if it's not great or at least showing glimpses of a potential to be great, enough time has been spent.

But the lack of progress was Perlman’s and the fans’ fault ‘cause Bo’s heart wasn’t in it after 2011 because his feelings got hurt.

crybaby.jpg

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

But the lack of progress was Perlman’s and the fans’ fault ‘cause Bo’s heart wasn’t in it after 2011 because his feelings got hurt.

crybaby.jpg

Lack of progress is an interesting concept.

......oh to have been a fly on Tom Osborne's wall circa 1979.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

I was a big Bo fan, still kind of am, but it turns out that his temper issues or perceived issues started to become bigger than the team.  It got to where all the TV cameras watched was Bo.  It was no longer right that he should be the face of the Husker program.  

Also it seems that as a HC he was a little over his head right?  It seemed that when he gave Paps the D and tried to be a manager the team became a mess.  And I never thought that the Offense was anything close to where it should have been in terms of straight up competence, complexity, identity.  We had one identity: Tmagic with a limp.  Not Good.   Man, what TO could have done with TMagic.  Frazier, Gill, Crouch: T Mart's burst or cut through the line was faster than all of them.  His Kstate run looked honestly like Thurman Thomas on Tecmo Bowl, except for real. (as in  Did I just see that?!)

Bo is/was an outstanding D coach, when it is HIS D, and he has HIS guys.  Watch out.  But thats it.  A D Coordinator.  Not the Husker HC.  And I still like him.

Bo Pelini is a good defensive coach for the most part.  He was good at creating schemes for stopping offenses if he had the right personnel. I think he was a fairly good motivator and for the most part his players like him.   I  think it is a testament to his abilities as a coach that he always won 9+ games every year he was at Nebraska. I also think his many flaws are what didn't allow him to be more successful at Nebraska.  

I am not sure how you would call his temper issues "perceived".  The man had temper issues, they are well documented on video and audio recordings. He was thin skinned beyond disbelief and was terrible dealing with the media.  

His downfall started when his brother left Lincoln.  I believe Carl was the only person on the staff that he even halfway listed to.  A good manager/coach has to be willing to listen to other ideas and ways of doing things.  He surrounded himself with yes men.  It doesn't mean those guys couldn't coach, I just think it was a dictatorship.  

His defensive schemes were flawed for the B1G conference.  He was always too worried about getting beat deep in the passing game.  His defense was built to stop the pass first.  Which works fairly well when you have really good front 7 guys.  His run fits were too precise if everything worked perfectly it was fine, but things rarely work perfectly.  So against great running teams "Wisconsin" he would give up 408 yards to a back because he didn't want to get beat with the pass.  

He wasn't a good enough recruiter to get the linemen he needed to run his defense.  He didn't trust local talent and passed on or slow played guys that would have helped his team defensively. I am talking about Ott, Bazata, and Harrison Phillips. 

PB would be a great DC at the Pro level.  He would be able to get the players he needed and not have to deal with the press and other distraction that go with being a HC.  It would suit him.  He is not ever going to be a great HC, but because of his huge ego he won't admit it.  

• Plus1 3
57 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Bo Pelini is a good defensive coach for the most part.  He was good at creating schemes for stopping offenses if he had the right personnel. I think he was a fairly good motivator and for the most part his players like him.   I  think it is a testament to his abilities as a coach that he always won 9+ games every year he was at Nebraska. I also think his many flaws are what didn't allow him to be more successful at Nebraska.  

I am not sure how you would call his temper issues "perceived".  The man had temper issues, they are well documented on video and audio recordings. He was thin skinned beyond disbelief and was terrible dealing with the media.  

His downfall started when his brother left Lincoln.  I believe Carl was the only person on the staff that he even halfway listed to.  A good manager/coach has to be willing to listen to other ideas and ways of doing things.  He surrounded himself with yes men.  It doesn't mean those guys couldn't coach, I just think it was a dictatorship.  

His defensive schemes were flawed for the B1G conference.  He was always too worried about getting beat deep in the passing game.  His defense was built to stop the pass first.  Which works fairly well when you have really good front 7 guys.  His run fits were too precise if everything worked perfectly it was fine, but things rarely work perfectly.  So against great running teams "Wisconsin" he would give up 408 yards to a back because he didn't want to get beat with the pass.  

He wasn't a good enough recruiter to get the linemen he needed to run his defense.  He didn't trust local talent and passed on or slow played guys that would have helped his team defensively. I am talking about Ott, Bazata, and Harrison Phillips. 

PB would be a great DC at the Pro level.  He would be able to get the players he needed and not have to deal with the press and other distraction that go with being a HC.  It would suit him.  He is not ever going to be a great HC, but because of his huge ego he won't admit it.  

Collins, Valentine, Davis Brothers, Gregory, Mcmullen, Moss

They would beg to differ, terrible arguement.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

Yet we lost at home to who last year?   Embarrassed? They won the game, get over that we should win 78 - 0 it isn't happening anymore 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, TheSker said:

Lack of progress is an interesting concept.

......oh to have been a fly on Tom Osborne's wall circa 1979.

The fly would have told you that Tom Osborne was keenly aware that he had to do better if he wanted to stay at Nebraska, or he could start fresh as the Head Coach at the University of Colorado and really stick it to Nebraska's demanding fans. 

What's your point? 

• Plus1 2