Worst CFB Hires of the Past Decade

Mavric

31 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Yet we lost at home to who last year?   Embarrassed? They won the game, get over that we should win 78 - 0 it isn't happening anymore 

What happened last year has nothing to do with Bo Pelini. What the f*** are you talking about?

2 hours ago, TheSker said:

Lack of progress is an interesting concept.

......oh to have been a fly on Tom Osborne's wall circa 1979.

Osborne definitely went through something similar, but the big difference was that his teams played far more respectably at his stagnated 'glass ceiling' than Bo's ever did. In a different reality he maybe never got over the hump, but top 10 teams that played sound and rarely got beat big were way better than Pelini's teams.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, TheSker said:

Lack of progress is an interesting concept.

......oh to have been a fly on Tom Osborne's wall circa 1979.

Tom Osborne was objectively a better coach based on the standards of that era. This was a clumsy argument 10 years ago and it still is today.

What should we have considered progressive enough about BP in 2014, after seven years, that was more valuable than his failings? Was it the lack of a conference title? Was it the lack of division titles? Was it his defense that broke records for all the wrong reasons? Was it his recruiting deficiencies?

It's just silly that we're still having to justify this firing so many years later. The dude was a good football coach. People lose their jobs just for being 'good' all the time.

• Plus1 3
On 4/4/2019 at 8:17 AM, Enhance said:

That's fascinating because most of the people I know, most of the online polls I saw at the time, and most of the conversations I had with university officials (off the record and on the record) and the public when I covered his firing as a reporter suggested the opposite. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Regardless, no, his firing wasn't "idiotic." There was, as there is now, plenty of evidence to support his firing. Of course, that doesn't mean BP was a total failure or that he can't be given credit for anything as you have tried to suggest in the not-so-distant past in your ongoing quest to defend BP from criticism.

I didn't think firing Bo was idiotic. I hated watching teams run all over us. Hiring MR was definitely idiotic.

• Plus1 1

On 4/5/2019 at 2:25 AM, Landlord said:

Forget about Bo's temper. Like pretend that it didn't exist and had nothing to do with his job or firing. Enter a thought experiment where Bo is just a nice pleasant no nonsense kind of coach who puts himself together wrong.

Still needed to go. We were further away from competing for championships in year 7 than we were in year 1. SEVEN YEARS of program building with absolutely no progress to show for it. Still losing by 30+ points at least once a year. Still giving up all-time NCAA record performances. Still falling flat on the biggest stage. Still being embarrassed by teams like McNeese State. Still recruiting at a mediocre level. 

Yes, he was a good coach. But he wasn't anything more than that. Good isn't good enough. You've gotta try to be great. When someone's had that long to show you what they are, if it's not great or at least showing glimpses of a potential to be great, enough time has been spent.

I thought Bo got a raw deal from Perlman. It must have been tough coaching when you know the head rat wants you fired. I still though Bo had to go because it is not acceptable to let teams run the ball down your throat repeatedly and not adjust.

4 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I thought Bo got a raw deal from Perlman. It must have been tough coaching when you know the head rat wants you fired. I still though Bo had to go because it is not acceptable to let teams run the ball down your throat repeatedly and not adjust.

Maybe you're right. That's why coaches get essentially millions in insured money no matter what - because the job is hard and sometimes its not fair.

• Plus1 1
On 4/6/2019 at 11:24 PM, MichiganDad3 said:

So you think that Bo  had to go, but Perlman was a rat for agreeing with you?

• Plus1 1

On 4/4/2019 at 1:10 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think Bo had a lot of fan support, or at least fans who weren't ready to fire him in 2014. Those fans were nicer than Bo deserved. Bo was wrong about the crowd at the Ohio State game. Nebraska fans are actually pretty smart about what makes good football. 

And the firing was by no means idiotic. Bo did not want to be at Nebraska and had his agent fishing for every college vacancy since 2011. It wasn't that he was mean, or used bad words, or that people were too sensitive. It's that he valued loyalty above all and mistrusted anyone who might challenge him. He circled the wagons and turned his team against their own fans. He was an a$$h@!e in 2003, too.

And if firing the coach with the 9 win magic was idiotic, Bo Pelini would have been swept up by another Power 5 school, rather than pulling his same tired schtick at Youngstown State on the way to a 27 - 22 record. 

No he wasn't wrong.

False

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Perlman being a rat has nothing to do with agreeing with me on this single point, and had TO remained athletic director, Bo's behavior and performance may have been different. 

Ummmm.....I'm pretty sure Bo had attitude issues while TO was AD and TO had to bring him in and talk about it.

So, I'm guessing if TO remained AD, he still would have had issues.

14 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Perlman being a rat has nothing to do with agreeing with me on this single point, and had TO remained athletic director, Bo's behavior and performance may have been different. 

Tom Osborne was Bo Pelini's athletic director when Bo famously said "f the fans, f the media, I am so out of here!" after the 2011 Ohio State game.

A game where, in fact, the vast majority of Husker fans stayed in their seats and cheered wildly for the biggest comeback in Nebraska football history. 

The only person not enjoying that historic moment was Bo Pelini, showing the thin-skin and childish behavior that suggested the private Bo was even worse than the public Bo. 

btw....the single point where you agree with Perlman is the whole point we're talking about. 

• Plus1 2